Re: [PanoToolsNG] Panosaurus

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
      I have used it one upon a time.
      It's a perfect and cheap way to get introduced to the complexities of
      panoramic shooting.
      I upgraded to a NN5 to support more extreme conditions, such as being on top
      of a windy volcano. So for most conditions you can do just fine with the
      panosaurus. Also the panosaurus I had was a little larger and did not pack
      up as small as the NN5.

      -sacha

      --

      Sacha Griffin
      Southern Digital Solutions LLC

    • Wolfgang Lin
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
        Me too. I used it with Olympus E-520 + ZD 8mm before. Now I also use it with
        5D2 + Canon 15mm / 8mm. The only concern is its size that too big usually
        for me to bring it out and I am, as Sacha, migrating to NN5.. but I have to
        save some money first. :)

        Wolfgang

        2010/3/2 Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...>

        > I have used it one upon a time.
        > It's a perfect and cheap way to get introduced to the complexities of
        > panoramic shooting.
        > I upgraded to a NN5 to support more extreme conditions, such as being on
        > top
        > of a windy volcano. So for most conditions you can do just fine with the
        > panosaurus. Also the panosaurus I had was a little larger and did not pack
        > up as small as the NN5.
        >
        > -sacha
        >

        > On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Richard <rcgvt@...<rcgvt%40comcast.net>>
        > wrote:
        >

        > > Anyone here usee the Panosaurus with a fisheye lens?
        > > Richard
        > >
        > > _,_._,___
        > >

        > --
        >
        > Sacha Griffin
        > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        > http://www.southern-digital.com
        > http://www.seeit360.net
        > 404-551-4275

        Wolfgang Lin
        http://www.hk360vr.net/

      • Trausti Hraunfjord
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
          On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:

          > Anyone here usee the Panosaurus with a fisheye lens?
          > Richard

          Panosaurus was my first pano head. It made sense for me to start with it
          because it was cheap, I knew nothing about other heads, and I didn't even
          know if panography was something that would keep my interest for more than a
          few days.

          If you have only a couple of projects to shoot, or need a short lived hobby,
          panosaurus will be fine, but personally I would not consider it for anything
          again, and mine I threw away when I decommissioned it. It was only fit for
          the trash can after getting warped in the sun (black porous PVC plastic is
          bound to warp in the sun) and then it broke badly after falling... again due
          to the material used in it.

          What I use now, are Nodal Ninja products (NN5 head, Ultimate R1 lensring, EZ
          leveler, D16 rotator) and THAT I am very happy for, and can absolutely
          recommend the NN products to others based on high quality build and super
          customer service.

          If you have a good camera, good lens, good software... you might just as
          well have a good head, or you will be jeopardizing all of your work because
          you try to save on the wrong account.

          Trausti

        • ziouga
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
            I still use this combo: Panosaurus + NikonD80 + Nikkor fisheye 10.5mm.

            Cons?
            A strong tendence to sway in windy days...

            I wouldn't recommend it for a professional daily use, but for leisure it's perfect and cheap.

            Greetings
            Alessandro Ugazio

            http://www.360cities.net/profile/alessandro-ugazio
          • conan
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2010
              Hi Richard,

              Not sure what part of the world you live in but you can have my old panosaurus for free if you want to pay for the box/postage? I'm in BC, Canada so may or may not be worth the shipping cost.

              It was my first panohead and back then I used a Nikon CP8400 with a crazy Nikon FC-E8 Fisheye Converter hanging on for dear life. Quite comical thinking about it now but it did the trick.

              Really though I would start off with the Nodal Ninja 3 if you can get it cheap. I think they are on version 5 now but that's more expensive.

              Andrew
            • Richard Gillespie
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4, 2010