Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: EU demands Google to remove GSV after 6 months.

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
      On 27 Feb 2010 at 14:36, Honza Kudr wrote:

      > Hi, according this article, I guess, that
      > this demand is ONLY for unblurred images!
      > http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9162798/EU_orders_Google_to_ditch_Str
      > eet_View_images_after_6_months

      Which makes a huge difference indeed!
      Looks like Google won't have to double their capacity after all then.

      > --
      > Google lawyer Peter Fleischer defended the search engine's year-long
      > retention period.
      >
      > "The need to retain the unblurred images is legitimate and justified - to
      > ensure the quality and accuracy of our maps, to improve our ability to
      > rectify mistakes in blurring, as well as to use the data we have collected
      > to build better maps products for our users," he said.
      >
      > "We have publicly committed to a retention period of 12 months from the date
      > on which images are published on Street View, and this is the period which
      > we will continue to meet globally."
    • Trausti Hraunfjord
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
        As it appeared to me in first round, the EU ruling would result in Google
        having to re-shoot already shot locations every 6 months... and that would
        have been a funny contradiction to stated goals of the EU: Save the
        enivronment, use less energy, reduce the use of fossil fuels etc... yet
        pushing Google to drive thousands of cars on every day basis all the time...
        and thereby polluting more than needed.

        With the clarification, I have much easier time accepting the ruling...
        albeit not agreeing with it.

        Trausti