Defishing the Samyang?

  • Aleksandr Milewski
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 21, 2010
      Can anyone offer any wisdom (or a .pto file!) for defishing the Samyang?

      I'm seriously tempted by this lens, not only for pano work, but as an
      ultra-wide for general use.

      But I've been fiddling with the sample images from Michel Thoby and
      haven't been able to get anything that looked like a reasonable
      rectilinear image out of it. Certainly PTLens and LensFix can't hang
      with the stereographic projection, but I wonder if someone might have a
      .pto for Hugin that will work.

      Thanks in advance,
      -Zandr
    • panostar
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 22, 2010
        Zandr, You have Michel's three images for a full 380x180 panorama. You need to stitch these with control points well spread out. They stitch nicely without any problems; I used PTGui, but Hugin should do just as well. Then you can set the output projection to rectilinear and adjust the view to point in any desired direction to generate any rectilinear view you like. Use the lens parameters from this project to defish an individual image in a separate project.

        John

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Aleksandr Milewski <n6mod@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone offer any wisdom (or a .pto file!) for defishing the Samyang?
        >
        > I'm seriously tempted by this lens, not only for pano work, but as an
        > ultra-wide for general use.
        >
        > But I've been fiddling with the sample images from Michel Thoby and
        > haven't been able to get anything that looked like a reasonable
        > rectilinear image out of it. Certainly PTLens and LensFix can't hang
        > with the stereographic projection, but I wonder if someone might have a
        > .pto for Hugin that will work.
        >

        > Thanks in advance,
        > -Zandr

      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 22, 2010
          On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:38:02 +0900, Aleksandr Milewski
          <n6mod@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone offer any wisdom (or a .pto file!) for defishing the Samyang?
          >
          > I'm seriously tempted by this lens, not only for pano work, but as an
          > ultra-wide for general use.
          >
          > But I've been fiddling with the sample images from Michel Thoby and
          > haven't been able to get anything that looked like a reasonable
          > rectilinear image out of it. Certainly PTLens and LensFix can't hang
          > with the stereographic projection, but I wonder if someone might have a
          > .pto for Hugin that will work.

          I have a few of thoughts on this. 8mm is a bit TOO wide for use, defished,
          as an ultra wide rectilinear equivalent, isn't it? I don't have the Samyang
          (yet) but I find the 10.5mm Nikon full frame defishes better than the 8mm
          Sigma. You can't really make any use of FOVs wider than 120 to (at the very
          most) 140 degrees, at which level the perspective is seriously exaggerated.
          On the other hand, to my taste, the "look" of the Samyang's fisheye
          distortion is somehow more acceptable than previous lenses of this type.
          That's probably the effect of the "stereographic" image. And this may mean
          less deformation is needed to defish it than with the earlier lenses. Or
          to put it differently, you might get away with incomplete defishing and
          still end up with an acceptable image.

          Silkypix might also be able to cope. I am using a Japanese version provided
          with the Pentax K-x, and it appears to have a two-stage correction for
          fisheyes. I have found it pretty difficult to use--there's no explanation
          of how you are supposed to use it. But it does give another parameter you
          can "tune" to vary the kind of defishing you get.

          Another thought is that DXO will almost certainly be able to defish this
          lens with a bit of fiddling with the settings. But DXO is a rather
          expensive
          program to start with, so may not be a good match for the Samyang 8mm
          fisheye
          or for someone used to using shareware/freeware. And DXO almost certainly
          won't be producing a module for this lens! This means you would have to use
          it on JPEGs. Not to be recommended...

          Finally, have you thought of the new 14mm F/2.8 rectilinear lens due out
          from Samyang "first quarter 2010"? It first appeared last September, with
          a release date promised for November, but the first few had serious
          problems
          with flare and Samyang apparently went back to the drawing board, with
          production of the modified design only just about to start. The examples
          of flare were pretty awful, which is surprising, since the 8mm fisheye is
          not too bad in this respect. Hope they've done a good job, as I am also
          looking for a lens at about 14mm.

          Roger W.

          --
          Business: www.adex-japan.com
          Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 22, 2010
            Did anyone ever tried Imagetrends ?
            http://www.imagetrendsinc.com/products/prodpage_hemi.asp

            May be it does what one expects ???
            ciao
            mike

            ----------------------------
            360° VR Fotografie:
            http://www.360de.de

            NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
            http://www.abstraktfoto.de
            -----------------------------
            Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
            http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 22, 2010
              On 2/22/10 12:14 AM, panostar wrote:
              > Use the lens parameters from this project to defish an individual
              image in a separate project.

              As a sanity check, I got values in the range of:

              a=0.312 b=-0.575 c=0.424

              I know Michel commented that the distortion numbers would be large,
              but...wow.

              Anyway, this looks quite usable.

              Thanks!
            • panostar
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 22, 2010
                I also got high parameter values when the image is specified as circular fisheye. When the lens is used as a fullframe fisheye on an APS-C sensor, the lens parameters are very low.

                John

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Aleksandr Milewski <n6mod@...> wrote:

                > On 2/22/10 12:14 AM, panostar wrote:
                > > Use the lens parameters from this project to defish an individual
                > image in a separate project.
                >
                > As a sanity check, I got values in the range of:
                >
                > a=0.312 b=-0.575 c=0.424
                >
                > I know Michel commented that the distortion numbers would be large,
                > but...wow.
                >
                > Anyway, this looks quite usable.
                >
                > Thanks!

              • Aleksandr Milewski
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 22, 2010
                  On 2/22/10 9:26 AM, panostar wrote:
                  > I also got high parameter values when the image is specified as
                  > circular fisheye. When the lens is used as a fullframe fisheye on an
                  > APS-C sensor, the lens parameters are very low.

                  Indeed. PTLens doesn't get me anywhere if I pull in the clipped circle
                  image from the 5D, but if I crop to roughly APS-C, it works a treat.

                  -Z
                • Aleksandr Milewski
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 22, 2010
                    On 2/22/10 12:38 AM, Roger D. Williams wrote:
                    > On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:38:02 +0900, Aleksandr Milewski
                    > <n6mod@...> wrote:

                    > I have a few of thoughts on this. 8mm is a bit TOO wide for use, defished,
                    > as an ultra wide rectilinear equivalent, isn't it?

                    Actually, on APS-C (per Jeffery Charles' outstanding review) it has an
                    FOV of about 90x135, and about 80x108 on 4/3. The APS-C FOV is about
                    equivalent to a 15mm fisheye on full-frame 35.

                    So if you defish, you get a rectilinear image of about that FOV in the
                    "center of the bowtie" That sounds pretty compelling to me. :)

                    > On the other hand, to my taste, the "look" of the Samyang's fisheye
                    > distortion is somehow more acceptable than previous lenses of this type.

                    Yeah, the only way to be sure of that is to get one and shoot. :D

                    If I crop in to Michel's images, PTLens works fine. It just doesn't like
                    the full "drum" images you get from a full-frame. That won't matter to
                    me for quite a while, as I don't have any immediate plans to buy a FF
                    camera. (For me, this is a hobby, and I spend most of my time shooting
                    at the long end, not the wide end)

                    > Finally, have you thought of the new 14mm F/2.8 rectilinear lens due out
                    > from Samyang "first quarter 2010"?

                    I have. That's a very interesting lens as well, though rather longer.
                    For me, the appeal of the 14/2.8 would be speed, as my widest rect (a
                    Tamron 11-18) is slow, and not the sharpest lens in the world.

                    -Z
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 22, 2010
                      Am 22.02.2010 12:36, schrieb ptgroup:
                      > Did anyone ever tried Imagetrends ?
                      > http://www.imagetrendsinc.com/products/prodpage_hemi.asp

                      I doubt it works well with the samyang. It has a unique mapping which is
                      pretty different to standard fisheyes:
                      http://michel.thoby.free.fr/SAMYANG/Early%20test%20report.html

                    • Roger D. Williams
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 22, 2010
                        On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 03:15:12 +0900, Aleksandr Milewski
                        <n6mod@...> wrote:

                        > On 2/22/10 12:38 AM, Roger D. Williams wrote:
                        >> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:38:02 +0900, Aleksandr Milewski
                        >> <n6mod@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> I have a few of thoughts on this. 8mm is a bit TOO wide for use,
                        >> defished,
                        >> as an ultra wide rectilinear equivalent, isn't it?
                        >
                        > Actually, on APS-C (per Jeffery Charles' outstanding review) it has an
                        > FOV of about 90x135, and about 80x108 on 4/3. The APS-C FOV is about
                        > equivalent to a 15mm fisheye on full-frame 35.
                        >
                        > So if you defish, you get a rectilinear image of about that FOV in the
                        > "center of the bowtie" That sounds pretty compelling to me. :)

                        Would have to agree. Despite being provided with some Samyang 8mm images
                        to work on, and realizing that the diagonal FOV was under 180 degrees,
                        I hadn't extended that to the normal vertical/horizontal FOVs. At 90
                        by 135 you are right. Sweet spot, indeed!

                        >> On the other hand, to my taste, the "look" of the Samyang's fisheye
                        >> distortion is somehow more acceptable than previous lenses of this type.
                        >
                        > Yeah, the only way to be sure of that is to get one and shoot. :D

                        Well, I got a pretty good idea from a selection of images on the web.
                        And I liked what I saw...

                        > If I crop in to Michel's images, PTLens works fine. It just doesn't like
                        > the full "drum" images you get from a full-frame. That won't matter to
                        > me for quite a while, as I don't have any immediate plans to buy a FF
                        > camera. (For me, this is a hobby, and I spend most of my time shooting
                        > at the long end, not the wide end)

                        Aha! I am the opposite. Never buy both lenses of the "double zoom kit" as
                        my zooms always stay pegged at the "wide" end. For me, a full-frame 50mm
                        lens feels like a medium telephoto. <grin>

                        >> Finally, have you thought of the new 14mm F/2.8 rectilinear lens due out
                        >> from Samyang "first quarter 2010"?
                        >
                        > I have. That's a very interesting lens as well, though rather longer.
                        > For me, the appeal of the 14/2.8 would be speed, as my widest rect (a
                        > Tamron 11-18) is slow, and not the sharpest lens in the world.

                        This is my widest rect, too, and I can live with its defects. I like
                        the look of the Tokina 11-16mm, but the Sigma 8-16mm, if it can produce
                        comparable image quality, looks very attractive. The problem with the
                        Tokina is that they no longer produce Pentax versions, and Pentax does
                        not market an equivalent--and I am shopping for my new toy, the K-x.
                        A reasonably fast 14mm, if sharp enough, would be fine, too. A 21mm
                        Cosina f/4 lens on a film rangefinder camera was my "standard" lens for
                        years, so I know I would get a lot of use out of it.

                        At the moment I am having a lot of fun with my Zenitar 16mm fisheye, for
                        which defishing software works beautifully. I use it on my cute little
                        Pentax K-x with an M42 to K adaptor. Crude but effective. Not quite wide
                        enough, but nice. I even stitched a cylindrical panorama from a few
                        shots taken at church on Sunday... The shots stitched beautifully. And
                        it's a small and light combination, which is beginning to matter as I get
                        older.

                        Roger W.

                        > -Z

                        Business: www.adex-japan.com
                        Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                      • Ken Warner
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 22, 2010
                          But, as I'm sure you know, there is a Pentax/Tokina 10-17mm which
                          I've seen on eBay for less than $400.

                          Roger D. Williams wrote:

                          > This is my widest rect, too, and I can live with its defects. I like
                          > the look of the Tokina 11-16mm, but the Sigma 8-16mm, if it can produce
                          > comparable image quality, looks very attractive. The problem with the
                          > Tokina is that they no longer produce Pentax versions, and Pentax does
                          > not market an equivalent--and I am shopping for my new toy, the K-x.
                          > A reasonably fast 14mm, if sharp enough, would be fine, too. A 21mm
                          > Cosina f/4 lens on a film rangefinder camera was my "standard" lens for
                          > years, so I know I would get a lot of use out of it.

                          > Roger W.
                        • Roger D. Williams
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 22, 2010
                            Thank you, Ken. That's the Pentax version of the fisheye zoom. I was
                            familiar with that (and indeed I am thinking of plumping for it and
                            relying on defishing software) but I was really interested in the
                            Tokina 11-16 rectilinear zoom, for which there appears to be no
                            Pentax equivalent. It really is a splendid lens... <sigh> For me,
                            the alternative appears to be the Samyang 14mm F/2.8 rectilinear
                            lens, which remains something of an unknown quantity. Or possibly
                            even the more expensive Pentax 14mm F/2.8.

                            Roger

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 22, 2010
                              Right -- now I understand. Two different types of images. A wide
                              rectilinear lens of such a short focal length would be nice.

                              Roger D. Williams wrote:
                              > Thank you, Ken. That's the Pentax version of the fisheye zoom. I was
                              > familiar with that (and indeed I am thinking of plumping for it and
                              > relying on defishing software) but I was really interested in the
                              > Tokina 11-16 rectilinear zoom, for which there appears to be no
                              > Pentax equivalent. It really is a splendid lens... <sigh> For me,
                              > the alternative appears to be the Samyang 14mm F/2.8 rectilinear
                              > lens, which remains something of an unknown quantity. Or possibly
                              > even the more expensive Pentax 14mm F/2.8.
                              >
                              > Roger

                            • Ken Warner
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 23, 2010
                                Found some sample pictures taken with the Samyang 14mm...

                                http://lenstip.com/1762-news-Falcon_14_mm_f_2.8_ED_Asph._IF_-_sample_shots.html

                                Roger D. Williams wrote:
                                > Thank you, Ken. That's the Pentax version of the fisheye zoom. I was
                                > familiar with that (and indeed I am thinking of plumping for it and
                                > relying on defishing software) but I was really interested in the
                                > Tokina 11-16 rectilinear zoom, for which there appears to be no
                                > Pentax equivalent. It really is a splendid lens... <sigh> For me,
                                > the alternative appears to be the Samyang 14mm F/2.8 rectilinear
                                > lens, which remains something of an unknown quantity. Or possibly
                                > even the more expensive Pentax 14mm F/2.8.
                                >
                                > Roger
                                >

                                > On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:32:04 +0900, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>
                                > wrote:
                                >
                                >> But, as I'm sure you know, there is a Pentax/Tokina 10-17mm which
                                >> I've seen on eBay for less than $400.
                                >>
                                >> Roger D. Williams wrote:
                                >>
                                >>> This is my widest rect, too, and I can live with its defects. I like
                                >>> the look of the Tokina 11-16mm, but the Sigma 8-16mm, if it can produce
                                >>> comparable image quality, looks very attractive. The problem with the
                                >>> Tokina is that they no longer produce Pentax versions, and Pentax does
                                >>> not market an equivalent--and I am shopping for my new toy, the K-x.
                                >>> A reasonably fast 14mm, if sharp enough, would be fine, too. A 21mm
                                >>> Cosina f/4 lens on a film rangefinder camera was my "standard" lens for
                                >>> years, so I know I would get a lot of use out of it.
                                >>> Roger W.
                                >>
                                >> ------------------------------------

                              • A Kielcz
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 23, 2010
                                  I see that some pictures were taken in Poland. Warsaw?

                                  A Kielcz

                                  Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                                  Roger D. Williams wrote:

                                  > Thank you, Ken. That's the Pentax version of the fisheye zoom. I was

                                  > familiar with that (and indeed I am thinking of plumping for it and

                                  > relying on defishing software) but I was really interested in the

                                  > Tokina 11-16 rectilinear zoom, for which there appears to be no

                                  > Pentax equivalent. It really is a splendid lens... <sigh> For me,

                                  > the alternative appears to be the Samyang 14mm F/2.8 rectilinear

                                  > lens, which remains something of an unknown quantity. Or possibly

                                  > even the more expensive Pentax 14mm F/2.8.

                                  > Roger

                                  > On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:32:04 +0900, Ken Warner <kwarner000@verizon. net>

                                  > wrote:

                                  >> But, as I'm sure you know, there is a Pentax/Tokina 10-17mm which

                                  >> I've seen on eBay for less than $400.

                                  >> Roger D. Williams wrote:

                                  >>> This is my widest rect, too, and I can live with its defects. I like

                                  >>> the look of the Tokina 11-16mm, but the Sigma 8-16mm, if it can produce

                                  >>> comparable image quality, looks very attractive. The problem with the

                                  >>> Tokina is that they no longer produce Pentax versions, and Pentax does

                                  >>> not market an equivalent-- and I am shopping for my new toy, the K-x.

                                  >>> A reasonably fast 14mm, if sharp enough, would be fine, too. A 21mm

                                  >>> Cosina f/4 lens on a film rangefinder camera was my "standard" lens for

                                  >>> years, so I know I would get a lot of use out of it.

                                  >>> Roger W.

                                • Roger D. Williams
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 23, 2010
                                    On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 01:43:13 +0900, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Found some sample pictures taken with the Samyang 14mm...
                                    >
                                    > http://lenstip.com/1762-news-Falcon_14_mm_f_2.8_ED_Asph._IF_-_sample_shots.html

                                    Thanks Ken. These are the first I have seen.

                                    The photos are a mixed bunch. CA seems respectably low, but images are soft
                                    around the edges and don't improve a great deal with stopping down. But
                                    it's
                                    too early to judge from a few rushed web shots.

                                    I see it can be pre-ordered now at US$464 for delivery in April. That's
                                    roughly equivalent to the announced list price of 259 Euro when you add on
                                    the 22% Polish VAT that all E-bay customers must pay.

                                    I wonder if dpreview or Ken Rockwell will test this lens? When you consider
                                    the prices charged for the Canon/Nikon products, and the fact that it is an
                                    FX/DX lens, usable on full-frame cameras (although this means bulkier than
                                    necessary on 1.5x factor sensor cameras) it should attract a lot of
                                    interest.

                                    It certainly hooked ME!

                                    All my early panoramas were cylindricals taken with a 21mm Cosina lens on
                                    a RF camera, so I know it could even be used for panoramas!

                                    Roger W.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 23, 2010
                                      I noticed the soft corners. Could be sharpened with a little post...

                                      Roger D. Williams wrote:
                                      > On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 01:43:13 +0900, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> Found some sample pictures taken with the Samyang 14mm...
                                      >>
                                      >> http://lenstip.com/1762-news-Falcon_14_mm_f_2.8_ED_Asph._IF_-_sample_shots.html
                                      >
                                      > Thanks Ken. These are the first I have seen.
                                      >
                                      > The photos are a mixed bunch. CA seems respectably low, but images are soft
                                      > around the edges and don't improve a great deal with stopping down. But
                                      > it's
                                      > too early to judge from a few rushed web shots.
                                      >
                                      > I see it can be pre-ordered now at US$464 for delivery in April. That's
                                      > roughly equivalent to the announced list price of 259 Euro when you add on
                                      > the 22% Polish VAT that all E-bay customers must pay.
                                      >
                                      > I wonder if dpreview or Ken Rockwell will test this lens? When you consider
                                      > the prices charged for the Canon/Nikon products, and the fact that it is an
                                      > FX/DX lens, usable on full-frame cameras (although this means bulkier than
                                      > necessary on 1.5x factor sensor cameras) it should attract a lot of
                                      > interest.
                                      >
                                      > It certainly hooked ME!
                                      >
                                      > All my early panoramas were cylindricals taken with a 21mm Cosina lens on
                                      > a RF camera, so I know it could even be used for panoramas!
                                      >
                                      > Roger W.

                                    • Roger D. Williams
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 23, 2010
                                        wrote:

                                        > Found some sample pictures taken with the Samyang 14mm...
                                        >
                                        > http://lenstip.com/1762-news-Falcon_14_mm_f_2.8_ED_Asph._IF_-_sample_shots.html

                                        Here is the initial report on the lens as first produced,
                                        before Samyang recalled and partially redesigned it, at
                                        least partly as a result of this critical report, or so
                                        they claim.

                                        http://www.lenstip.com/200.1-Lens_review-Samyang_14_mm_f_2.8_IF_ED_MC_Aspherical_Introduction.html

                                        Roger W.

                                        --
                                        Business: www.adex-japan.com
                                        Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                                      • 1drey
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 3 6:02 AM
                                          It is very easy to defish Samyang with PTGui - just did a few quick tests. Can be done in batch, naturally.

                                          The problem with defished Samyang images is that the quality of resulting image is hardly possible to call acceptable, talking about edge area.

                                          Andrey
                                          http://1drey.wordpress.com

                                          PS. I am pleasantly surprised with quality of Samyang construction and by the uniform sharpness of spherical panorama stitched from Samyang source files. The resolution is a tad lower than Nikkor's.

                                          > Am 22.02.2010 12:36, schrieb ptgroup:
                                          > > Did anyone ever tried Imagetrends ?
                                          > > http://www.imagetrendsinc.com/products/prodpage_hemi.asp
                                          >
                                          > I doubt it works well with the samyang. It has a unique mapping which is
                                          > pretty different to standard fisheyes:
                                          > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/SAMYANG/Early%20test%20report.html
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > Erik Krause
                                          > http://www.erik-krause.de

                                        • Stanislav Paskalev
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 3 7:40 AM
                                            I'm getting acceptable results using Hugin with (a: 0.01417; b:
                                            0.01164; c: 0), setting photo type to full frame fisheye, fov - 147.9
                                            (hugin expects horizontal fov) and using rectilinear output. Just
                                            tweak the resulting FOV to your linking :)

                                            Stanislav Paskalev