After Effects confusion...

  • esoteric.vision
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 20, 2010
      Hey Everyone,

      I've been studying After Effects and I'm bogged down a bit. I'v gotten most of the way through a lynda.com essentials tutorial and through a great tutorial thats way advanced for me. WOW, what a fantastic product but complex. Managed to produce some nice movies but not what I want.

      In short, I can't make the POV camera pan at the same rate of rotation. It's slowly driving me mad. Can anyone PLEASE email me an .aep file that I can use as a template and for a study guide? Maybe just seeing the setting will clear this up for me.

      Regards,

      Ben
    • erik_leeman
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 20, 2010
        You probably need to link your camera to a 'null-object'.

        Did you already find Andrew Kramer's fantastic tutorials?

        <http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/>

        and

        <http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/>

        These just might solve ALL your After Effects problems!

        Cheers!

        Erik leeman

        (<http://www.erikleeman.com>)

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "esoteric.vision" <esoteric.vision@...> wrote:

        > Hey Everyone,
        >
        > I've been studying After Effects and I'm bogged down a bit. I'v gotten most of the way through a lynda.com essentials tutorial and through a great tutorial thats way advanced for me. WOW, what a fantastic product but complex. Managed to produce some nice movies but not what I want.
        >
        > In short, I can't make the POV camera pan at the same rate of rotation. It's slowly driving me mad. Can anyone PLEASE email me an .aep file that I can use as a template and for a study guide? Maybe just seeing the setting will clear this up for me.
        >

        > Regards,
        >
        > Ben
      • Benedict Kim
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 20, 2010
          Thanks for help Eric. I've linked all the faces to a null object so they can rotate together as one unit. The cubic world is seemless but I just don't seem to have control over the camera motion yet. My suspicion is that I don't quite get the graphics editor. I can make the image spin but not at the same rate of speed.  Very ugly.  I'll check out these other tutorials too. Thanks again!

          Regards,

          Ben

          You probably need to link your camera to a 'null-object' .

          Did you already find Andrew Kramer's fantastic tutorials?

          <http://www.videocop ilot.net/ basic/>

          and

          <http://www.videocop ilot.net/ tutorials/>

          These just might solve ALL your After Effects problems!

          Cheers!

          Erik leeman

          (<http://www.erikleem an.com>)

          --- In PanoToolsNG@ yahoogroups. com, "esoteric.vision" <esoteric.vision@ ...> wrote:

          > Hey Everyone,

          > I've been studying After Effects and I'm bogged down a bit. I'v gotten most of the way through a lynda.com essentials tutorial and through a great tutorial thats way advanced for me. WOW, what a fantastic product but complex. Managed to produce some nice movies but not what I want.

          > In short, I can't make the POV camera pan at the same rate of rotation. It's slowly driving me mad. Can anyone PLEASE email me an .aep file that I can use as a template and for a study guide? Maybe just seeing the setting will clear this up for me.

          > Regards,

          > Ben

        • Matthew Rogers
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 20, 2010
            Are there really no rules as to what can now be posted to this list ?
            Just curious.

            Matt

            On 20 Feb 2010, at 14:13, esoteric.vision wrote:

            > Hey Everyone,
            >
            > I've been studying After Effects and I'm bogged down a bit. I'v
            > gotten most of the way through a lynda.com essentials tutorial and
            > through a great tutorial thats way advanced for me. WOW, what a
            > fantastic product but complex. Managed to produce some nice movies
            > but not what I want.
            >
            > In short, I can't make the POV camera pan at the same rate of
            > rotation. It's slowly driving me mad. Can anyone PLEASE email me
            > an .aep file that I can use as a template and for a study guide?
            > Maybe just seeing the setting will clear this up for me.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Ben

          • Benedict Kim
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 20, 2010
              Apparently I am out of order here. It is a bit related though. I will try and be good and stay in line.

              Ben

              Are there really no rules as to what can now be posted to this list ?

              Just curious.

              Matt

              On 20 Feb 2010, at 14:13, esoteric.vision wrote:

              > Hey Everyone,

              > I've been studying After Effects and I'm bogged down a bit. I'v

              > gotten most of the way through a lynda.com essentials tutorial and

              > through a great tutorial thats way advanced for me. WOW, what a

              > fantastic product but complex. Managed to produce some nice movies

              > but not what I want.

              > In short, I can't make the POV camera pan at the same rate of

              > rotation. It's slowly driving me mad. Can anyone PLEASE email me

              > an .aep file that I can use as a template and for a study guide?

              > Maybe just seeing the setting will clear this up for me.

              > Regards,

              > Ben

            • erik_leeman
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 20, 2010
                No Ben, I'm 100% sure Matt wasn't referring to your question about After Effects. After all YOU are trying to make a movie from your 360x180 degree stitched panoramas for a client.
                No, he MUST be refering to the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeendless conversations about those i-Products we had to endure lately, or the ongoing futile discussions about 'the Dark Side'of the internet GOOOOOOOOgle, our new collective enemy.
                Yeah, it must be that, I'm sure it was just a coincidence that he happened to reply to your question.

                Cheers!

                Erik Leeman

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Benedict Kim wrote:

                > Apparently I am out of order here. It is a bit related though. I
                > will try and be good and stay in line.
                >
                > Ben
                >
                > --- On Sat, 2/20/10, Matthew Rogers wrote:

                > Are there really no rules as to what can now be posted to this list?
                > Just curious.
                >
                > Matt
              • prague
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 21, 2010
                  How come half of Matt Rogers' posts are complaining that people are off-topic?

                  Isn't complaining about people being off-topic more off-topic than most of the off-topic posts? ;-)

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Benedict Kim <esoteric.vision@...> wrote:

                  > Apparently I am out of order here. It is a bit related though. I will try and be good and stay in line.
                  >
                  > Ben

                • Benedict Kim
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 21, 2010
                    for future reference: solution

                    (well at least my solution)

                    create the cube world, parent to null object, create a camera in the center of the world, then create another camera at POV in the center of the cube, use layer/transform/rotate with the POV camera and rotate around the Y axis. 30 seconds for one revolution seems right. anyone wants to chime in and make this process more efficient please do so.

                    ben