f=theta

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010
      For the math folks out there, i have some fishy questions....

      1. Panotools (and PTGUI) uses f=theta as its model for circular fisheye,
      right?
      2. optimizing a,b,c, is needed not only to correct lens "distortions" but
      also to warp the fisheye image so that it conforms to f=theta which in
      reality, most fisheyes do not?
      3. which fisheye conforms closest to f=theta? the huge nikkor 8mm f/2.8 or
      the peleng, so i have heard?
      4. the FOV value you get when optimizing a lens is actually meaningless
      unless a=0, b=0, c=0 (which is never the case) ?

      Thanks in advance for helping me understand ;)

      Jeffrey

    • hd_de_2000
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010
        > 1. Panotools (and PTGUI) uses f=theta as its model for circular fisheye,
        > right?
        > 2. optimizing a,b,c, is needed not only to correct lens "distortions" but
        > also to warp the fisheye image so that it conforms to f=theta which in
        > reality, most fisheyes do not?

        r=f*theta (equidistant) is used in panotools,
        r=f*2*sin(theta/2) (equisolid) is more common, and
        supported as alternative in PTStitcherNG (and mpremap).
        Long ago I collected and fitted data for the classical
        fisheyes (mainly Nikons), and only one would fit
        the equidistant model better than the equisolid.
        Dont know about current lenses.

        > 3. which fisheye conforms closest to f=theta? the huge nikkor 8mm f/2.8

        No, as I recall it, this one closely matches the equisolid case.
        It was one of the smaller focal lengths (7mm?).

        Regards

        Helmut Dersch
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010
          Am 28.01.2010 17:17, schrieb Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net:

          > 4. the FOV value you get when optimizing a lens is actually meaningless
          > unless a=0, b=0, c=0 (which is never the case) ?

          The FoV value you get is - like all other lens values - the one which
          makes the control points fit best. It is more or less useless for other
          purposes.

          However, for a circular fisheye with circular cropping PTGui uses C-type
          cropping like documented in
          http://wiki.panotools.org/PTStitcher#o-line_options
          This means that all lens values refer to the crop circle. The lens
          correction formula uses r = 1 for the largest radius that fits inside
          the image. -> http://tinyurl.com/yjlgouz
          Since any power of 1 is 1 the lens correction formula gives 1 for the
          crop circle, which means that if the crop circle is the exact image
          circle the FoV is the real FoV.

          For full frame fisheyes the value might differ due to different mapping.
          But if the result panorama resembles an undistorted view in a proper
          viewer then the respective image covers the same FoV in the result
          panorama as it does in real world. Hence the real FoV can easily be
          measured from an equirectangular remap of a single image (mapping
          latitude and longitude is linear in an equirect - you simply need to
          count pixels). Apparently this is not the same FoV like the optimized value.

        • Michel THOBY
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010
            > Message du 28/01/10 18:56
            > De : "hd_de_2000"
            > A : PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
            > Copie à :
            > Objet : [PanoToolsNG] Re: f=theta
            >

            > > 1. Panotools (and PTGUI) uses f=theta as its model for circular fisheye,
            > > right?
            > > 2. optimizing a,b,c, is needed not only to correct lens "distortions" but
            > > also to warp the fisheye image so that it conforms to f=theta which in
            > > reality, most fisheyes do not?
            >
            > r=f*theta (equidistant) is used in panotools,
            > r=f*2*sin(theta/2) (equisolid) is more common, and
            > supported as alternative in PTStitcherNG (and mpremap).
            > Long ago I collected and fitted data for the classical
            > fisheyes (mainly Nikons), and only one would fit
            > the equidistant model better than the equisolid.
            > Dont know about current lenses.
            >
            > > 3. which fisheye conforms closest to f=theta? the huge nikkor 8mm f/2.8
            >
            > No, as I recall it, this one closely matches the equisolid case.
            > It was one of the smaller focal lengths (7mm?).

            http://tinyurl.com/9rarta
            This graph tends to show that the Coastal Optical 7.45 f/2.8 mm and 4.88 mm f/5.2 and the old Nikon 6 mm f/2.8 match quite closely r=f*theta.

            The Nikon MF 8 mm f/2.8 is close to be a perfect equisolid example while the Peleng 8 mm f/3.5 is closest to equidistant in the 8 mm focal samples in this collection.

            Some other fisheye lenses are also mapped on an other graph at the middle of this page:
            http://tinyurl.com/n2hqna

            Regards,

            Michel
          • Crane
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010

              On 28 Jan 2010, at 20:14, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

              > However, for a circular fisheye with circular cropping PTGui uses C-
              > type
              > cropping like documented in
              > http://wiki.panotools.org/PTStitcher#o-
              How do you know this stuff about internal workings of ptgui?
              Regards
              Mick
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010
                Am 28.01.2010 22:08, schrieb Crane:
                >> However, for a circular fisheye with circular cropping PTGui uses C-
                >> type
                >> cropping like documented in
                >> http://wiki.panotools.org/PTStitcher#o-
                > How do you know this stuff about internal workings of ptgui?

                research...

                Panotools behavior is well documented. In this case you only need to
                look which of the documented ways PTGui works. That's pretty easy: Crop
                your source images and have a look at the produced PTStitcher script.
                Since PTGui produces the same result like PTStitcher it works the same
                way.

                ...and a good memory: Most of what I wrote was asked and answered
                several times. And it is written in various places on the wiki (yes,
                mostly by me ;-). F.e. on http://wiki.panotools.org/Panotools_internals

              • Crane
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010
                  You are number 1 in archiving

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010
                    Am 28.01.2010 22:45, schrieb Crane:

                    > You are number 1 in archiving

                    Unfortunately. I'd appreciate if there where more contributors to the
                    wiki. And I lost track of the newer developments a bit - especially
                    regarding presentation. Hopefully others will bring the wiki up to date...

                  • Crane
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010
                      People don't contribute because they don't understand anything =o)

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010
                        Am 28.01.2010 23:25, schrieb Crane:

                        > People don't contribute because they don't understand anything =o)

                        You don't need to understand anything in order to write something
                        useful. And of course there is a lot of other work to do. Improving
                        structure f.e.

                      • Crane
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010
                          Elaborate improving structure?

                          On 28 Jan 2010, at 22:32, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

                          > Am 28.01.2010 23:25, schrieb Crane:
                          >
                          >> People don't contribute because they don't understand anything =o)
                          >
                          > You don't need to understand anything in order to write something
                          > useful. And of course there is a lot of other work to do. Improving
                          > structure f.e.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Erik Krause
                          > http://www.erik-krause.de

                        • Ken Warner
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010
                            Well, I think it's best that the fewer people "contributing"
                            the better. It stays more consistent and has fewer conflicting
                            ideas. I can think of an existing example where everybody
                            has their fingers in the pie -- too many cooks in the kitchen --
                            too many captains of the ship -- and all the rest of those
                            metaphors.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010
                              Am 28.01.2010 23:50, schrieb Ken Warner:
                              > Well, I think it's best that the fewer people "contributing"
                              > the better. It stays more consistent and has fewer conflicting
                              > ideas. I can think of an existing example where everybody
                              > has their fingers in the pie -- too many cooks in the kitchen --
                              > too many captains of the ship

                              Wikipedia? No, Ken. A few more editors would be welcome. Some parts of
                              the wiki are dramatically out of date and I simply don't have the time
                              or the knowledge to improve them. Some articles are marked as outdated:
                              http://wiki.panotools.org/Category:Enhance:out_of_date
                              and some as incomplete:
                              http://wiki.panotools.org/Category:Enhance:incomplete

                              Any help is appreciated!

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010
                                Am 28.01.2010 23:35, schrieb Crane:

                                > Elaborate improving structure?

                                Look for more intuitive or direct ways to find things. Improve
                                usability, all such things...

                              • Keith Martin
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 28, 2010
                                  >You don't need to understand anything in order to write something

                                  Welcome to the Internet!

                                  >useful.

                                  Ahh, "useful". Sorry. ;-)