why flash currently rules

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2010
      here is a sober and level-headed essay about Flash.
      http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/01/sympathy_for_the_devil.html
      worth a read if you are interested in issues regarding formats, web
      standards, etc.

    • afrenyo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2010
        That's a good article, I would also add - in favor of flash - that as exciting as html5 is, it's taking slow to arrive as finalized standard, and likely will still be victimized by browser wars, as have its predecessors.

        Adobe is taking a totally different approach in getting people to adapt Flash as a standard (this is alluded to in the article) and I think, it's been a more successful approach in maintaining a common ground even with its expensive authoring tools.

        Competition is healthy nevertheless, and I always thought, that the more ways content can be presented, ultimately the better. For panoramas, too.

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...> wrote:

        > here is a sober and level-headed essay about Flash.
        > http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/01/sympathy_for_the_devil.html
        > worth a read if you are interested in issues regarding formats, web
        > standards, etc.

      • dtonnes
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2010
          Perhaps the only people who can knock Flash off it's perch would be Google.
          They own Youtube - surely this would be their vehicle for pushing a Flash
          competitor out there and quickly getting a high install base.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 28, 2010
            What does Google streetview run on?
            I thought that is flash too?

            On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:30 AM, dtonnes <dave@...> wrote:

            > Perhaps the only people who can knock Flash off it's perch would be Google.
            >
            > They own Youtube - surely this would be their vehicle for pushing a Flash
            > competitor out there and quickly getting a high install base.

            http://www.DIY-streetview.org

          • bohonus
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 28, 2010
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin@...> wrote:

              > What does Google streetview run on?
              > I thought that is flash too?

              Yes, during Steve Jobs' presentation of the iPad he brought up a Google street view image and spun it around on the tablet's screen.
            • Raphaël Jacquot
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 28, 2010
                On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 11:40 +0000, bohonus wrote:

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > What does Google streetview run on?
                > > I thought that is flash too?
                > >

                > Yes, during Steve Jobs' presentation of the iPad he brought up a Google street view image and spun it around on the tablet's screen.

                he was using the onboard "google maps" app, not the website !
                during the presentation you could see the "plugin missing" icon where
                flash video should be

                however there's something I haven't tested yet, it's using the 3D
                support in the <canvas> html element which is supposed to be supported
                in safari.
              • bohonus
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 28, 2010
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Raphaël Jacquot <sxpert@...> wrote:

                  > On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 11:40 +0000, bohonus wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > What does Google streetview run on?
                  > > > I thought that is flash too?
                  > > >

                  > > Yes, during Steve Jobs' presentation of the iPad he brought up a Google street view image and spun it around on the tablet's screen.
                  >
                  > he was using the onboard "google maps" app, not the website !
                  > during the presentation you could see the "plugin missing" icon where
                  > flash video should be

                  I realize that. I said "yes" referring to the fact that Google Street View was running on the tablet. Obviously they have another way of integrating showing their VR images besides Flash. So what would that be? Is it all custom developed on their part?