Re: [PanoToolsNG] What HTML editor for Mac?

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 31, 2010
      Sometime around 31/1/10 (at 11:15 -0800) Ken Warner said:

      >Filezilla? Really? I use Filezilla all the time. Works
      >pretty good on my PC. Not good for the Mac??? I was
      >going to download it....

      Feel free! But I have tested it against a number of other Mac FTP apps.

      Subjectively:

      I find the Win95 appearance to be pig-ugly. It looks like a lazy port
      rather than an app designed for the Mac platform. When in Rome, and
      all that.

      Objectively:

      - In my tests, it failed to cancel downloads when instructed. You
      have to quit the app for this to happen. This on it's own is a Fail,
      as the kids like to say, but added to this...

      - There's no obvious way to delete files (control-click for this ability).

      - Permissions editing is also only found in the contextual menu. Good
      UI design says to avoid putting important features only into such
      'invisible' locations.

      - The bookmark feature is awkward and often fails to store new items.

      - Editing files is done with third-party apps, which is fine. But the
      controls for setting this up are designed and labelled for Windows,
      not the Mac, and are unintuitive to boot. And HTML files are
      automatically passed to the browser rather than a text editor.

      - Buttons are placed in essentially random order in the UI. They're
      shockingly ugly too, but that'd be a subjective point.

      - It offers FTP only; no SFTP, FTPS or WebDav. Worth noting if you
      ever need that stuff.

      Try Transmit (http://www.panic.com/) for the very best file transfer
      experience, or CyberDuck (http://cyberduck.ch/) for a good
      open-source file transfer client.

    • Andrew Crawford
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 3, 2010
        Ken Warner wrote:
        > What are you guys favorites?

        I generally use JEdit, which is available for Mac, Windows and Linux.
        It's more of a programmer's editor, though it has some nice features for
        HTML, including syntax hilighting and tag auto-close.

        http://www.jedit.org/

        Aptana Studio is a fairly popular IDE (Integrated Development
        Environment) but, may be overkill if you are just editing HTML. There
        is an open source and a commercial version.

        http://www.aptana.org/

        RapidWeaver is one of the more popular graphical web design tools for
        MacOS X. It's commercial software but, they do offer a free trial:

        http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/

        Best,