why is smartblend still better?

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
      after all these years... why is smartblend 1.25 still better than both
      enblend and ptgui blenders with tricky seams?

      don't get me wrong - ptgui blender and enblend both work very well. but in
      the tricky situations, smartblend consistenly outperforms them in terms of
      blending quality.

      and what has happened to smartblend? has it been developed further as a
      licensed product somewhere? or is it dead at 1.25?

      Jeffrey Martin
      tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

      www.360cities.net - The world's best panoramic photography
      See us on the BBC
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8176497.stm
      See us on WIRED www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/panoramic-photo-prague/

    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
        I'd be carefull here 'cause it always depends on how one rates tricky ;) I had many "basic" or "simple" situations where smartblend terrifcly fails and is pretty much useless. All in all there is yet no "better" blender. Only those which perform better in certain situations.

        Cheers
        J├╝rgen

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...> wrote:

        > after all these years... why is smartblend 1.25 still better than both
        > enblend and ptgui blenders with tricky seams?
        >
        > don't get me wrong - ptgui blender and enblend both work very well. but in
        > the tricky situations, smartblend consistenly outperforms them in terms of
        > blending quality.
        >
        > and what has happened to smartblend? has it been developed further as a
        > licensed product somewhere? or is it dead at 1.25?
        >

        > Jeffrey Martin
        > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin
        >
        > www.360cities.net - The world's best panoramic photography
        > See us on the BBC
        > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8176497.stm
        > See us on WIRED www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/panoramic-photo-prague/

      • bohonus
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...> wrote:

          > after all these years... why is smartblend 1.25 still better than both
          > enblend and ptgui blenders with tricky seams?

          Don't forget about Photoshop's "Auto Blend", which can work very nicely on many occasions. And you can use it on OS X without jumping through hoops.
        • nburtey
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
            Auto-blend ?

            I've never seen this features in Photoshop, where is it ?

            Thanks

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "nburtey" <nburtey@...> wrote:

              > Auto-blend ?
              >
              > I've never seen this features in Photoshop, where is it ?
              >
              > Thanks

              Under the "Edit" menu, where it says "Auto-Blend Layers".
            • Hans
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "nburtey" <nburtey@...> wrote:

                > Auto-blend ?
                >
                > I've never seen this features in Photoshop, where is it ?

                It's been there since CS3 and it is just as good for special blending of moving subjects as Smartblend. I would say it is better.
                http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/CS3-autoblending.html

                The nice thing is that you can easy take the best from each, PTGui and Autoblend if you exposrt as blended and layers.

                Hans

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
                  Am 26.01.2010 09:09, schrieb Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net:

                  > after all these years... why is smartblend 1.25 still better than both
                  > enblend and ptgui blenders with tricky seams?

                  The seam optimization algorithm of smartblend is very clever and the
                  blending uses a wider area.

                  [...]

                  > and what has happened to smartblend? has it been developed further as a
                  > licensed product somewhere? or is it dead at 1.25?

                  Apparently it is part of some commercial package, but I doubt that it is
                  developed any further. Read here the most recent info:
                  http://old.nabble.com/-tp25639052p25647036.html

                  I suggested to have a look at the seams smartblend uses (they are output
                  with the parameter --seamverbose) in order to get an idea how to improve
                  the algorithm in enblend - so far to no avail...

                • michael medina
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
                    photoshop auto-blend does not take into account the 0-360 seam, the zenith
                    or nadir, usually one can work around that though.

                  • John Riley
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 27, 2010
                      On Jan 26, 2010, at 4:05 AM, bohonus wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > after all these years... why is smartblend 1.25 still better than both
                      > > enblend and ptgui blenders with tricky seams?
                      >
                      > Don't forget about Photoshop's "Auto Blend", which can work very nicely on many occasions. And you can use it on OS X without jumping through hoops.

                      Autopano has it on Mac OS X, no hoops required (as did Stitcher, when it was among the living.) I always assumed that the free version hasn't been updated because he found he could make money licensing it to be used internally in commercial stitchers.

                      John

                      John Riley
                      johnriley@...
                      (h)864-461-3504
                      (c)864-431-7075
                      (w)864-503-5775

                    • bohonus
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 27, 2010

                        > Autopano has it on Mac OS X, no hoops required

                        Not quite,

                        http://tinyurl.com/yfnvym4

                        The smartblend implementation within Autopano has plenty of issues for both OS X and Windows.