sony bloggie mhs-pm5 -- request for reviews

  • gohnoriko
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 22, 2010
      Dear all

      I am considering the Sony Bloggie MHS-PM5, at least I was until I read the attached unsettling review on the Sony Style website (Sony Style is Sony's online shop: http://www.sonystyle.com/).

      Do any of you have experience with the 360-degree video? Samples that we can view? Any help much appreciated.

      -goh-
      Goh Kawai, Oregon Coast, USA

      Copied from the Sony Style website
      Reviewer: (Washington, DC)
      Date: Jan 20, 2010
      I've had this product for less than a month

      Pros: Compact Size, Still Photos
      Cons: 360 Lens

      The PM5K is supposed to be a unique enhancement, because of its ability to record 360 video, but the 360 video quality after conversion is absolutely terrible. I wish I could show you how pathetic it looks. It was a huge letdown, because that was the only reason I purchased this particular model. If that's the case for you, too, I would NOT buy this camera.

      The overall quality of the non-360 video is decent. I think it is no different than the Flip camera (I own an Ultra HD), but this model is more expensive than the Flip. The 1080p is slightly more clear than 720 but not dramatically.

      Overall, this was an average effort by Sony, but the main feature on this camera is supposed to be its 360 video lens, but that feature is a complete waste and a dud, because the clarity of the video is ridiculously terrible.

      Maybe, maybe go with the PM5 without the 360 lens, but the Flip is what I will continue to use for now. Nice try, Sony, but not good enough.
    • onezebra1
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 9, 2010
        Here's a short 13.8 MB video test of the Blogoie 360 camera shot in 1280 X 720 30P mode (factory default setting). The clear lens cover has been removed for this shot.

        This was early morning and it was very overcast which made for moderately low light.
        http://www.indiavrtours.com/video/morning.mp4

        Roger Berry