Flash on iPad discussion...

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2010
      Kind of interesting viewpoints -- lotta people think Flash on Mac's
      suck too. You guys like Flash on Mac's?
      http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10443465-17.html
    • Hans
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2010

        > Kind of interesting viewpoints -- lotta people think Flash on Mac's
        > suck too. You guys like Flash on Mac's?
        > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10443465-17.html

        There is no problem with Flash on Mac really besides that the very few like me who have an old PPC Mac still have very slow framerate.

        The newer Macs are fine with flash and the next generation of flash will also be faster even if there are some problems right now with the Beta and Firefox.

        Hans
      • michael medina
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2010
          i disagree hans, i'm also of the opinion that flash on mac and linux
          is at best problematic and adobe needs to do something about it.  i
          also believe lack of flash on iphone/ipod/ipad is one of those things
          steve jobs is holding out on until adobe gets their poo together.
          steve almost always gets his way.

          michael medina
          http://pdxvr.com
        • Roger Howard
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2010
            I've got a lot of conflicting thoughts and experiences on these
            questions....

            Flash on Mac OSX is definitely inferior to Flash on Windows (on the exact
            same hardware), both in stability and performance terms. Apple hates this
            (and has cited Flash as one of, if not THE, largest sources of crashes on
            OSX); Adobe points the finger at Apple, particularly on the performance
            issue, due to the fact that Apple doesn't expose hardware acceleration APIs
            needed to make Flash perform better. Regardless, Flash works, and in general
            works well. I have built a number of corporate application interfaces in
            Flex over the past few years that have been trouble-free, and I enjoyed the
            process and tools available. Flash provides a consistent, nearly identical
            runtime on Windows and OSX (and, I assume, Linux though I've never used
            Flash there), which is a lot more than can be said for the
            browser-as-application-platform concept. So in the near-term, practical
            considerations generally made me favor Flash as a consistent,
            well-supported, platform for complex UI's and interactivity. For mobile
            applications, however, if you're not thinking about how your
            service/content/whatever works on the iPhone (and, perhaps in a year, iPad)
            then you're missing out - whether you can deliver the best application via
            MobileSafari, or you need to build a CocoaTouch app, is the real question.

            Longer-term, I'm torn. On the one hand, I favor the open web - the past 18
            months I've begun doing a lot more pure browser-based application
            development, without Flash - primarily jQuery, with other frameworks thrown
            in as-needed. The JavaScript runtime has gotten spectacularly faster in the
            last few years thanks to WebKit and Firefox efforts, but the APIs are still
            weak and rough around the edges in many cases - but many times they are more
            than adequate, and have their real benefits. I'm also beginning to favor
            native code again for many apps - the iPhone has been an excellent example
            of what can be accomplished with a robust, device-native framework coupled
            with backend ("cloud") infrastructure serving up data over open protocol.

            The real difference between the two approaches - Flash (and native apps) vs.
            pure-browser apps - is really one of timing... Adobe (Flash) and Apple
            (CocoaToach) can rapidly evolve their APIs to suit new needs, and can more
            tightly integrate their runtimes with hardware capabilities (it's much
            easier to get at accelerometer data from CocoaTouch than from HTML!), they
            can rapidly revise and adapt to changing markets and user expectations. The
            browser crowd, being far more tied down by "standards" and by having to
            support multiple runtimes (IE, WebKit, Gecko, Opera), and by having to reach
            some kind of concensus between competing companies, can't keep up with the
            proprietary crowd - but they do offer some softer benefits by being less
            tied to one vendor's strategy (and there's a single word that sums up why
            everyone considers this a good thing: Microsoft).

            I'm all for pragmatism. Right now Flash is far and away the best approach
            for publishing panoramas... but that doesn't mean things can't and won't
            change. Keep your content and data in neutral formats, and be ready to
            embrace new runtimes/platforms... we're seeing a lot more innovation on the
            Web right now (and for the past 1-2 years) than we had in the previous
            decade of relative stagnation. And, above all else, don't get caught up in
            platform ideology unless you can really afford to put that first - we're not
            talking about human rights, poverty, or war, it's a question of reaching the
            audience you want while earning the best possible living.