Re: [PanoToolsNG] For Pano2VR users: Instant Fullscreen preloader

  • Eric O'Brien
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 30, 2010
      (I haven't gotten to more recent posts on this, so maybe someone has
      already mentioned this...)

      First, as to keyboard input being limited when Flash content is
      displayed full screen in a browser, see this page at Adobe's site: <http://preview.tinyurl.com/ydwowfz

      Excerpt:

      For content that is running in a browser, keyboard usage is restricted
      in full-screen mode. In Flash Player 9, only keyboard shortcuts that
      return the application to normal mode, such as pressing the Escape
      key, are supported. Users can�t enter text in text fields or navigate
      around the screen. In Flash Player 10 and later, certain non-printing
      keys (specifically the arrow keys, space, and Tab key) are supported.
      However, text input is still prohibited.

      Full-screen mode is always permitted in the stand-alone player or in a
      projector file. Also, keyboard usage (including text input) is fully
      supported in those environments.

      Now, regarding zooming and access to it...

      I wonder what fraction of *ordinary users* (not panorama producers)
      ever even GET the urge to zoom in or out. I'm sure that people
      viewing these sorts of images are getting more sophisticated as time
      goes by, but it wasn't too long ago that there were discussions about
      how to make users even realize that they could click and drag on the
      image to make it pan around!!

      It would be interesting to know how may ordinary people, when viewing
      panoramas, "request" a zoom *even when controls (buttons) are
      displayed in the image* (!)

      Plus, when a panorama is displayed in Full Screen mode, there is
      already going to be quite a lot of detail visible. Do we *need* to
      offer zoom, at all? And if a pano is not created with "extra"
      resolution, zooming in will quickly result in the image going
      "blurry." Something that certainly doesn't make the panorama more
      "compelling!"

      If we *do* create the panorama with that extra resolution, there will
      be the downside making it a significantly larger download. And
      (probably) result in a more sluggish response when panning. (I'm
      referring to ordinary, single-resolution panos, not "Giga/Multi Res"
      ones.)

      Finally, as Erik says below, it remains possible to add zoom buttons
      in the Pano2VR skin editor. Also, I have seen panos where the "button
      bar" (or whatever you want to call it) is reduced to a little tab when
      not in use. Click the tab and the bar "unrolls" onto the screen,
      making all the buttons accessible. The problem with this, however,
      is: how many ordinary people viewing that pano will actually CLICK on
      the tab??

      As an aside, the scroll wheel on my Logitech MX Revolution mouse works
      fine to activate zoom on these panoramas. That mouse is attached to a
      rather old Power Macintosh G4, running Mac OS X 10.5.8.

      eo

      On Mar 20, 2010, at 4:25 AM, erik_leeman wrote:

      > Okay, okay, zoom buttons are justifiable not only for ancient Apple
      > mice. I don't think it's possible to have some kind of 'mice
      > detection', so those buttons appear automatically when needed, or is
      > it?
      >
      > If you are referring to my fullscreen preloader with 'in this case',
      > please understand that ALL skin elements in the original Pano2VR
      > Flash panoramas that you might want to use it for are fully
      > functional. So any buttons you added in the skin editor will be
      > there and will work as intended.
      > Please note: for obvious reasons you don't need to add a fullscreen
      > button in your panorama skin!
      >
      > The preloader only adds an [Esc] button in the upper left hand
      > corner, so people can do what Adobe instructs them to do: press the
      > Esc button to leave fullscreen mode ; )
      >
      > Cheers!
      >
      > Erik Leeman
      >
      > (<http://www.erikleeman.com>)
      >
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bj�rn K Nilssen wrote:
      > > And for all those with non-standard mice/trackballs, tablets,
      > > notebooks, netbooks etc...
      > > Most people don't like to be left out just because they are not
      > > part of the majority. If you should follow hat rule to the full
      > > there should be no need to support anything else than Windows PC
      > > with a MS scroll mouse? No Macs at all then?.
      > > IMO we should support all configurations as far as possible - and
      > > in this case it's definitely very possible and easy to add some
      > > buttons on a panel than can be hidden/shown
      > > at the visitors request?.
      > > BTW, what I hate the most GUI-wise is autorotate that can't be
      > > turned off. Then I always
      > > leavae ASAP.

    • Eric O'Brien
      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 30, 2010