Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: >2gb images?

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 25, 2010
      On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Zoran Zorkic <zomba@...> wrote:

      > >--Original Message Text---
      > >From: Roger Howard
      > >Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:34:20 -0800
      > >
      > >On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:44 PM, bohonus <bradford@...<bradford%40vrseattle.com>>
      > wrote:
      > >>
      > >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com><PanoToolsNG%
      > 40yahoogroups.com>, "Zoran

      > open
      > >> them in Photoshop?
      > >>
      > >Photoshop CS4 here opens 3+GB TIFFs fine, though many apps can't.
      > Not here, and not for some other people.

      Sorry I wasn't more clear - I don't remember the TIFF options that
      make/break this support, but Photoshop can generate TIFFs up to 4GB and will
      read those; but it can't read *all* 2-4GB TIFFs. I'm not sure if this is
      related to the compression method, tiling vs strips, planar vs. interleaved
      samples, or what.

      > >Do you really have 16 bits worth of useful data in those tiles? If not,
      > save
      > >on memory and storage and drop them down to 8bit per channel.
      > At the moment it's only ~12 bits, but I hope to work out the kinks in my
      > workflow and do HDR later.
      > >Is the TIFF compressed? If not, try compressing using deflate/ZIP - that's
      > >pretty good for 16 bit data and may well help Photoshop open the file by
      > >bringing it down under 2GB, where some of the mysteries seem to stop
      > >(Photoshop seems to have no problem with <2GB TIFFs, but seems to have
      > >problems with SOME TIFFs that are 2 to 4GB).
      > It's compressed already, uncompressed comes to 5.9gb.
      > >IIRC, some large TIFFs are not openable in Photoshop for some reason - do
      > >you have tiffinfo installed? It's part of tifflib. If you have tifflib,
      > you
      > >might also try using tiffcp to convert the TIFF to another flavor.
      > Yeah tried that one first, thinking I didn't compressed it by error. Tried
      > other compression options, all yeild the same result :/

      How about the strips vs. tiles? try using the -s and -t options.

      >Or you could use Photoshop tiling as I mentioned before and just skip right
      >past this all :)

      I'll certanely look into Photoshop scripting, but I'm not sure how well
      > it'll scale.
      > Sure, up to 2 gp feasible, but more, I doubt it, unless I threw ungodly
      > amount of ram at it :D

      Well if your goal is to get the file into Photoshop anyway, I'm not sure why
      you wouldn't just do it directly in Photoshop - it greatly simplifies the
      workflow with large files. Photoshop scaling is well known - run it on a 64
      bit system with lots of main memory, put a fast volume as scratch. Granted,
      opening and merging in throusands of tiles wont be as fast as with more
      dedicated apps, but ultimately you're hitting a wall with your workflow that
      you wouldn't if you did it directly in PS. So do you want fast and not
      working, or somewhat slower and working?