Pole Panorama nadirs: is a wider view possible?

  • Margaret & Dean Graetz
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2010
      Folks,

      My problem is that I wish to use panoramas for landscape monitoring.

      While the usual panorama is visually compelling, it is the
      nadir view - especially from a pole pano - that can be particularly
      informative.

      The issue is that a nadir cube face is a relatively small
      area sample, even using a 3m pole (and a Nikkor 10.5 mm lens).

      My question: is there a another projection available (via
      PTGui Pro) that provides a larger area nadir view?

      Even if it is a flattened 'bowl', and thus distorted, it
      would remain informative.

      Any advice will be appreciated.

      Thanks in advance.

      Cheers, Dean Graetz
      --
      *************************************
      Margaret & Dean Graetz
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2010
        I'm not sure if I got this correctly but befor we go on, which camera do you use and at which orientation do you shoot the nadir image?

        With a 10,5 and a fullframe sensor I would highly recommend to point the camera down for the nadir if the image information is important.

        Cheers
        J├╝rgen

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Margaret & Dean Graetz <graetz@...> wrote:

        > Folks,
        >
        > My problem is that I wish to use panoramas for landscape monitoring.
        >
        > While the usual panorama is visually compelling, it is the
        > nadir view - especially from a pole pano - that can be particularly
        > informative.
        >
        > The issue is that a nadir cube face is a relatively small
        > area sample, even using a 3m pole (and a Nikkor 10.5 mm lens).
        >
        > My question: is there a another projection available (via
        > PTGui Pro) that provides a larger area nadir view?
        >
        > Even if it is a flattened 'bowl', and thus distorted, it
        > would remain informative.
        >
        > Any advice will be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Cheers, Dean Graetz
        > --
        > *************************************
        > Margaret & Dean Graetz
        > 7 Prell Place
        > Hackett, ACT 2602
        > Australia
        > Phone (02) 6247, 0354
        > *************************************

      • erik_leeman
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2010
          If you already have perfect 360x180 degree equirectangular images, you could try 'Stereographic' re-projections, a.k.a. 'little planets'.

          If you want as little distortion as possible you could pitch your equirectangulars by 90 degrees in PTGui, so the nadir is moved to the centre of the image, and subsequently let PTGui make 120 by 120 degree rectilinear remaps of that centre.

          Erik Leeman

          (<http://www.erikleeman.com>)

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Margaret & Dean Graetz wrote:

          > Folks,
          >
          > My problem is that I wish to use panoramas for landscape monitoring.
          >
          > While the usual panorama is visually compelling, it is the nadir
          > view - especially from a pole pano - that can be particularly
          > informative.
          >
          > The issue is that a nadir cube face is a relatively small area
          > sample, even using a 3m pole (and a Nikkor 10.5 mm lens).
          >
          > My question: is there a another projection available (via PTGui
          > Pro) that provides a larger area nadir view?
          >
          > Even if it is a flattened 'bowl', and thus distorted, it would
          > remain informative.
          >
          > Any advice will be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Cheers, Dean Graetz
        • David
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 2010
            I used Hugin to do this 'stereographic' view of the Pantheon.

            http://www.panoguide.com/gallery/1631/

            The stereographic projection favors the periphery of the image. If you use a fisheye projection it favors the Zenith. (i.e. the center is displayed enlarged compared to the periphery). Just rotate your nadir to the zenith position and use fisheye projection to do what you want.

            I hope I understood what you want correctly.

            David B