Re: [PanoToolsNG] Appeals court lets Google Street View suit continue

  • Eduardo Hutter
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
      Even in the case they win, it shouldn't be something for us as
      photographers to worry. If what we can read from the excerpts from the
      couple's lawyers hold true, Google actually DID invade their privacy
      since it went into a *private road* where a sign clearly states *
      Private road. No trespassing*. Apparently there is no *street* in sight
      from the house which apparently was not photographed from the street but
      from this private road. In North America and more specifically in the
      US, this is and should be taken very seriously and Google would be
      *pretending* to be naive if they don't, which they obviously are not.

      In US, not that far ago you could be shot if trespassing.

      Eduardo

      * michel thoby wrote, On 01/02/2010 6:10 AM:

      > Don't know if this was already reported on this list.
      >
      > <<29 January: A federal appeals court has reinstated a lawsuit that a
      > Pennsylvania couple filed against Google after a driver for its
      > Street View service took a panoramic photograph of their secluded
      > home.>>
      >
      > More: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10444755-38.html
    • Jan Martin
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
        The second important thing is, the court already stated that no financial
        damage could be demonstrated. Worst could happen to Google is a 1 (one!) $US
        fine .

        --
        http://www.DIY-streetview.org

      • mrjimbo
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
          Constructively..
          Assuming that what is in the thread is correct in that Google did invade a
          space that was classified as private then they might still be at risk.. The
          higher court is passing judgment on the rights of Google or the couple
          involved ..If the judgment goes against Google the couple is well within
          their rights to start to civil suit for whatever they feel is appropriate
          compensation. The higher courts have merely stated they don't want to get
          involved in the money side of it which is potentially a civil matter and
          better served in another court. So the process is just fine and in the end
          if the couple's rights were indeed violated which is really yet to be
          determined they will probably be better positioned to be successful in a
          lawsuit in a civil court. We should not forget the constitution grants us
          the rights to privacy ....in this case the higher courts must determine if
          that right was indeed violated..
          Anyway it ain't over till it's over!!! Frankly, if the couple's attorneys
          have driven this in the direction it appears to be going then their doing
          quite well. This keeps all the fancy pants big money attorneys games out of
          it as it simply becomes a matter of interpreting law and the constitution,
          which is a job for the courts not the attorneys.. Had this been handled as a
          civil matter they probably had no place to go as Google could out money them
          forever..

          jimbo

          > The second important thing is, the court already stated that no financial
          > damage could be demonstrated. Worst could happen to Google is a 1 (one!)
          > $US
          > fine .
          >
          > On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Eduardo Hutter
          > <montreal360@...>wrote:
          >

          >> Even in the case they win, it shouldn't be something for us as
          >> photographers to worry. If what we can read from the excerpts from the
          >> couple's lawyers hold true, Google actually DID invade their privacy
          >> since it went into a *private road* where a sign clearly states *
          >> Private road. No trespassing*. Apparently there is no *street* in sight
          >> from the house which apparently was not photographed from the street but
          >> from this private road. In North America and more specifically in the
          >> US, this is and should be taken very seriously and Google would be
          >> *pretending* to be naive if they don't, which they obviously are not.
          >>
          >> In US, not that far ago you could be shot if trespassing.
          >>
          >> Eduardo
          >>
          >> * michel thoby wrote, On 01/02/2010 6:10 AM:
          >>

          >> > Don't know if this was already reported on this list.
          >> >
          >> > <<29 January: A federal appeals court has reinstated a lawsuit that a
          >> > Pennsylvania couple filed against Google after a driver for its
          >> > Street View service took a panoramic photograph of their secluded
          >> > home.>>
          >> >
          >> > More: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10444755-38.html
          >>

          > --
          > http://www.DIY-streetview.org

          12:37:00

        • RaphaĆ«l Jacquot
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
            On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 09:01 -0700, mrjimbo wrote:

            > Anyway it ain't over till it's over!!! Frankly, if the couple's attorneys
            > have driven this in the direction it appears to be going then their doing
            > quite well. This keeps all the fancy pants big money attorneys games out of
            > it as it simply becomes a matter of interpreting law and the constitution,
            > which is a job for the courts not the attorneys.. Had this been handled as a
            > civil matter they probably had no place to go as Google could out money them
            > forever..

            it appear from the map that the place is visible from a public road...