Re: [PanoToolsNG] Panosaurus

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
      On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:

      > Anyone here usee the Panosaurus with a fisheye lens?
      > Richard

      Panosaurus was my first pano head. It made sense for me to start with it
      because it was cheap, I knew nothing about other heads, and I didn't even
      know if panography was something that would keep my interest for more than a
      few days.

      If you have only a couple of projects to shoot, or need a short lived hobby,
      panosaurus will be fine, but personally I would not consider it for anything
      again, and mine I threw away when I decommissioned it. It was only fit for
      the trash can after getting warped in the sun (black porous PVC plastic is
      bound to warp in the sun) and then it broke badly after falling... again due
      to the material used in it.

      What I use now, are Nodal Ninja products (NN5 head, Ultimate R1 lensring, EZ
      leveler, D16 rotator) and THAT I am very happy for, and can absolutely
      recommend the NN products to others based on high quality build and super
      customer service.

      If you have a good camera, good lens, good software... you might just as
      well have a good head, or you will be jeopardizing all of your work because
      you try to save on the wrong account.

      Trausti

    • ziouga
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
        I still use this combo: Panosaurus + NikonD80 + Nikkor fisheye 10.5mm.

        Cons?
        A strong tendence to sway in windy days...

        I wouldn't recommend it for a professional daily use, but for leisure it's perfect and cheap.

        Greetings
        Alessandro Ugazio

        http://www.360cities.net/profile/alessandro-ugazio
      • conan
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2010
          Hi Richard,

          Not sure what part of the world you live in but you can have my old panosaurus for free if you want to pay for the box/postage? I'm in BC, Canada so may or may not be worth the shipping cost.

          It was my first panohead and back then I used a Nikon CP8400 with a crazy Nikon FC-E8 Fisheye Converter hanging on for dear life. Quite comical thinking about it now but it did the trick.

          Really though I would start off with the Nodal Ninja 3 if you can get it cheap. I think they are on version 5 now but that's more expensive.

          Andrew
        • Richard Gillespie
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4, 2010