Re: [PanoToolsNG] Appeals court lets Google Street View suit continue

  • Jan Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1 7:16 AM
      The second important thing is, the court already stated that no financial
      damage could be demonstrated. Worst could happen to Google is a 1 (one!) $US
      fine .

      --
      http://www.DIY-streetview.org

    • mrjimbo
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1 8:01 AM
        Constructively..
        Assuming that what is in the thread is correct in that Google did invade a
        space that was classified as private then they might still be at risk.. The
        higher court is passing judgment on the rights of Google or the couple
        involved ..If the judgment goes against Google the couple is well within
        their rights to start to civil suit for whatever they feel is appropriate
        compensation. The higher courts have merely stated they don't want to get
        involved in the money side of it which is potentially a civil matter and
        better served in another court. So the process is just fine and in the end
        if the couple's rights were indeed violated which is really yet to be
        determined they will probably be better positioned to be successful in a
        lawsuit in a civil court. We should not forget the constitution grants us
        the rights to privacy ....in this case the higher courts must determine if
        that right was indeed violated..
        Anyway it ain't over till it's over!!! Frankly, if the couple's attorneys
        have driven this in the direction it appears to be going then their doing
        quite well. This keeps all the fancy pants big money attorneys games out of
        it as it simply becomes a matter of interpreting law and the constitution,
        which is a job for the courts not the attorneys.. Had this been handled as a
        civil matter they probably had no place to go as Google could out money them
        forever..

        jimbo

        > The second important thing is, the court already stated that no financial
        > damage could be demonstrated. Worst could happen to Google is a 1 (one!)
        > $US
        > fine .
        >
        > On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Eduardo Hutter
        > <montreal360@...>wrote:
        >

        >> Even in the case they win, it shouldn't be something for us as
        >> photographers to worry. If what we can read from the excerpts from the
        >> couple's lawyers hold true, Google actually DID invade their privacy
        >> since it went into a *private road* where a sign clearly states *
        >> Private road. No trespassing*. Apparently there is no *street* in sight
        >> from the house which apparently was not photographed from the street but
        >> from this private road. In North America and more specifically in the
        >> US, this is and should be taken very seriously and Google would be
        >> *pretending* to be naive if they don't, which they obviously are not.
        >>
        >> In US, not that far ago you could be shot if trespassing.
        >>
        >> Eduardo
        >>
        >> * michel thoby wrote, On 01/02/2010 6:10 AM:
        >>

        >> > Don't know if this was already reported on this list.
        >> >
        >> > <<29 January: A federal appeals court has reinstated a lawsuit that a
        >> > Pennsylvania couple filed against Google after a driver for its
        >> > Street View service took a panoramic photograph of their secluded
        >> > home.>>
        >> >
        >> > More: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10444755-38.html
        >>

        > --
        > http://www.DIY-streetview.org

        12:37:00

      • RaphaĆ«l Jacquot
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1 8:04 AM
          On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 09:01 -0700, mrjimbo wrote:

          > Anyway it ain't over till it's over!!! Frankly, if the couple's attorneys
          > have driven this in the direction it appears to be going then their doing
          > quite well. This keeps all the fancy pants big money attorneys games out of
          > it as it simply becomes a matter of interpreting law and the constitution,
          > which is a job for the courts not the attorneys.. Had this been handled as a
          > civil matter they probably had no place to go as Google could out money them
          > forever..

          it appear from the map that the place is visible from a public road...