EU demands Google to remove GSV after 6 months.

  • blueslander
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 26, 2010
      EU says Google must remove Street View images after 6 months

      http://www.neowin.net/news/eu-says-google-must-remove-street-view-images-after-6-months

      By Brad Sams
      The European Union (EU) has issued a devastating blow to Google saying that they must delete Street View images after 6 months

      Click the above link for the full article

      There is no lost love between me and Google, and that is not a secret to anyone around here.

      ... but I find these tactics by the EU to be nothing short of fascist tactics. I would rather have Google freely driving around shooting their street views, than being hit over the head with some draconian laws that have no place in free societies.

      Google is shooting panos in PUBLIC places, and .. well, public places are PUBLIC and the property of the PUBLIC, NOT the property of any government. No government asks the public for permission when they decide to take pictures of the public with CCTV or with traffic cameras, that also take pictures of people who are sitting iside their private (property) vehicles, yet they pretend to have the higher moral ground when it comes to others than themselves.

      That's just fascism. I'm just glad I am living in a banana republic, where the elected dictators haven't got the same kind of power trips as the ones in more "civilized" places.
    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 26, 2010
        A bit onedimensional our friend, eh?
        The problem is not taking pictures but the use of the pictures taken.
        Remember: It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole.

        Cheers
        Jürgen

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "blueslander" <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

        > EU says Google must remove Street View images after 6 months
        >
        > http://www.neowin.net/news/eu-says-google-must-remove-street-view-images-after-6-months
        >
        > By Brad Sams
        > The European Union (EU) has issued a devastating blow to Google saying that they must delete Street View images after 6 months
        >
        > Click the above link for the full article
        >
        > There is no lost love between me and Google, and that is not a secret to anyone around here.
        >
        > ... but I find these tactics by the EU to be nothing short of fascist tactics. I would rather have Google freely driving around shooting their street views, than being hit over the head with some draconian laws that have no place in free societies.
        >
        > Google is shooting panos in PUBLIC places, and .. well, public places are PUBLIC and the property of the PUBLIC, NOT the property of any government. No government asks the public for permission when they decide to take pictures of the public with CCTV or with traffic cameras, that also take pictures of people who are sitting iside their private (property) vehicles, yet they pretend to have the higher moral ground when it comes to others than themselves.
        >
        > That's just fascism. I'm just glad I am living in a banana republic, where the elected dictators haven't got the same kind of power trips as the ones in more "civilized" places.

      • luca vascon
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
          In Europe we have some laws that limit, restrain and control use of cctv,
          and, for instance compells to destroy the pictures taken with any kind of
          CCTV after a short period of time.
          Google street view is a kind of CCTV. If`I take panoramas around with my
          pole and act the shutter off my will it is a different thing. And I'm fully
          responsable, if I publish that image, about what the image depicts, if there
          is anybody recognizable and the picture threats the dignity of someone.
          For my pov is google the fascist, here!

          I agree with EU court decision, from a personal point of view, and from the
          photographer point of view I agree that respect of rules, and rules
          themselves are necessary.
          Some other rules are problematic, in Rome and Milano you can't use tripods,
          for a mix of old, new rules etc. If you take commercial pictures of
          monuments (read everything) you should pay enormous fees to municipality
          etc.
          These things are banana republic like!!

          In Venice, when I shot the Canal View I had to ask permission to
          VeniceFilmCommission. It was free, it was fast, and was necessary (they want
          to regulate things, simply knowing what is happening, ensuring you are
          informed of the basic rules, that you will not threaten anyone or stopping
          the traffic without municipality knowledge).
          I mean, if you have to make a film here, it is easier and cheaper than many
          other places, but mobility is an issue, and the municipality itself will
          grant the permission AND the limits AND the help, in some cases sending
          officers to control and assist you.
          I'd say that this thing is working fine, and helps both the city and the
          filmmakers ;-)
          When Ian Wood and I made a personal shot experiment, with a LEGO head in
          Pzza S.Marco on a 6 meters pole, NOBODY questioned. Neither the policemen
          that were passing by, laughing and going...

          2010/2/27 jrgen_schrader <panorama@...>

          > A bit onedimensional our friend, eh?
          > The problem is not taking pictures but the use of the pictures taken.
          > Remember: It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Jürgen
          >

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "blueslander" <trausti.hraunfjord@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > EU says Google must remove Street View images after 6 months
          > >

          > http://www.neowin.net/news/eu-says-google-must-remove-street-view-images-after-6-months
          > >
          > > By Brad Sams
          > > The European Union (EU) has issued a devastating blow to Google saying
          > that they must delete Street View images after 6 months
          > >
          > > Click the above link for the full article
          > >
          > > There is no lost love between me and Google, and that is not a secret to
          > anyone around here.
          > >
          > > ... but I find these tactics by the EU to be nothing short of fascist
          > tactics. I would rather have Google freely driving around shooting their
          > street views, than being hit over the head with some draconian laws that
          > have no place in free societies.
          > >
          > > Google is shooting panos in PUBLIC places, and .. well, public places are
          > PUBLIC and the property of the PUBLIC, NOT the property of any government.
          > No government asks the public for permission when they decide to take
          > pictures of the public with CCTV or with traffic cameras, that also take
          > pictures of people who are sitting iside their private (property) vehicles,
          > yet they pretend to have the higher moral ground when it comes to others
          > than themselves.
          > >
          > > That's just fascism. I'm just glad I am living in a banana republic,
          > where the elected dictators haven't got the same kind of power trips as the
          > ones in more "civilized" places.

          Luca Vascon.

          www.canalview.it
          www.officinepanottiche.com

        • Wim Koornneef
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
            jrgen_schrader wrote:
            > ......The problem is not taking pictures but the use of the pictures
            > taken.
            > Remember: It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole......
            Hello Jürgen,

            That is an interesting point of view, I know that there are positive and
            negative effects on streetview but that can be said about any new
            technology.
            I think the impact of streetview on the world is very complicated but again,
            that is true for a lot of new technologies and that for itself is not a
            reason to reject or abenden them.

            Just out of curiousity, do you think that Google is making "holes" with its
            streetview ?

            Best,
            Wim

          • Alan Campbell
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
              After the Street Vehicle, it's only a matter of time before we get the GRV- Google Rail Vehicle.
              There are some truly wonderful views of places only accessible by rail. In the Andes, the Rockies...

              Heck, in some countries railroads are the biggest form of transport.
              The views they offer get overlooked by the locals, but they're still spectacular.

              Someone should be making panos (or half-panos) before Google snatched the chance.
              If anyone wishes to donate a few thousand dollars my way, I'd happily fly to exotic locations and try to photograph the railway view.
              All donations welcome :)

              -- Alan

              I think the impact of streetview on the world is very complicated but again,
              that is true for a lot of new technologies and that for itself is not a
              reason to reject or abenden them.

              Just out of curiousity, do you think that Google is making "holes" with its
              streetview ?

            • Bernhard Vogl
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                Most rules are not invented to annoy photographers but to protect a
                site/object against the stupidity of the masses. ;-)

                Best
                Bernhard

              • Carlos Chegado - www.carloschegado.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                  > After the Street Vehicle, it's only a matter of time before we get the
                  > GRV- Google Rail Vehicle.
                  Well, we already have Willy covering the rail tracks;-)

                  And doing great by the way:
                  http://www.360cities.net/image/highspeed-intercity-express-train-ice-type1-original-restaurant-german-railway-db-germany

                  Os melhores cumprimentos,
                  Best regards,

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                  Carlos Chegado

                  Olho de Peixe Lda
                  Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
                  Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99

                  || Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
                  twitter.com/carloschegado ||

                  www.xprints.com ||

                  || 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||

                  On 27-02-2010 11:18, Alan Campbell wrote:
                  > After the Street Vehicle, it's only a matter of time before we get the
                  > GRV- Google Rail Vehicle.
                  > There are some truly wonderful views of places only accessible by
                  > rail. In the Andes, the Rockies...
                  >
                  > Heck, in some countries railroads are the biggest form of transport.
                  > The views they offer get overlooked by the locals, but they're still
                  > spectacular.
                  >
                  > Someone should be making panos (or half-panos) before Google snatched
                  > the chance.
                  > If anyone wishes to donate a few thousand dollars my way, I'd happily
                  > fly to exotic locations and try to photograph the railway view.
                  > All donations welcome :)
                  >
                  > -- Alan

                • Honza Kudr
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                    Hi, according this article, I guess, that
                    this demand is ONLY for unblurred images!
                    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9162798/EU_orders_Google_to_ditch_Str
                    eet_View_images_after_6_months

                    --
                    Google lawyer Peter Fleischer defended the search engine's year-long
                    retention period.

                    "The need to retain the unblurred images is legitimate and justified - to
                    ensure the quality and accuracy of our maps, to improve our ability to
                    rectify mistakes in blurring, as well as to use the data we have collected
                    to build better maps products for our users," he said.

                    "We have publicly committed to a retention period of 12 months from the date
                    on which images are published on Street View, and this is the period which
                    we will continue to meet globally."
                    --

                    regards
                    Jan

                    __________ Informace od ESET NOD32 Antivirus, verze databaze 4899 (20100226)
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                      sorry Jurgen,

                      its the bullet ..the hole is a consequence.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                        No need to be sorry, you just didn't get it ;)
                        The bullet itself doesn't harm at all. As long as it's still in the gun.
                        Nor does the image as long as it's on somebodies harddrive.

                        But one possibly can use either of these items in a more or less abusive way as soon as one gets hold of it.

                        Jürgen

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fernando Costa Pinto <fcp.fernando@...> wrote:

                        > sorry Jurgen,
                        >
                        > its the bullet ..the hole is a consequence.
                        >
                        > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 2:37 AM, jrgen_schrader <panorama@...>wrote:
                        >

                        > > A bit onedimensional our friend, eh?
                        > > The problem is not taking pictures but the use of the pictures taken.
                        > > Remember: It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole.
                        > >
                        > > Cheers
                        > > Jürgen
                        > >

                        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,
                        > > "blueslander" <trausti.hraunfjord@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > EU says Google must remove Street View images after 6 months
                        > > >

                        > > http://www.neowin.net/news/eu-says-google-must-remove-street-view-images-after-6-months
                        > > >
                        > > > By Brad Sams
                        > > > The European Union (EU) has issued a devastating blow to Google saying
                        > > that they must delete Street View images after 6 months
                        > > >
                        > > > Click the above link for the full article
                        > > > ===================================================
                        > > > ===================================================
                        > > >
                        > > > There is no lost love between me and Google, and that is not a secret to
                        > > anyone around here.
                        > > >
                        > > > ... but I find these tactics by the EU to be nothing short of fascist
                        > > tactics. I would rather have Google freely driving around shooting their
                        > > street views, than being hit over the head with some draconian laws that
                        > > have no place in free societies.
                        > > >
                        > > > Google is shooting panos in PUBLIC places, and .. well, public places are
                        > > PUBLIC and the property of the PUBLIC, NOT the property of any government.
                        > > No government asks the public for permission when they decide to take
                        > > pictures of the public with CCTV or with traffic cameras, that also take
                        > > pictures of people who are sitting iside their private (property) vehicles,
                        > > yet they pretend to have the higher moral ground when it comes to others
                        > > than themselves.
                        > > >
                        > > > That's just fascism. I'm just glad I am living in a banana republic,
                        > > where the elected dictators haven't got the same kind of power trips as the
                        > > ones in more "civilized" places.

                      • Bjørn K Nilssen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                          On 27 Feb 2010 at 14:36, Honza Kudr wrote:

                          > Hi, according this article, I guess, that
                          > this demand is ONLY for unblurred images!
                          > http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9162798/EU_orders_Google_to_ditch_Str
                          > eet_View_images_after_6_months

                          Which makes a huge difference indeed!
                          Looks like Google won't have to double their capacity after all then.

                          > --
                          > Google lawyer Peter Fleischer defended the search engine's year-long
                          > retention period.
                          >
                          > "The need to retain the unblurred images is legitimate and justified - to
                          > ensure the quality and accuracy of our maps, to improve our ability to
                          > rectify mistakes in blurring, as well as to use the data we have collected
                          > to build better maps products for our users," he said.
                          >
                          > "We have publicly committed to a retention period of 12 months from the date
                          > on which images are published on Street View, and this is the period which
                          > we will continue to meet globally."
                        • Trausti Hraunfjord
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                            On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 6:33 AM, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

                            > Most rules are not invented to annoy photographers but to protect a
                            > site/object against the stupidity of the masses. ;-)
                            >
                            > Best
                            > Bernhard

                            Then make it simple: Forbid stupidity.

                            ... of course that would complicate things, since the lawmakers would be the
                            first ones to "fall victims" to such prohibitions.

                            Trausti

                          • Ronald
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                              This law is not for the online 'blurred' version. but for the original photo's in the archives.

                              ""The new challenge from the EU relates to warning communities before the Google Street View-mobile rolls into town, and the length of time Google retains the unblurred, original images in its own database. The EU has asked that Google do more than simply post its image-capturing schedule online, and that it purge the original images after six months."

                              http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/190279/google_street_view_raises_privacy_concernsagain.html"

                              grts,
                              Ronald

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                                Ah... ok. Makes more sense.

                                All Google has to do, is to donate the images to some "historic archive for
                                the preservation of cultural views" within the EU, and no one would require
                                the images destroyed or blurred or otherwise threaten the existence of the
                                images.

                                Trausti

                                On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Ronald <sjomp13@...> wrote:

                                > This law is not for the online 'blurred' version. but for the original
                                > photo's in the archives.
                                >
                                > ""The new challenge from the EU relates to warning communities before the
                                > Google Street View-mobile rolls into town, and the length of time Google
                                > retains the unblurred, original images in its own database. The EU has asked
                                > that Google do more than simply post its image-capturing schedule online,
                                > and that it purge the original images after six months."
                                >

                                > http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/190279/google_street_view_raises_privacy_concernsagain.html
                                > "
                                >
                                > grts,
                                > Ronald

                              • Bernhard Vogl
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                                  > Then make it simple: Forbid stupidity.

                                  ...unfortunately law accepts stupidity as extenuating circumstances (at
                                  least here in .at): e.g. you drink a bottle of wine, drive home by car,
                                  kill a person in an accident...if you'd been dry, you'd have to face the
                                  consequences...but because you're drunk.... :-(
                                  (ok, this is getting off-topic)
                                • Trausti Hraunfjord
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                                    As it appeared to me in first round, the EU ruling would result in Google
                                    having to re-shoot already shot locations every 6 months... and that would
                                    have been a funny contradiction to stated goals of the EU: Save the
                                    enivronment, use less energy, reduce the use of fossil fuels etc... yet
                                    pushing Google to drive thousands of cars on every day basis all the time...
                                    and thereby polluting more than needed.

                                    With the clarification, I have much easier time accepting the ruling...
                                    albeit not agreeing with it.

                                    Trausti