Action spherical stereo panoramas with video DSLRs

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 81 , Mar 24 5:37 PM
      http://www.mediavr.com/thanaglyph1.htm

      Here is a stereo panorama shot with two 5DmkIIs/10.5mm Nikkor in about 4 seconds. The cameras are in vertical orientation on a spinner gadget over my head on a monopod that I am holding. They are both shooting video -- in M mode, at 1/1250 sec, at 1000IS at 30fps at about f4 (it was quite dark). For 360 that means there are about 120 exposures for each side. I turned each of the fisheye shots into equi views 50 degree horizontal and 180 vertical.
      Then I loaded all the equi views -- left and right into PTGui having named them so that left and right alternated in the image sequence it was stitching. Then I used Generate Control Points and then deleted all the points that were on any near features. Then I optimized. Then I stitched the left view by omitting all the alternate images in the output options -- and ditto for the right view -- using Smartblend.
      And that was it.
      One advantage to the vertical orientation is I think is that it minimizes rolling shutter distortion which otherwise would have been extreme with the cameras spinning so fast. Mmm how to make it better.

      Peter M
    • Wim Koornneef
      Message 81 of 81 , May 4, 2010
        Wim Koornneef wrote:
        > ....When I thought about the issue this formula to calculate the number of
        > images that are needed popped up (*):
        >
        > A-reference number of images for a shoot in NPP=4
        > B-reference forward shift out of NPP (cm)=1
        > C-reference number of pixels of stitched pano (mpx)=20
        >
        > Number of images needed: A x (B + forward shift out of NPP) x C / size of
        > stitched pano
        >
        > (*) I made the formula based on some educated guesses about the relations
        > between the parameters so for sure it is not based on any real science...
        >
        > I my case I should have shot at least: 4x(8+1)x26/20= ~ 47 images instead
        > of 31.
        > For a larger output f.e. 10.000x5000 px (50mpx) I would need 90 images to
        > get a good result......

        The math above about the number of images needed when using a one camera 3D
        system is ok but I made a typo in the formula, it should be:

        Number of images needed: A x (B + forward shift out of NPP) x size of
        stitched pano / C

        Wim