all 360cities panos viewable on iphone

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 27, 2010
      Ok, I guess now is as good a time as any, since people are talking about it.

      All panoramas on 360 Cities are now available to be viewed on the iphone.
      Via the regular browser. No app needed :-)

      Just go to any panorama page on your iphone/ipod (e.g.
      www.360cities.net/image/a-busy-morning - any link that is image/..........
      will work) and see a pano. an easy way to see more is to go to our recent
      activity page and click any of those thumbnails -
      www.360cities.net/recent-activity

      It's not quite ready yet which is why I didn't announce it. It's got some
      bugs to work out but it's nearly there. If you can't wait till it's really
      working perfectly, go try it now. ;)

      enjoy,
      Jeffrey

      Jeffrey Martin
      tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

      www.360cities.net - The world's best panoramic photography
      See us on the BBC
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8176497.stm
      See us on WIRED www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/panoramic-photo-prague/

      Re: New iPad from Apple
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/37526;_ylc=X3oDMTJzamZnMmpsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMzNzUyNgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjY0NjI0MDQ4>
      Posted
      by: "Keith Martin" keith@...
      <keith@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20New%20iPad%20from%20Apple> the1keith
      <http://profiles.yahoo.com/the1keith> Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:21 pm (PST)

      Sometime around 27/1/10 (at 12:01 -0800) Don Bain said:

      >Something new is called for here, a development platform and delivery
      >system for iPhone/iPod/iPad display of VR panoramas.

      Absolutely. Perhaps we should look to HTML5 and SVG for playback in
      web pages. For in-app playback what's been done with OpenGL already
      (ref. PangeaVR and CubeWorld) is impressive and promising.

      Imagine an iPad-savvy version of PangeaVR or CubeWorld... what a
      stunning panorama portfolio THAT would be! (And hey, there's
      an(other) possible excuse for buying one.)

    • vinceoglo
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 28, 2010
        Jeffrey,

        Nice try but there are issues that are annoying for enjoying the pictures.
        - the 3D transform in CSS is not quite well, the cube is a little disform.
        - there are dragging issues, i think the width of your page is not like iphone screen width, so when we drag, we drag the page and not the panorama.

        I install the same viewer here: m.360ouest.com and i was not able to have a correct viewer for landscape and portrait mode, and i have some times crashing issue from Javascript i think

        Why didn't you wait a little bit before release this? A stable release is better than a crashing beta?

        Regards

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...> wrote:

        > Ok, I guess now is as good a time as any, since people are talking about it.
        >
        > All panoramas on 360 Cities are now available to be viewed on the iphone.
        > Via the regular browser. No app needed :-)
        >
        > Just go to any panorama page on your iphone/ipod (e.g.
        > www.360cities.net/image/a-busy-morning - any link that is image/..........
        > will work) and see a pano. an easy way to see more is to go to our recent
        > activity page and click any of those thumbnails -
        > www.360cities.net/recent-activity
        >
        > It's not quite ready yet which is why I didn't announce it. It's got some
        > bugs to work out but it's nearly there. If you can't wait till it's really
        > working perfectly, go try it now. ;)
        >
        > enjoy,
        > Jeffrey
        >

        > Jeffrey Martin
        > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin
        >
        > www.360cities.net - The world's best panoramic photography
        > See us on the BBC
        > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8176497.stm
        > See us on WIRED www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/panoramic-photo-prague/
        >

        > Re: New iPad from Apple
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/37526;_ylc=X3oDMTJzamZnMmpsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMzNzUyNgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjY0NjI0MDQ4>
        > Posted
        > by: "Keith Martin" keith@...
        > <keith@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20New%20iPad%20from%20Apple> the1keith
        > <http://profiles.yahoo.com/the1keith> Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:21 pm (PST)
        >
        > Sometime around 27/1/10 (at 12:01 -0800) Don Bain said:
        >
        > >Something new is called for here, a development platform and delivery
        > >system for iPhone/iPod/iPad display of VR panoramas.
        >
        > Absolutely. Perhaps we should look to HTML5 and SVG for playback in
        > web pages. For in-app playback what's been done with OpenGL already
        > (ref. PangeaVR and CubeWorld) is impressive and promising.
        >
        > Imagine an iPad-savvy version of PangeaVR or CubeWorld... what a
        > stunning panorama portfolio THAT would be! (And hey, there's
        > an(other) possible excuse for buying one.)

      • prague
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 28, 2010
          vincent, please read my post:

          > It's not quite ready yet which is why I didn't announce it. It's got some
          > bugs to work out but it's nearly there. If you can't wait till it's really
          > working perfectly, go try it now. ;)

          I am saying it's not finished, but as the discussion was on this topic I thought I should announce it.

          The bugs you described we're aware of, they'll be fixed soon.

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "vinceoglo" <globule22@...> wrote:

          > Jeffrey,
          >
          > Nice try but there are issues that are annoying for enjoying the pictures.
          > - the 3D transform in CSS is not quite well, the cube is a little disform.
          > - there are dragging issues, i think the width of your page is not like iphone screen width, so when we drag, we drag the page and not the panorama.
          >
          > I install the same viewer here: m.360ouest.com and i was not able to have a correct viewer for landscape and portrait mode, and i have some times crashing issue from Javascript i think
          >
          > Why didn't you wait a little bit before release this? A stable release is better than a crashing beta?
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Ok, I guess now is as good a time as any, since people are talking about it.
          > >
          > > All panoramas on 360 Cities are now available to be viewed on the iphone.
          > > Via the regular browser. No app needed :-)
          > >
          > > Just go to any panorama page on your iphone/ipod (e.g.
          > > www.360cities.net/image/a-busy-morning - any link that is image/..........
          > > will work) and see a pano. an easy way to see more is to go to our recent
          > > activity page and click any of those thumbnails -
          > > www.360cities.net/recent-activity
          > >
          > > It's not quite ready yet which is why I didn't announce it. It's got some
          > > bugs to work out but it's nearly there. If you can't wait till it's really
          > > working perfectly, go try it now. ;)
          > >
          > > enjoy,
          > > Jeffrey
          > >

          > > Jeffrey Martin
          > > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin
          > >
          > > www.360cities.net - The world's best panoramic photography
          > > See us on the BBC
          > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8176497.stm
          > > See us on WIRED www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/panoramic-photo-prague/
          > >

          > > Re: New iPad from Apple
          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/37526;_ylc=X3oDMTJzamZnMmpsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMzNzUyNgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjY0NjI0MDQ4>
          > > Posted
          > > by: "Keith Martin" keith@
          > > <keith@?Subject=+Re%3A%20New%20iPad%20from%20Apple> the1keith
          > > <http://profiles.yahoo.com/the1keith> Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:21 pm (PST)
          > >
          > > Sometime around 27/1/10 (at 12:01 -0800) Don Bain said:
          > >
          > > >Something new is called for here, a development platform and delivery
          > > >system for iPhone/iPod/iPad display of VR panoramas.
          > >
          > > Absolutely. Perhaps we should look to HTML5 and SVG for playback in
          > > web pages. For in-app playback what's been done with OpenGL already
          > > (ref. PangeaVR and CubeWorld) is impressive and promising.
          > >
          > > Imagine an iPad-savvy version of PangeaVR or CubeWorld... what a
          > > stunning panorama portfolio THAT would be! (And hey, there's
          > > an(other) possible excuse for buying one.)

        • Fernando Costa Pinto
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 28, 2010
            Hi,

            Go ahead Jeffrey ..you are on the right track...

            Congratulations..

            Fernando
            Salvador Bahia
            Brazil

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 28, 2010
              >vincent, please read my post:

              yes jeffrey i have read it, i just think it is better to launch a feature completely ok and not with little bugs

              regards

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <360cities@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > >

              > > > Re: New iPad from Apple
              > > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/37526;_ylc=X3oDMTJzamZnMmpsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMzNzUyNgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjY0NjI0MDQ4>
              > > > Posted
              > > > by: "Keith Martin" keith@
              > > > <keith@?Subject=+Re%3A%20New%20iPad%20from%20Apple> the1keith
              > > > <http://profiles.yahoo.com/the1keith> Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:21 pm (PST)

              > > > Absolutely. Perhaps we should look to HTML5 and SVG for playback in
              > > > web pages. For in-app playback what's been done with OpenGL already
              > > > (ref. PangeaVR and CubeWorld) is impressive and promising.
              > > >
              > > > Imagine an iPad-savvy version of PangeaVR or CubeWorld... what a
              > > > stunning panorama portfolio THAT would be! (And hey, there's
              > > > an(other) possible excuse for buying one.)

            • Stefan Peter
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 28, 2010
                vinceoglo wrote:

                >>vincent, please read my post:
                >
                > yes jeffrey i have read it, i just think it is better to launch a
                > feature completely ok and not with little bugs

                "It's a feature, not a bug" { (c) Bill Gates }

                ;)

                regards

                Stefan Peter
              • Bostjan Burger
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 28, 2010
                  >Why didn't you wait a little bit before release this? A stable release is better than a crashing beta?
                  Then we would be still with Windows 1.0 from 1983 ;)   (sorry OT only joking.... I couldn't resist)
                  :) Bostjan

                  From: vinceoglo <globule22@...>
                  Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: all 360cities panos viewable on iphone
                  To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 12:20 PM

                  Jeffrey,

                  Nice try but there are issues that are annoying for enjoying the pictures.

                  - the 3D transform in CSS is not quite well, the cube is a little disform.

                  - there are dragging issues, i think the width of your page is not like iphone screen width, so when we drag, we drag the page and not the panorama.

                  I install the same viewer here: m.360ouest.com and i was not able to have a correct viewer for landscape and portrait mode, and i have some times crashing issue from Javascript i think

                  Why didn't you wait a little bit before release this? A stable release is better than a crashing beta?

                • Trausti Hraunfjord
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 28, 2010
                    A few trouble shooting users can only catch so many things. A broader array
                    of potential users who give feedback is a much better/efficient way to find
                    and fix errors.

                    Making a fail-free application is so much easier said than done, especially
                    so when it's developed with limited funds/personnel/time. Those who can
                    help, should do so, in order to help making things better.

                    I would absolutely give my opinion/experience with this feature if I had an
                    iPhone, but I have no interest in any kind of phones... so I can't help
                    directly... apart from giving my iPinion.

                    Trausti

                  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
                      there is no such thing as "launch a feature completetly ok without bugs"

                      sorry :)

                      Re: all 360cities panos viewable on iphone
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/37582;_ylc=X3oDMTJzcDkzMW9sBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMzNzU4MgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjY0NzEwMDQ5>
                      Posted
                      by: "vinceoglo" globule22@...
                      <globule22@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20all%20360cities%20panos%20viewable%20on%20iphone>
                      vinceoglo
                      <http://profiles.yahoo.com/vinceoglo> Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:06 am (PST)

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
                        I was just thinking of 360cities.net and the pages scrolling up and down
                        when using the mouse wheel... :)

                        You don't have to be sorry, just have it fixed :)