Point clouds and panoramas

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2010
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuHJUS2olyc
      ... an interesting use of Photosynth for do it yourself 3d scene capture --
      of anything! If you add extracted views from a pano (of the same angle I guess as the rest of shots you shoot), you could get the pano position too I think -- so you could have a registered point cloud (and then geometry) in your pano view.

      Streetview and Bing Map simultaneously capture point clouds and panos too but they have a dedicated 3d ranging scanner near the camera assembly for the point cloud.

      Peter M
    • Bernhard Vogl
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 22, 2010
        -------- Original-Nachricht --------
        > Datum: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 07:27:30 -0000
        > Von: "panovrx" <panovrx@...>
        > An: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
        > Betreff: [PanoToolsNG] Point clouds and panoramas

        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuHJUS2olyc
        > ... an interesting use of Photosynth for do it yourself 3d scene capture
        > --
        > of anything! If you add extracted views from a pano (of the same angle I
        > guess as the rest of shots you shoot), you could get the pano position too I
        > think -- so you could have a registered point cloud (and then geometry) in
        > your pano view.

        As far as i tried it, it works - as long as the "extracted views" are connectable (enough identifyable features in both images).

        IMHO Photosynth goes even a step further as it *could* act as a stitchless panorama and object viewer. Especially the "fly to" effect is very nice if you add points of interest.
        At the moment, the viewer doesn't work well for this purpose as there are too few images displayed at once.

        I have added some POIS in this panorama (posted some days ago):
        http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=c5ca8ed8-9b57-4e60-a8b2-e788dcd7d812

        This is an other concept. Not a "classic panorama" - but built from as many images as possible to have a good 3D reconstruction and a smooth transition.
        http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=85d8e564-1ee2-47ff-a919-ce81ceada5da
        Navigation through such a 3D scene can only be called "clumsy" at the moment ;-)

        Bernhard
      • robert
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 2010

          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuHJUS2olyc
          > ... an interesting use of Photosynth for do it yourself 3d scene

          Seems everyone a lot of groups want to capture the world in 3D

          http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/science/23crowd.html?sudsredirect=true

          Regards,

          Robert