PTRemap - where, when, how ?

  • Stanislav Paskalev
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
      Hello everyone, and sorry for the weird looking subject.

      After seeing some defished shots, (links [1], [2]), I've decided to
      try to same with a couple of shots from a Samyang 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
      lens. However, the wiki here
      (http://wiki.panotools.org/Panorama_Tools_Plugins) links me to a
      decade old readme file
      (http://wiki.panotools.org/Panotools_plugins_Readme#Remap), which
      brings be back to the beginning.

      I've downloaded the latest libpano tar.gz archive from sourceforge,
      compiled & installed it. However neither Gimp does have any such
      plugins, nor is the PTRemap executable file anywhere to be found.

      So, any information on it will be in handy and I'll be glad for it!

      Best regards
      Stanislav Paskalev

      [1] - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleypomeroy/4065352501/
      [2] - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleypomeroy/3686803007/
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
        Am 24.02.2010 13:36, schrieb Stanislav Paskalev:
        > (http://wiki.panotools.org/Panorama_Tools_Plugins) links me to a
        > decade old readme file
        > (http://wiki.panotools.org/Panotools_plugins_Readme#Remap), which
        > brings be back to the beginning.
        >
        > I've downloaded the latest libpano tar.gz archive from sourceforge,
        > compiled& installed it. However neither Gimp does have any such
        > plugins, nor is the PTRemap executable file anywhere to be found.

        No idea why there are no binaries on sourceforge. You'll find a windows
        installer here: http://photocreations.ca/panotools/index.html

        You could find the link in
        http://wiki.panotools.org/Panorama_Tools_Plugins#Updates

      • Stanislav Paskalev
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
          Thanks,
          However this archive seems to be unmaintained (2007-04-25) and is windows only.
          The gimp plugin in the sourceforge files page
          (http://sourceforge.net/projects/panotools/files/) is from 2004, I
          wonder if anyone maintains it either / does it compile at all ?

          Stanislav Paskalev

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
            Am 24.02.2010 20:58, schrieb Stanislav Paskalev:
            > However this archive seems to be unmaintained (2007-04-25) and is windows only.

            This most probably is because pano12 is superseded by pano13 (see
            sourceforge page).

            > The gimp plugin in the sourceforge files page
            > (http://sourceforge.net/projects/panotools/files/) is from 2004, I
            > wonder if anyone maintains it either / does it compile at all ?

            No idea. However, on linux (and MacOS) you can use hugin instead. It
            does almost all (and much more) what the plugins do in a more convenient
            way (but not inside the gimp). Same applies to PTGui on windows and MacOS...

            Why did you want to use PTRemap?

          • Bruno Postle
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
              On Wed 24-Feb-2010 at 21:58 +0200, Stanislav Paskalev wrote:

              >However this archive seems to be unmaintained (2007-04-25) and is windows only.
              >The gimp plugin in the sourceforge files page
              >(http://sourceforge.net/projects/panotools/files/) is from 2004, I
              >wonder if anyone maintains it either / does it compile at all ?

              There hasn't really been any interest, presumably because just about
              everything that can be done in the Gimp plugin can also be done in a
              GUI like Hugin/PTGui.

              If you are still interested there are two relevant trees of the gimp
              plugin in panotools svn:

              /tags/gimp-2-0/gimp-plugin/
              This is Helmut's original plugin with various fixes so that it works
              with the Gimp-2 API.

              /trunk/gimp-plugin-ng/
              This is a version with built-in help, i18n support, a more recent
              version of the panotools library and an autotools build
              system.

              As far as I know this 'plugin-ng' works fine but was never formally
              released, give it a try.

              --
              Bruno
            • Stanislav Paskalev
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
                I wanted to map a fisheye shot to a rectilinear perspective. I've
                finally figured out how to do it properly with Hugin, and the lens
                parameters (a,b,c) in a satisfying way. I initially turned to PTRemap,
                because it was mentioned on different forums as a working utility for
                this purpose.

                I'll proceed with looking for instructions on how to measure lenses
                distortions based on this scheme, now that ptlens is paid, but I
                believe this should be properly addressed later in another thread.

                Thanks for the replies though :)

                Stanislav Paskalev

                On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:
                > Am 24.02.2010 20:58, schrieb Stanislav Paskalev:
                >> However this archive seems to be unmaintained (2007-04-25) and is windows only.
                >
                > This most probably is because pano12 is superseded by pano13 (see
                > sourceforge page).
                >
                >> The gimp plugin in the sourceforge files page
                >> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/panotools/files/) is from 2004, I
                >> wonder if anyone maintains it either / does it compile at all ?
                >
                > No idea. However, on linux (and MacOS) you can use hugin instead. It
                > does almost all (and much more) what the plugins do in a more convenient
                > way (but not inside the gimp). Same applies to PTGui on windows and MacOS...
                >
                > Why did you want to use PTRemap?
                >
                > --
                > Erik Krause
                > http://www.erik-krause.de

              • Jim Watters
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
                  I don't have a lot of time on my hand to create a new version (there is
                  one in the works), but I do generally answer questions about the installer.
                  The version on my site are for windows, but the code was created for
                  other platforms. The filters are for Photoshop and Image applications
                  that support Photoshop pluggins.

                  I have started a new version based on pano13 but it still needs work.
                  If anyone is on Windows64 and using 64bit Photoshop and requires
                  Panotools plugins.
                  Unzip this file and copy the file to your 64bit plugin folder, by
                  default here.
                  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters
                  http://photocreations.ca/panotools/PTFilters_x64.zip

                  As pointed out there is another branch of code for Gimp Plugins.

                  PTRemap does not use a,b,c parameters you will want to look at PTAdjust

                  Jim Watters
                  http://photocreations.ca

                  On 2010/02/24 2:58 PM, Stanislav Paskalev wrote:
                  > Thanks,
                  > However this archive seems to be unmaintained (2007-04-25) and is windows only.

                • panostar
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 25, 2010
                    > I have started a new version based on pano13 but it still needs work.
                    > If anyone is on Windows64 and using 64bit Photoshop and requires
                    > Panotools plugins.
                    > Unzip this file and copy the file to your 64bit plugin folder,

                    Jim, Thanks for that. When I attempted to load one of the plugins in CS4, I got an error panel saying "Unable to load the pano12.dll file". What version of this file needs to be used, and where should it be loaded?

                    John
                  • Jim Watters
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 25, 2010
                      I don't know exactly what is causing that error. At one point I read in
                      the help at Adobe that even their plugins will sometimes create a
                      similar error.
                      Restarting Photoshop usually resolves this.
                      I get this error when working on larger images. I never got it on my old
                      computer but my new one with more memory causes this error 1 in 5 times.
                      This in one of the big reasons I am working on new versions of the
                      plugins that will be self contained and not need to load the pano12.dll.

                      ... In the mean time save current project. Restart Photoshop. And try
                      again.

                      Jim Watters
                      http://photocreations.ca

                      On 2010/02/25 3:38 AM, panostar wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jim Watters<jwatters@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> I have started a new version based on pano13 but it still needs work.
                      >> If anyone is on Windows64 and using 64bit Photoshop and requires
                      >> Panotools plugins.
                      >> Unzip this file and copy the file to your 64bit plugin folder,
                      >>
                      > Jim, Thanks for that. When I attempted to load one of the plugins in CS4, I got an error panel saying "Unable to load the pano12.dll file". What version of this file needs to be used, and where should it be loaded?
                      >
                      > John

                    • panostar
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 25, 2010
                        Jim, False alarm! I discovered that the CS4 shortcut pinned to the taskbar was for the 32bit version, rather than the 64bit version as I had thought. I now have the plugins working successfully on both versions.

                        John