Re: [PanoToolsNG] One Shot Project

  • Jan Martin
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
      Bostjan,

      have a look at
      http://www.diy-streetview.org

      I published the first panos taken by 2x FC-E8 and Canon A570IS today.

      Jan

      On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

      > Seems interesting project. Notice me when you'll finish it and I can jump
      > to you to see the finished one-shot sytem in live ;) I still have somewhere
      > my FC-8 and I bought Nikon P6000 few days ago but I even don't have a clue
      > how to assemble them toghether :(
      > Bostjan
      >
      > --- On Sat, 2/27/10, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...<luca.vascon%40gmail.com>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > From: luca vascon <luca.vascon@... <luca.vascon%40gmail.com>>
      > Subject: [PanoToolsNG] One Shot Project
      > To: "panotoolsng" <PANOtoolsng@yahoogroups.com<PANOtoolsng%40yahoogroups.com>
      > >
      > Date: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 2:10 PM
      >

      > http://www.officine panottiche. com/blog/ ?p=515&lang= it
      >

      > Slowly building up the new camera...
      >
      > --
      >
      > Luca Vascon.

      http://www.DIY-streetview.org

    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
        Suggestion: use 4 cameras and zoom in a bit. That would
        get rid of a lot of the softness. The nadir is a write off.

        Jan Martin wrote:
        > Bostjan,
        >
        > have a look at
        > http://www.diy-streetview.org
        >
        > I published the first panos taken by 2x FC-E8 and Canon A570IS today.
        >
        > Jan
        >
        > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:
        >

        >> Seems interesting project. Notice me when you'll finish it and I can jump
        >> to you to see the finished one-shot sytem in live ;) I still have somewhere
        >> my FC-8 and I bought Nikon P6000 few days ago but I even don't have a clue
        >> how to assemble them toghether :(
        >> Bostjan
        >>
        >> --- On Sat, 2/27/10, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...<luca.vascon%40gmail.com>>
        >> wrote:
        >>
        >> From: luca vascon <luca.vascon@... <luca.vascon%40gmail.com>>
        >> Subject: [PanoToolsNG] One Shot Project
        >> To: "panotoolsng" <PANOtoolsng@yahoogroups.com<PANOtoolsng%40yahoogroups.com>
        >> Date: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 2:10 PM
        >>

        >> http://www.officine panottiche. com/blog/ ?p=515&lang= it
        >>

        >> Slowly building up the new camera...
        >>
        >> --
        >>
        >> Luca Vascon.

      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
          That reminds me to the movie Idiocracy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/).
          But seriously - even academic people which I know are positive with banning the GSV. I did a 'town view' with about 300 VRs connected with hotspots in 1999. I had many troubles in that time and officials asked me who gave me the right to do that... but as that was only a 'panic' in that time I have continued with 'town views'. More serious problems appeared last May when Greece banned GSV and some people who are 'protecting innocent public' in my place got some arguments to stop making that kind of VRs in public. At the moment it is still legal in my place but if  that story about Europe vs Google is true the logical step will be banning VRs everywhere in public places... and not only that... even all photo galleries as Flickr, MS Photosynth services e.t. c. are under the rule ...and all TV broadcasting...no more news, Google Earth is going to be stopped, no more satellites, right... Idiocracy ...
          PS...O.K. not panic for me... I have still many caves to document (lol).

          Bostjan

        • Trausti Hraunfjord
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
            On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

            > That reminds me to the movie Idiocracy (
            > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/).

            Idiocracy... yes, that is the primary system the "democratic" and "human
            protectionist" live by. It is permitted to display murder victims, war
            victims, tsunami victims etc in prime time news, without prior warnings of
            any kind, yet a kissing scene in a movie can land that movie into some
            censor class, because it is not for kids/teenagers to see such vile things.

            And no, I am not exaggerating anything by stating the above. Idiocracy is
            what we have, but those who support that system, won't see how wrong it is,
            because they are a part of it.

            What's next? Will we need government authorization to be able to purchase
            cameras, have to be members of the press to shoot in public, and only if we
            blur everyone's faces, every vehicle license plate and every street sign?
            There is not much more needed for such things to take place. Only a few
            more idiocrats elected to the right offices, and that's it.

            Trausti

          • Jan Martin
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
              Ken,

              I am well aware that one can get better results by spending more on
              hardware.
              So I am really curious what Lucas 3-camera rig will be like.

              Can you please have a look at the workflow I use to stitch and advise how to
              make the best out of the 2-camera rig of mine?

              I am not really concerned about the nadir, as the camera will be mounted on
              a cars rooftop, and the nadir probably covered up by a huge logo anyway.

              Thanks,
              Jan

              On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

              > Suggestion: use 4 cameras and zoom in a bit. That would
              > get rid of a lot of the softness. The nadir is a write off.
              >

              > Jan Martin wrote:
              > > Bostjan,
              > >
              > > have a look at
              > > http://www.diy-streetview.org
              > >
              > > I published the first panos taken by 2x FC-E8 and Canon A570IS today.
              > >
              > > Jan
              > >
              > > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...<si_lander%40yahoo.com>>
              > wrote:
              > >

              > >> Seems interesting project. Notice me when you'll finish it and I can
              > jump
              > >> to you to see the finished one-shot sytem in live ;) I still have
              > somewhere
              > >> my FC-8 and I bought Nikon P6000 few days ago but I even don't have a
              > clue
              > >> how to assemble them toghether :(
              > >> Bostjan
              > >>
              > >> --- On Sat, 2/27/10, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...<luca.vascon%40gmail.com>
              > <luca.vascon%40gmail.com>>
              > >> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> From: luca vascon <luca.vascon@... <luca.vascon%40gmail.com><luca.vascon%
              > 40gmail.com>>
              >
              > >> Subject: [PanoToolsNG] One Shot Project
              > >> To: "panotoolsng" <PANOtoolsng@yahoogroups.com<PANOtoolsng%40yahoogroups.com>
              > <PANOtoolsng%40yahoogroups.com>
              >
              > >> Date: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 2:10 PM
              > >>

              > >> http://www.officine panottiche. com/blog/ ?p=515&lang= it
              > >>

              > >> Slowly building up the new camera...
              > >>
              > >> --
              > >>
              > >> Luca Vascon.

              http://www.DIY-streetview.org

            • luca vascon
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                Well.. while i do agree with both in many sides of the problem, I would
                differentiate images people take willing to take it, from the image taken
                by any kind of surveillance camera or system.
                I'd say that google sv is a surveillance camera VR and should submit to its
                rules.
                Unles someone is there to see any pano that comes out and takes
                responsability to share or not to share it.
                Photographer's VRs are not the same.
                We are responsable about the image we publish and what is in, or who is
                recognizable. And I think this is right.
                If I have a surveillance camera in public space I have to obey to VERY
                strict rules, about preservation, visioning and use of the images and video.
                As well as any other private or public entity. I'm happy, by law my images
                are not to go in big brother's hands, nor by the government nor by private,
                etc.
                Why Google should not follow these rules!?
                I may be sociopatic and I live on an island with 6000 inhabitants, but I
                want my freedom and privacy of human being, and will not sacrifice in name
                of fake "safetyness" or profit of anyone...
                ;-)

                2010/2/27 Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...>

                > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...>
                > wrote:
                >

                > > That reminds me to the movie Idiocracy (
                > > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/).
                > >

                > Idiocracy... yes, that is the primary system the "democratic" and "human
                > protectionist" live by. It is permitted to display murder victims, war
                > victims, tsunami victims etc in prime time news, without prior warnings of
                > any kind, yet a kissing scene in a movie can land that movie into some
                > censor class, because it is not for kids/teenagers to see such vile things.
                >
                > And no, I am not exaggerating anything by stating the above. Idiocracy is
                > what we have, but those who support that system, won't see how wrong it is,
                > because they are a part of it.
                >
                > What's next? Will we need government authorization to be able to purchase
                > cameras, have to be members of the press to shoot in public, and only if we
                > blur everyone's faces, every vehicle license plate and every street sign?
                > There is not much more needed for such things to take place. Only a few
                > more idiocrats elected to the right offices, and that's it.
                >
                > Trausti

                Luca Vascon.

                www.canalview.it

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                  Jan's idea is somehow cheaper, but also simpler, and simpler is ALWAYS
                  better.
                  Yes, some quality is sacrified when you choose to stitch in the last 5
                  degrees all around an optical adapter fisheye (although the best one!) but,
                  believe me that I feel I'll have more stitching problem than him when it
                  takes to the stitching process.
                  And I'll always have a weak zenit, like him. Yet a bit more of resolution
                  My approach is more to the eventcam than to the streetview, I choose to
                  start with 3 even coz I plan to zoom in a bit, angle the cameras the right
                  way and try shooting video too.
                  I'm ready to switch to the 2 camera approach Jan proposes if I find that it
                  leads to my purposes better.
                  I've got 4 of those A460, paid 30 eurs each second hand, in 3 months
                  ebaying, and a total of 4 Soligors and 3 fc-e8, between me and Chiara.
                  I always bought these adapters 2nd hand for few bucks in the last 8 years.
                  Rule, the nikon under 75eurs, the Soligor under 50. Let the time pass and
                  use ebay instruments wisely. You get 1lens every 50 passing by, or less. But
                  there are more than 100 per year on ebay.
                  I have always planned the thing in the last years, waiting the cameras I
                  desired to get cheaper and 2nd hand.
                  Now I'm putting things together.
                  :-)
                  If I had a real job, maybe I could have been building a ladybug at home 6
                  years ago...

                  2010/2/27 Jan Martin <janmartin@...>

                  > Ken,
                  >
                  > I am well aware that one can get better results by spending more on
                  > hardware.
                  > So I am really curious what Lucas 3-camera rig will be like.
                  >
                  > Can you please have a look at the workflow I use to stitch and advise how
                  > make the best out of the 2-camera rig of mine?
                  >
                  > I am not really concerned about the nadir, as the camera will be mounted on
                  > a cars rooftop, and the nadir probably covered up by a huge logo anyway.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Jan
                  >

                  > --
                  Luca Vascon.

                  www.canalview.it

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                    Well, I don't know how exactly I could look at
                    your work flow but if I was doing it, I'd tilt up
                    a few degrees -- maybe 2-4 degrees -- can't tilt up too much
                    for a 2 shot. Others on the list would have a
                    better estimate or if it would be a good thing
                    to do because I've never tried a two shot with
                    my stuff. Because the nadir's a write off
                    anyway and maybe you'd get a better zenith.

                    But it's not really all that bad for what it is.

                    I shoot 4 minimum with a fisheye because that sharpens
                    the seams. Sometimes I'll use the fisheye as almost
                    a full frame fisheye leaving only a small amount of
                    vignetting in the corners, then tilt up or down 20 degrees
                    and patch the pole with a hole.

                  • Jan Martin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                      Ken,

                      I wrote the workflow down:
                      http://www.diy-streetview.org > right hand side, in the "pages" box.

                      The idea is to develop a workflow that will allow beginners to do a decent
                      automatic stitching of hundreds of image pairs.

                      Jan

                      Direct links:
                      http://www.diy-streetview.org/how-to-shooting-streetviews
                      http://www.diy-streetview.org/how-to-lens-parameters
                      http://www.diy-streetview.org/how-to-create-template-pto
                      http://www.diy-streetview.org/how-to-stitch-all-files-in-a-folder

                      On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:22 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

                      > Well, I don't know how exactly I could look at
                      > your work flow but if I was doing it, I'd tilt up
                      > a few degrees -- maybe 2-4 degrees -- can't tilt up too much
                      > for a 2 shot. Others on the list would have a
                      > better estimate or if it would be a good thing
                      > to do because I've never tried a two shot with
                      > my stuff. Because the nadir's a write off
                      > anyway and maybe you'd get a better zenith.
                      >
                      > But it's not really all that bad for what it is.
                      >
                      > I shoot 4 minimum with a fisheye because that sharpens
                      > the seams. Sometimes I'll use the fisheye as almost
                      > a full frame fisheye leaving only a small amount of
                      > vignetting in the corners, then tilt up or down 20 degrees
                      > and patch the pole with a hole.
                      >

                      > Jan Martin wrote:
                      > > Ken,
                      > >
                      > > I am well aware that one can get better results by spending more on
                      > > hardware.
                      > > So I am really curious what Lucas 3-camera rig will be like.
                      > >
                      > > Can you please have a look at the workflow I use to stitch and advise how
                      > > make the best out of the 2-camera rig of mine?
                      > >
                      > > I am not really concerned about the nadir, as the camera will be mounted
                      > on
                      > > a cars rooftop, and the nadir probably covered up by a huge logo anyway.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > Jan
                      > >

                      > > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...<kwarner000%40verizon.net>>
                      > wrote:
                      > >

                      > >> Suggestion: use 4 cameras and zoom in a bit. That would
                      > >> get rid of a lot of the softness. The nadir is a write off.

                      > <si_lander%40yahoo.com>>

                      > >> jump
                      > >> somewhere
                      > >> clue

                      > <luca.vascon%40gmail.com>
                      > >> <luca.vascon%40gmail.com>>

                      > 40gmail.com><luca.vascon%
                      >
                      > >> 40gmail.com>>

                      > <PANOtoolsng%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > >> <PANOtoolsng%40yahoogroups.com>

                      http://www.DIY-streetview.org

                    • Trausti Hraunfjord
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                        Well, I would lobby for the introduction of a law that requires everyone who
                        doesn't want to be photographed in public, to wear ski-masks or some other
                        form of masks that make their faces unrecognizable.

                        It should be their right.

                        If I was photographed in public and had my face smudged, I would demand
                        de-smudging of my face, since I never gave permission to smudge it, and by
                        being in public, I have accepted to have my pictures taken.

                        In Denmark it is forbidden by law to obscure one's face with a mask or cloth
                        or anything... unless you are in the police. Wearing closed visor
                        motorcycle helmets is also forbidden if you are close to a demonstration....
                        yet I have a hard time seeing Danish authorities demanding of Google to have
                        people's faces de-smudged.

                        Laws and regulations are the tools of those who want to control us. They
                        say it's to protect our freedoms and rights... yet they are preventing us to
                        be free and do harmless things such as shooting pictures.

                        Ah, well... it won't change just because I don't agree with such things. I
                        just want to be free to take photos of whatever I want to, when I want to,
                        and my intentions have never been to bother anyone. Yet I have been treated
                        like a terrorist suspect.

                        Things will become much worse before anyone will put a permanent stopper for
                        the further free-fall of our rights to take pictures.

                        Trausti

                      • mc
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                          .

                          > Things will become much worse before anyone will put a permanent stopper for
                          > the further free-fall of our rights to take pictures.

                          I think taking photographs should be made illegal.
                          Then we will see who wants to do it ;-)

                          mick
                        • Isaac Garcia
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010