Re: [PanoToolsNG] Olympus PEN E-PL1 & ZUIKO DIGITAL 8mm

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2010
      The Zuiko ED 8mm was my first (still only) fisheye lens, and I was not happy
      with it in the beginning due to purple fringing that I had never had to deal
      with when using wide angle lenses. But comparing the images from Zuiko 8mm
      to many other fisheye lenses, I think it is safe to say that it is quite a
      bit better than the other lenses, and with less purple fringing and a LOT
      less Chromatic Aberration (almost non existing). So my initial
      disappointment was simply based on no experience with fisheye lenses. Today
      I am quite happy with it, and can recommend it to others.

      I had hoped for as few as 5+1 images for a sphere... it is absolutely
      possible, but a better result is 6+1 and an even better result (most purple
      fringing eliminated) is had by shooting 6+6.

      I might have been interested in the E-PL1 + micro 4/3rds 8mm fisheye that is
      expected soon, but only recently I got me a E3, and that camera is the first
      ever to fit like a glove in my hands. Perfect size and feel and quality....
      so my interest in a E-PL1 setup has evaporated.... at least when it comes to
      my needs/wishes. I will most likely buy a Samyang 8mm lens for the 4/3
      systems (expected on the market now in March)... pretty sure it's far from
      the Zuiko quality, but it has good price vs. quality ratio, and would be
      fine for most realestate jobs... also less of a loss if it is stolen or
      dropped.

      Hopefully this helps in some way.

      Trausti