Re: OT > Re: [PanoToolsNG] Remove GSV - what about GRV ?

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
      On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

      > That reminds me to the movie Idiocracy (
      > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/).

      Idiocracy... yes, that is the primary system the "democratic" and "human
      protectionist" live by. It is permitted to display murder victims, war
      victims, tsunami victims etc in prime time news, without prior warnings of
      any kind, yet a kissing scene in a movie can land that movie into some
      censor class, because it is not for kids/teenagers to see such vile things.

      And no, I am not exaggerating anything by stating the above. Idiocracy is
      what we have, but those who support that system, won't see how wrong it is,
      because they are a part of it.

      What's next? Will we need government authorization to be able to purchase
      cameras, have to be members of the press to shoot in public, and only if we
      blur everyone's faces, every vehicle license plate and every street sign?
      There is not much more needed for such things to take place. Only a few
      more idiocrats elected to the right offices, and that's it.

      Trausti

    • Jan Martin
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
        Ken,

        I am well aware that one can get better results by spending more on
        hardware.
        So I am really curious what Lucas 3-camera rig will be like.

        Can you please have a look at the workflow I use to stitch and advise how to
        make the best out of the 2-camera rig of mine?

        I am not really concerned about the nadir, as the camera will be mounted on
        a cars rooftop, and the nadir probably covered up by a huge logo anyway.

        Thanks,
        Jan

        On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

        > Suggestion: use 4 cameras and zoom in a bit. That would
        > get rid of a lot of the softness. The nadir is a write off.
        >

        > Jan Martin wrote:
        > > Bostjan,
        > >
        > > have a look at
        > > http://www.diy-streetview.org
        > >
        > > I published the first panos taken by 2x FC-E8 and Canon A570IS today.
        > >
        > > Jan
        > >
        > > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...<si_lander%40yahoo.com>>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > >> Seems interesting project. Notice me when you'll finish it and I can
        > jump
        > >> to you to see the finished one-shot sytem in live ;) I still have
        > somewhere
        > >> my FC-8 and I bought Nikon P6000 few days ago but I even don't have a
        > clue
        > >> how to assemble them toghether :(
        > >> Bostjan
        > >>
        > >> --- On Sat, 2/27/10, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...<luca.vascon%40gmail.com>
        > <luca.vascon%40gmail.com>>
        > >> wrote:
        > >>
        > >> From: luca vascon <luca.vascon@... <luca.vascon%40gmail.com><luca.vascon%
        > 40gmail.com>>
        >
        > >> Subject: [PanoToolsNG] One Shot Project
        > >> To: "panotoolsng" <PANOtoolsng@yahoogroups.com<PANOtoolsng%40yahoogroups.com>
        > <PANOtoolsng%40yahoogroups.com>
        >
        > >> Date: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 2:10 PM
        > >>

        > >> http://www.officine panottiche. com/blog/ ?p=515&lang= it
        > >>

        > >> Slowly building up the new camera...
        > >>
        > >> --
        > >>
        > >> Luca Vascon.

        http://www.DIY-streetview.org

      • luca vascon
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
          Well.. while i do agree with both in many sides of the problem, I would
          differentiate images people take willing to take it, from the image taken
          by any kind of surveillance camera or system.
          I'd say that google sv is a surveillance camera VR and should submit to its
          rules.
          Unles someone is there to see any pano that comes out and takes
          responsability to share or not to share it.
          Photographer's VRs are not the same.
          We are responsable about the image we publish and what is in, or who is
          recognizable. And I think this is right.
          If I have a surveillance camera in public space I have to obey to VERY
          strict rules, about preservation, visioning and use of the images and video.
          As well as any other private or public entity. I'm happy, by law my images
          are not to go in big brother's hands, nor by the government nor by private,
          etc.
          Why Google should not follow these rules!?
          I may be sociopatic and I live on an island with 6000 inhabitants, but I
          want my freedom and privacy of human being, and will not sacrifice in name
          of fake "safetyness" or profit of anyone...
          ;-)

          2010/2/27 Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...>

          > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          > > That reminds me to the movie Idiocracy (
          > > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/).
          > >

          > Idiocracy... yes, that is the primary system the "democratic" and "human
          > protectionist" live by. It is permitted to display murder victims, war
          > victims, tsunami victims etc in prime time news, without prior warnings of
          > any kind, yet a kissing scene in a movie can land that movie into some
          > censor class, because it is not for kids/teenagers to see such vile things.
          >
          > And no, I am not exaggerating anything by stating the above. Idiocracy is
          > what we have, but those who support that system, won't see how wrong it is,
          > because they are a part of it.
          >
          > What's next? Will we need government authorization to be able to purchase
          > cameras, have to be members of the press to shoot in public, and only if we
          > blur everyone's faces, every vehicle license plate and every street sign?
          > There is not much more needed for such things to take place. Only a few
          > more idiocrats elected to the right offices, and that's it.
          >
          > Trausti

          Luca Vascon.

          www.canalview.it

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
            Jan's idea is somehow cheaper, but also simpler, and simpler is ALWAYS
            better.
            Yes, some quality is sacrified when you choose to stitch in the last 5
            degrees all around an optical adapter fisheye (although the best one!) but,
            believe me that I feel I'll have more stitching problem than him when it
            takes to the stitching process.
            And I'll always have a weak zenit, like him. Yet a bit more of resolution
            My approach is more to the eventcam than to the streetview, I choose to
            start with 3 even coz I plan to zoom in a bit, angle the cameras the right
            way and try shooting video too.
            I'm ready to switch to the 2 camera approach Jan proposes if I find that it
            leads to my purposes better.
            I've got 4 of those A460, paid 30 eurs each second hand, in 3 months
            ebaying, and a total of 4 Soligors and 3 fc-e8, between me and Chiara.
            I always bought these adapters 2nd hand for few bucks in the last 8 years.
            Rule, the nikon under 75eurs, the Soligor under 50. Let the time pass and
            use ebay instruments wisely. You get 1lens every 50 passing by, or less. But
            there are more than 100 per year on ebay.
            I have always planned the thing in the last years, waiting the cameras I
            desired to get cheaper and 2nd hand.
            Now I'm putting things together.
            :-)
            If I had a real job, maybe I could have been building a ladybug at home 6
            years ago...

            2010/2/27 Jan Martin <janmartin@...>

            > Ken,
            >
            > I am well aware that one can get better results by spending more on
            > hardware.
            > So I am really curious what Lucas 3-camera rig will be like.
            >
            > Can you please have a look at the workflow I use to stitch and advise how
            > make the best out of the 2-camera rig of mine?
            >
            > I am not really concerned about the nadir, as the camera will be mounted on
            > a cars rooftop, and the nadir probably covered up by a huge logo anyway.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Jan
            >

            > --
            Luca Vascon.

            www.canalview.it
            www.officinepanottiche.com

          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
              Well, I don't know how exactly I could look at
              your work flow but if I was doing it, I'd tilt up
              a few degrees -- maybe 2-4 degrees -- can't tilt up too much
              for a 2 shot. Others on the list would have a
              better estimate or if it would be a good thing
              to do because I've never tried a two shot with
              my stuff. Because the nadir's a write off
              anyway and maybe you'd get a better zenith.

              But it's not really all that bad for what it is.

              I shoot 4 minimum with a fisheye because that sharpens
              the seams. Sometimes I'll use the fisheye as almost
              a full frame fisheye leaving only a small amount of
              vignetting in the corners, then tilt up or down 20 degrees
              and patch the pole with a hole.

            • Jan Martin
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                Ken,

                I wrote the workflow down:
                http://www.diy-streetview.org > right hand side, in the "pages" box.

                The idea is to develop a workflow that will allow beginners to do a decent
                automatic stitching of hundreds of image pairs.

                Jan

                Direct links:
                http://www.diy-streetview.org/how-to-shooting-streetviews
                http://www.diy-streetview.org/how-to-lens-parameters
                http://www.diy-streetview.org/how-to-create-template-pto
                http://www.diy-streetview.org/how-to-stitch-all-files-in-a-folder

                On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:22 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

                > Well, I don't know how exactly I could look at
                > your work flow but if I was doing it, I'd tilt up
                > a few degrees -- maybe 2-4 degrees -- can't tilt up too much
                > for a 2 shot. Others on the list would have a
                > better estimate or if it would be a good thing
                > to do because I've never tried a two shot with
                > my stuff. Because the nadir's a write off
                > anyway and maybe you'd get a better zenith.
                >
                > But it's not really all that bad for what it is.
                >
                > I shoot 4 minimum with a fisheye because that sharpens
                > the seams. Sometimes I'll use the fisheye as almost
                > a full frame fisheye leaving only a small amount of
                > vignetting in the corners, then tilt up or down 20 degrees
                > and patch the pole with a hole.
                >

                > Jan Martin wrote:
                > > Ken,
                > >
                > > I am well aware that one can get better results by spending more on
                > > hardware.
                > > So I am really curious what Lucas 3-camera rig will be like.
                > >
                > > Can you please have a look at the workflow I use to stitch and advise how
                > > make the best out of the 2-camera rig of mine?
                > >
                > > I am not really concerned about the nadir, as the camera will be mounted
                > on
                > > a cars rooftop, and the nadir probably covered up by a huge logo anyway.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Jan
                > >

                > > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...<kwarner000%40verizon.net>>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > >> Suggestion: use 4 cameras and zoom in a bit. That would
                > >> get rid of a lot of the softness. The nadir is a write off.

                > <si_lander%40yahoo.com>>

                > >> jump
                > >> somewhere
                > >> clue

                > <luca.vascon%40gmail.com>
                > >> <luca.vascon%40gmail.com>>

                > 40gmail.com><luca.vascon%
                >
                > >> 40gmail.com>>

                > <PANOtoolsng%40yahoogroups.com>
                > >> <PANOtoolsng%40yahoogroups.com>

                http://www.DIY-streetview.org

              • Trausti Hraunfjord
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                  Well, I would lobby for the introduction of a law that requires everyone who
                  doesn't want to be photographed in public, to wear ski-masks or some other
                  form of masks that make their faces unrecognizable.

                  It should be their right.

                  If I was photographed in public and had my face smudged, I would demand
                  de-smudging of my face, since I never gave permission to smudge it, and by
                  being in public, I have accepted to have my pictures taken.

                  In Denmark it is forbidden by law to obscure one's face with a mask or cloth
                  or anything... unless you are in the police. Wearing closed visor
                  motorcycle helmets is also forbidden if you are close to a demonstration....
                  yet I have a hard time seeing Danish authorities demanding of Google to have
                  people's faces de-smudged.

                  Laws and regulations are the tools of those who want to control us. They
                  say it's to protect our freedoms and rights... yet they are preventing us to
                  be free and do harmless things such as shooting pictures.

                  Ah, well... it won't change just because I don't agree with such things. I
                  just want to be free to take photos of whatever I want to, when I want to,
                  and my intentions have never been to bother anyone. Yet I have been treated
                  like a terrorist suspect.

                  Things will become much worse before anyone will put a permanent stopper for
                  the further free-fall of our rights to take pictures.

                  Trausti

                • mc
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                    .

                    > Things will become much worse before anyone will put a permanent stopper for
                    > the further free-fall of our rights to take pictures.

                    I think taking photographs should be made illegal.
                    Then we will see who wants to do it ;-)

                    mick
                  • Isaac Garcia
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010