Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Method for releasing memory of Flash-embedded Pano2VR panos

Expand Messages
  • erik_leeman
    Hi all, This info might be of interest to those of you who have clients who (want to) embed your Pano2VR Flash10 panos in larger Flash applications. I had (and
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
      Hi all,

      This info might be of interest to those of you who have clients who (want to) embed your Pano2VR Flash10 panos in larger Flash applications.

      I had (and still have) several problems with this test page:

      <http://tinyurl.com/Direct-to-FullscreenPano>

      worst of which was the accumulation of occupied memory by panos that were already closed. After repeated opening and closing of those panos my pagefile would grow from around 500MB to well over 1.2GB, and the browser often crashed when it got much above that. Not very nice, to say the least (bl**dy well useless in fact).

      Not anymore it isn't!
      I haven't solved all problems yet, but at least the memory problem is gone now. To keep this message as short as possible you can find all details here if you want to:

      <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4198>

      Cheers!

      Erik Leeman

      (<http://www.erikleeman.com>)
    • Ken Warner
      I have a problem with it also. It just lays there like a frozen cod... I click a button and nothing happens -- much like when I try to think.
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
        I have a problem with it also. It just lays there like a frozen cod...

        I click a button and nothing happens -- much like when I try to think.

        erik_leeman wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > This info might be of interest to those of you who have clients who (want to) embed your Pano2VR Flash10 panos in larger Flash applications.
        >
        > I had (and still have) several problems with this test page:
        >
        > <http://tinyurl.com/Direct-to-FullscreenPano>
        >
        > worst of which was the accumulation of occupied memory by panos that were already closed. After repeated opening and closing of those panos my pagefile would grow from around 500MB to well over 1.2GB, and the browser often crashed when it got much above that. Not very nice, to say the least (bl**dy well useless in fact).
        >
        > Not anymore it isn't!
        > I haven't solved all problems yet, but at least the memory problem is gone now. To keep this message as short as possible you can find all details here if you want to:
        >
        > <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4198>
        >
        > Cheers!
        >
        > Erik Leeman
        >
        > (<http://www.erikleeman.com>)
        >
        >
        >
      • erik_leeman
        Ehhhh, you re clicking WHAT button exactly Ken? Is it one of the thumbnails on my test page? Using which browser? PC or Mac? I d sure like to know, I ve only
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
          Ehhhh, you're clicking WHAT button exactly Ken?
          Is it one of the thumbnails on my test page?
          Using which browser? PC or Mac?
          I'd sure like to know, I've only tested it on my own PC.

          Erik Leeman


          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner wrote:
          >
          > I have a problem with it also. It just lays there like a frozen
          > cod...
          >
          > I click a button and nothing happens -- much like when I try to
          > think.
        • Ken Warner
          Oh, I figured it out. I have Flashblock -- a FF addon that lets me choose which Flash presentations to activate. When you start the second Flash app (or
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
            Oh, I figured it out. I have Flashblock -- a FF addon that lets
            me choose which Flash presentations to activate.

            When you start the second Flash app (or whatever) I don't get any
            prompt that lets the fullscreen Flash app work. When I try it
            in IE8 (no Flashblock) your straight to fullscreen presentation
            works fine.

            Ken Warner wrote:
            > I have a problem with it also. It just lays there like a frozen cod...
            >
            > I click a button and nothing happens -- much like when I try to think.
            >
            > erik_leeman wrote:
            >> Hi all,
            >>
            >> This info might be of interest to those of you who have clients who (want to) embed your Pano2VR Flash10 panos in larger Flash applications.
            >>
            >> I had (and still have) several problems with this test page:
            >>
            >> <http://tinyurl.com/Direct-to-FullscreenPano>
            >>
            >> worst of which was the accumulation of occupied memory by panos that were already closed. After repeated opening and closing of those panos my pagefile would grow from around 500MB to well over 1.2GB, and the browser often crashed when it got much above that. Not very nice, to say the least (bl**dy well useless in fact).
            >>
            >> Not anymore it isn't!
            >> I haven't solved all problems yet, but at least the memory problem is gone now. To keep this message as short as possible you can find all details here if you want to:
            >>
            >> <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4198>
            >>
            >> Cheers!
            >>
            >> Erik Leeman
            >>
            >> (<http://www.erikleeman.com>)
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >
          • Ken Warner
            On W7 64bit. I was using FF 3.5.7 and it s Flashblock that screws it up. Flashblock doesn t give me a prompt to start the fullscreen part. See the other
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
              On W7 64bit.

              I was using FF 3.5.7 and it's Flashblock that
              screws it up. Flashblock doesn't give me a
              prompt to start the fullscreen part. See the other
              message.

              IE8 works fine -- no Flashblock. There's probably
              a way around Flashblock for the fullscreen part.

              erik_leeman wrote:
              > Ehhhh, you're clicking WHAT button exactly Ken?
              > Is it one of the thumbnails on my test page?
              > Using which browser? PC or Mac?
              > I'd sure like to know, I've only tested it on my own PC.
              >
              > Erik Leeman
              >
              >
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner wrote:
              >> I have a problem with it also. It just lays there like a frozen
              >> cod...
              >>
              >> I click a button and nothing happens -- much like when I try to
              >> think.
              >
              >
            • erik_leeman
              Thanks Ken! Phew... That s both a relief AND a worry. Finally we have something that works on *most* computers, only to find that people dislike our work us so
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
                Thanks Ken!
                Phew... That's both a relief AND a worry.
                Finally we have something that works on *most* computers, only to find that people dislike our work us so much they actively block it!
                ...sigh...
                Are there any HTML-5 blockers yet?

                Erik Leeman


                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner wrote:
                >
                > On W7 64bit.
                >
                > I was using FF 3.5.7 and it's Flashblock that
                > screws it up. Flashblock doesn't give me a
                > prompt to start the fullscreen part. See the other
                > message.
                >
                > IE8 works fine -- no Flashblock. There's probably
                > a way around Flashblock for the fullscreen part.
                >
                > erik_leeman wrote:
                > > Ehhhh, you're clicking WHAT button exactly Ken?
                > > Is it one of the thumbnails on my test page?
                > > Using which browser? PC or Mac?
                > > I'd sure like to know, I've only tested it on my own PC.
                > >
                > > Erik Leeman
                > >
                > >
                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner wrote:
                > >> I have a problem with it also. It just lays there like a frozen
                > >> cod...
                > >>
                > >> I click a button and nothing happens -- much like when I try to
                > >> think.
              • Ken Warner
                It s not the panos I dislike -- it s all the other crap like Buick ads and ads for feminine protection and just general fluff that many sites cram into their
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
                  It's not the panos I dislike -- it's all the other crap
                  like Buick ads and ads for feminine protection and just
                  general fluff that many sites cram into their pages to
                  give the user a "rich internet experience"

                  Flashblock is not all that intrusive. It installs fast
                  and easy. Try it out to get an idea of what I'm talking
                  about.

                  Without Flashblock, I'd be waiting for crap to download
                  and start all day long.

                  Don't know about HTML5 --

                  erik_leeman wrote:
                  > Thanks Ken!
                  > Phew... That's both a relief AND a worry.
                  > Finally we have something that works on *most* computers, only to find that people dislike our work us so much they actively block it!
                  > ...sigh...
                  > Are there any HTML-5 blockers yet?
                  >
                  > Erik Leeman
                  >
                  >
                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner wrote:
                  >> On W7 64bit.
                  >>
                  >> I was using FF 3.5.7 and it's Flashblock that
                  >> screws it up. Flashblock doesn't give me a
                  >> prompt to start the fullscreen part. See the other
                  >> message.
                  >>
                  >> IE8 works fine -- no Flashblock. There's probably
                  >> a way around Flashblock for the fullscreen part.
                  >>
                  >> erik_leeman wrote:
                  >>> Ehhhh, you're clicking WHAT button exactly Ken?
                  >>> Is it one of the thumbnails on my test page?
                  >>> Using which browser? PC or Mac?
                  >>> I'd sure like to know, I've only tested it on my own PC.
                  >>>
                  >>> Erik Leeman
                  >>>
                  >>>
                  >>> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner wrote:
                  >>>> I have a problem with it also. It just lays there like a frozen
                  >>>> cod...
                  >>>>
                  >>>> I click a button and nothing happens -- much like when I try to
                  >>>> think.
                  >
                  >
                • erik_leeman
                  It is SO unfair that WE have to suffer because of fem... ehh, Buick adverts! Now what are we supposed to do this time? Java(Script) gets blocked too, so go
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
                    It is SO unfair that WE have to suffer because of fem... ehh, Buick adverts! Now what are we supposed to do this time? Java(Script) gets blocked too, so go back to (not so)QuickTime then? Yikes!

                    Erik Leeman

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner wrote:
                    >
                    > It's not the panos I dislike -- it's all the other crap
                    > like Buick ads and ads for feminine protection and just
                    > general fluff that many sites cram into their pages to
                    > give the user a "rich internet experience"
                    >
                    > Flashblock is not all that intrusive. It installs fast
                    > and easy. Try it out to get an idea of what I'm talking
                    > about.
                    >
                    > Without Flashblock, I'd be waiting for crap to download
                    > and start all day long.
                    >
                    > Don't know about HTML5 --
                  • erik_leeman
                    I added a small [Esc] button to those panos, for those who cannot find it on their keyboard ; ) It is the inverse of the fullscreen button everybody overlooks,
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
                      I added a small [Esc] button to those panos, for those who cannot find it on their keyboard ; )
                      It is the inverse of the fullscreen button everybody overlooks, so eliminating one button made me introduce another. I don't think it's a bad deal though, at least people really can't miss the 'fullscreen experience' now.
                      I sure hope it's the only button I'll have to add, I really want to keep the interface as clean as I possibly can.

                      Cheers!

                      Erik Leeman

                      (<http://www.erikleeman.com>)

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner wrote:
                      >
                      > Oh, I figured it out. I have Flashblock -- a FF addon that lets
                      > me choose which Flash presentations to activate.
                      >
                      > When you start the second Flash app (or whatever) I don't get any
                      > prompt that lets the fullscreen Flash app work. When I try it
                      > in IE8 (no Flashblock) your straight to fullscreen presentation
                      > works fine.
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.