image rotation in exif

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2010
      is the direction of rotation always noted in exif?

      because it's not always obvious if an image is rotated +90 or -90 degrees.

      this in turn affects the d/e (sensor/lens shift) values.

      thanks :)

      jeffrey

    • Roger Howard
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2010
        Always? No, depends on the camera... usually, yes, in my experience - the
        orientation field stores sufficient info to determine the direction of
        rotation... see this page:

        http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/exif_orientation.html

        Tools like Exiftool often convert the values to more natural values, such as
        (in exiftool's case) "Rotate 270 CW" but they are stored as shown above.

        Some cameras have better orientation sensors than others - I remember my 10D
        often failed to properly record orientation, and almost always got confused
        when the camera was tilted straight up for the zenith shot.

        -R