Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: facebook petition to FREE YOUR CAMERA SOFTWARE

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 21, 2010
      On Jan 21, 2010, at 4:30 PM, Erik Krause wrote:

      > Am 22.01.2010 01:18, schrieb Roger Howard:
      >
      >> The question is why not? Why the objection?
      >
      > Marketing? You always give the customer as little as possible. They be
      > grateful for any small step and buy a new product if it only implements
      > some percent of the possible. There must be a next model, where another
      > small step is implemented. There are enough customers willing to throw
      > away their not so old previous camera (mobile, notebook, TV...) for a
      > new one with feature xy...

      No, I totally get why the manufacturers are reluctant - though incrementalism still means eventually we'll get there, somehow, as I think the obvious upgrades (resolution for a given format) will slow and we'll have to see innovation in other features (whether it's increasingly better sensitivty up to the physical limits of the format, or higher speed capture, bigger buffers, etc etc) - I was wondering why *you* seemed to be against the idea. Or were you just playing the pragmatist, pouring cold water on our hopes? I'm not totally naive, I don't really expect anyone at Canon to give a shit what I think, but it's still nice to ponder what might be - it often leads the smaller, more aggressive companies to innovate, and then we can decide whether we want the nice, stable, predictable Canon/Nikon, or something else...

      Cheers -R