OT > Re: [PanoToolsNG] Remove GSV - what about GRV ?

  • Bostjan Burger
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
      That reminds me to the movie Idiocracy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/).
      But seriously - even academic people which I know are positive with banning the GSV. I did a 'town view' with about 300 VRs connected with hotspots in 1999. I had many troubles in that time and officials asked me who gave me the right to do that... but as that was only a 'panic' in that time I have continued with 'town views'. More serious problems appeared last May when Greece banned GSV and some people who are 'protecting innocent public' in my place got some arguments to stop making that kind of VRs in public. At the moment it is still legal in my place but if  that story about Europe vs Google is true the logical step will be banning VRs everywhere in public places... and not only that... even all photo galleries as Flickr, MS Photosynth services e.t. c. are under the rule ...and all TV broadcasting...no more news, Google Earth is going to be stopped, no more satellites, right... Idiocracy ...
      PS...O.K. not panic for me... I have still many caves to document (lol).

      Bostjan

    • Trausti Hraunfjord
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
        On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

        > That reminds me to the movie Idiocracy (
        > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/).

        Idiocracy... yes, that is the primary system the "democratic" and "human
        protectionist" live by. It is permitted to display murder victims, war
        victims, tsunami victims etc in prime time news, without prior warnings of
        any kind, yet a kissing scene in a movie can land that movie into some
        censor class, because it is not for kids/teenagers to see such vile things.

        And no, I am not exaggerating anything by stating the above. Idiocracy is
        what we have, but those who support that system, won't see how wrong it is,
        because they are a part of it.

        What's next? Will we need government authorization to be able to purchase
        cameras, have to be members of the press to shoot in public, and only if we
        blur everyone's faces, every vehicle license plate and every street sign?
        There is not much more needed for such things to take place. Only a few
        more idiocrats elected to the right offices, and that's it.

        Trausti

      • Jan Martin
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
          Ken,

          I am well aware that one can get better results by spending more on
          hardware.
          So I am really curious what Lucas 3-camera rig will be like.

          Can you please have a look at the workflow I use to stitch and advise how to
          make the best out of the 2-camera rig of mine?

          I am not really concerned about the nadir, as the camera will be mounted on
          a cars rooftop, and the nadir probably covered up by a huge logo anyway.

          Thanks,
          Jan

          On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

          > Suggestion: use 4 cameras and zoom in a bit. That would
          > get rid of a lot of the softness. The nadir is a write off.
          >

          > Jan Martin wrote:
          > > Bostjan,
          > >
          > > have a look at
          > > http://www.diy-streetview.org
          > >
          > > I published the first panos taken by 2x FC-E8 and Canon A570IS today.
          > >
          > > Jan
          > >
          > > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...<si_lander%40yahoo.com>>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > >> Seems interesting project. Notice me when you'll finish it and I can
          > jump
          > >> to you to see the finished one-shot sytem in live ;) I still have
          > somewhere
          > >> my FC-8 and I bought Nikon P6000 few days ago but I even don't have a
          > clue
          > >> how to assemble them toghether :(
          > >> Bostjan
          > >>
          > >> --- On Sat, 2/27/10, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...<luca.vascon%40gmail.com>
          > <luca.vascon%40gmail.com>>
          > >> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> From: luca vascon <luca.vascon@... <luca.vascon%40gmail.com><luca.vascon%
          > 40gmail.com>>
          >
          > >> Subject: [PanoToolsNG] One Shot Project
          > >> To: "panotoolsng" <PANOtoolsng@yahoogroups.com<PANOtoolsng%40yahoogroups.com>
          > <PANOtoolsng%40yahoogroups.com>
          >
          > >> Date: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 2:10 PM
          > >>

          > >> http://www.officine panottiche. com/blog/ ?p=515&lang= it
          > >>

          > >> Slowly building up the new camera...
          > >>
          > >> --
          > >>
          > >> Luca Vascon.

          http://www.DIY-streetview.org

        • luca vascon
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
            Well.. while i do agree with both in many sides of the problem, I would
            differentiate images people take willing to take it, from the image taken
            by any kind of surveillance camera or system.
            I'd say that google sv is a surveillance camera VR and should submit to its
            rules.
            Unles someone is there to see any pano that comes out and takes
            responsability to share or not to share it.
            Photographer's VRs are not the same.
            We are responsable about the image we publish and what is in, or who is
            recognizable. And I think this is right.
            If I have a surveillance camera in public space I have to obey to VERY
            strict rules, about preservation, visioning and use of the images and video.
            As well as any other private or public entity. I'm happy, by law my images
            are not to go in big brother's hands, nor by the government nor by private,
            etc.
            Why Google should not follow these rules!?
            I may be sociopatic and I live on an island with 6000 inhabitants, but I
            want my freedom and privacy of human being, and will not sacrifice in name
            of fake "safetyness" or profit of anyone...
            ;-)

            2010/2/27 Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...>

            > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...>
            > wrote:
            >

            > > That reminds me to the movie Idiocracy (
            > > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/).
            > >

            > Idiocracy... yes, that is the primary system the "democratic" and "human
            > protectionist" live by. It is permitted to display murder victims, war
            > victims, tsunami victims etc in prime time news, without prior warnings of
            > any kind, yet a kissing scene in a movie can land that movie into some
            > censor class, because it is not for kids/teenagers to see such vile things.
            >
            > And no, I am not exaggerating anything by stating the above. Idiocracy is
            > what we have, but those who support that system, won't see how wrong it is,
            > because they are a part of it.
            >
            > What's next? Will we need government authorization to be able to purchase
            > cameras, have to be members of the press to shoot in public, and only if we
            > blur everyone's faces, every vehicle license plate and every street sign?
            > There is not much more needed for such things to take place. Only a few
            > more idiocrats elected to the right offices, and that's it.
            >
            > Trausti

            Luca Vascon.

            www.canalview.it

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
              Jan's idea is somehow cheaper, but also simpler, and simpler is ALWAYS
              better.
              Yes, some quality is sacrified when you choose to stitch in the last 5
              degrees all around an optical adapter fisheye (although the best one!) but,
              believe me that I feel I'll have more stitching problem than him when it
              takes to the stitching process.
              And I'll always have a weak zenit, like him. Yet a bit more of resolution
              My approach is more to the eventcam than to the streetview, I choose to
              start with 3 even coz I plan to zoom in a bit, angle the cameras the right
              way and try shooting video too.
              I'm ready to switch to the 2 camera approach Jan proposes if I find that it
              leads to my purposes better.
              I've got 4 of those A460, paid 30 eurs each second hand, in 3 months
              ebaying, and a total of 4 Soligors and 3 fc-e8, between me and Chiara.
              I always bought these adapters 2nd hand for few bucks in the last 8 years.
              Rule, the nikon under 75eurs, the Soligor under 50. Let the time pass and
              use ebay instruments wisely. You get 1lens every 50 passing by, or less. But
              there are more than 100 per year on ebay.
              I have always planned the thing in the last years, waiting the cameras I
              desired to get cheaper and 2nd hand.
              Now I'm putting things together.
              :-)
              If I had a real job, maybe I could have been building a ladybug at home 6
              years ago...

              2010/2/27 Jan Martin <janmartin@...>

              > Ken,
              >
              > I am well aware that one can get better results by spending more on
              > hardware.
              > So I am really curious what Lucas 3-camera rig will be like.
              >
              > Can you please have a look at the workflow I use to stitch and advise how
              > make the best out of the 2-camera rig of mine?
              >
              > I am not really concerned about the nadir, as the camera will be mounted on
              > a cars rooftop, and the nadir probably covered up by a huge logo anyway.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Jan
              >

              > --
              Luca Vascon.

              www.canalview.it
              www.officinepanottiche.com

            • Ken Warner
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                Well, I don't know how exactly I could look at
                your work flow but if I was doing it, I'd tilt up
                a few degrees -- maybe 2-4 degrees -- can't tilt up too much
                for a 2 shot. Others on the list would have a
                better estimate or if it would be a good thing
                to do because I've never tried a two shot with
                my stuff. Because the nadir's a write off
                anyway and maybe you'd get a better zenith.

                But it's not really all that bad for what it is.

                I shoot 4 minimum with a fisheye because that sharpens
                the seams. Sometimes I'll use the fisheye as almost
                a full frame fisheye leaving only a small amount of
                vignetting in the corners, then tilt up or down 20 degrees
                and patch the pole with a hole.

              • Jan Martin
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                  Ken,

                  I wrote the workflow down:
                  http://www.diy-streetview.org > right hand side, in the "pages" box.

                  The idea is to develop a workflow that will allow beginners to do a decent
                  automatic stitching of hundreds of image pairs.

                  Jan

                  Direct links:
                  http://www.diy-streetview.org/how-to-shooting-streetviews
                  http://www.diy-streetview.org/how-to-lens-parameters
                  http://www.diy-streetview.org/how-to-create-template-pto
                  http://www.diy-streetview.org/how-to-stitch-all-files-in-a-folder

                  On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:22 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

                  > Well, I don't know how exactly I could look at
                  > your work flow but if I was doing it, I'd tilt up
                  > a few degrees -- maybe 2-4 degrees -- can't tilt up too much
                  > for a 2 shot. Others on the list would have a
                  > better estimate or if it would be a good thing
                  > to do because I've never tried a two shot with
                  > my stuff. Because the nadir's a write off
                  > anyway and maybe you'd get a better zenith.
                  >
                  > But it's not really all that bad for what it is.
                  >
                  > I shoot 4 minimum with a fisheye because that sharpens
                  > the seams. Sometimes I'll use the fisheye as almost
                  > a full frame fisheye leaving only a small amount of
                  > vignetting in the corners, then tilt up or down 20 degrees
                  > and patch the pole with a hole.
                  >

                  > Jan Martin wrote:
                  > > Ken,
                  > >
                  > > I am well aware that one can get better results by spending more on
                  > > hardware.
                  > > So I am really curious what Lucas 3-camera rig will be like.
                  > >
                  > > Can you please have a look at the workflow I use to stitch and advise how
                  > > make the best out of the 2-camera rig of mine?
                  > >
                  > > I am not really concerned about the nadir, as the camera will be mounted
                  > on
                  > > a cars rooftop, and the nadir probably covered up by a huge logo anyway.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Jan
                  > >

                  > > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...<kwarner000%40verizon.net>>
                  > wrote:
                  > >

                  > >> Suggestion: use 4 cameras and zoom in a bit. That would
                  > >> get rid of a lot of the softness. The nadir is a write off.

                  > <si_lander%40yahoo.com>>

                  > >> jump
                  > >> somewhere
                  > >> clue

                  > <luca.vascon%40gmail.com>
                  > >> <luca.vascon%40gmail.com>>

                  > 40gmail.com><luca.vascon%
                  >
                  > >> 40gmail.com>>

                  > <PANOtoolsng%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > >> <PANOtoolsng%40yahoogroups.com>

                  http://www.DIY-streetview.org

                • Trausti Hraunfjord
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                    Well, I would lobby for the introduction of a law that requires everyone who
                    doesn't want to be photographed in public, to wear ski-masks or some other
                    form of masks that make their faces unrecognizable.

                    It should be their right.

                    If I was photographed in public and had my face smudged, I would demand
                    de-smudging of my face, since I never gave permission to smudge it, and by
                    being in public, I have accepted to have my pictures taken.

                    In Denmark it is forbidden by law to obscure one's face with a mask or cloth
                    or anything... unless you are in the police. Wearing closed visor
                    motorcycle helmets is also forbidden if you are close to a demonstration....
                    yet I have a hard time seeing Danish authorities demanding of Google to have
                    people's faces de-smudged.

                    Laws and regulations are the tools of those who want to control us. They
                    say it's to protect our freedoms and rights... yet they are preventing us to
                    be free and do harmless things such as shooting pictures.

                    Ah, well... it won't change just because I don't agree with such things. I
                    just want to be free to take photos of whatever I want to, when I want to,
                    and my intentions have never been to bother anyone. Yet I have been treated
                    like a terrorist suspect.

                    Things will become much worse before anyone will put a permanent stopper for
                    the further free-fall of our rights to take pictures.

                    Trausti

                  • mc
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                      .

                      > Things will become much worse before anyone will put a permanent stopper for
                      > the further free-fall of our rights to take pictures.

                      I think taking photographs should be made illegal.
                      Then we will see who wants to do it ;-)

                      mick
                    • Isaac Garcia
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010