VR Photography book discount

  • Scott Highton
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2010
      VR friends,

      This is just a quick reminder that there are only 10 days remaining
      to get the 15% pre-order discount for my book Virtual Reality
      Photography. It is now headed at press, and is scheduled to ship
      (worldwide) in April.

      The book includes 24 chapters in four sections:
      1) Photography Basics
      2) Panoramic VR Imaging
      2) Object VR Imaging
      4) Business Practices

      Virtual Reality Photography
      8.5"x11" softcover format, 320 pages with over 300 illustrations,
      full color
      $44.95 (USD)

      We are offering a special limited time pre-order discount of 15% until
      January 31 ($38.20 USD + S&H).

      To take a look inside the book, and to place a pre-order, please go to:

      http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html

      Thank you again to all the experts and friends in the VR community who
      helped make this book happen, and thanks to so many of you who have
      already placed your orders.

      Regards,

      Scott Highton
      Author, Virtual Reality Photography
      http://www.vrphotography.com

    • A Kielcz
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2010
        are going to sell it on Amazon?

        A Kielcz

        Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 21, 2010
          A. Kielcz wrote:
          "(Are you) going to sell it on Amazon?"

          I need to reiterate that there are currently no plans to sell this
          Virtual Reality Photography book on Amazon. It is being offered
          exclusively on the VR photography web site at:
          http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html

          I very much appreciate the tremendous interest so far, and again, I
          want to thank the VR community for your support. We have electronic
          files that have started going out to reviewers. As those reviews
          begin to be published in the coming months, I'll try to keep everyone
          informed.

          Regards,

          Scott Highton
          Author, Virtual Reality Photography
          Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

        • rami_kolor
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 22, 2010
            Hi Scott,

            I sent you a message a few days ago. I just wanted to know on what software you base your demonstrations in the book. I saw you were very much attached to the QTVR format, which has actually been "abandoned" by Apple. Does your book deal with the Flash format? And do you use the new Autopano Tour software developed by Kolor? Thanks for your light.

            Rami

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 22, 2010
              Hi Rami,

              Sorry I missed your message earlier. You wrote:
              "I sent you a message a few days ago. I just wanted to know on what
              software you base your demonstrations in the book. I saw you were very
              much attached to the QTVR format, which has actually been "abandoned"
              by Apple. Does your book deal with the Flash format? And do you use
              the new Autopano Tour software developed by Kolor? Thanks for your
              light."

              The Virtual Reality Photography book is about, well, virtual reality
              photography -- primarily the photography side of things. I made the
              decision early on not to delve too deeply into the software side for
              two reasons.

              1) There are countless other books and online resources providing
              software support, instruction, help, tips, techniques, FAQ's, forums,
              and online discussion groups for users.

              2) The software world changes so fast that if I included much of
              this, these portions of the book would have been outdated by the time
              the book came off the press. So instead, I focused on the actual
              photography and image capture side. These techniques and methods
              remain far more consistent over time, and that helps keep the book
              relevant for more than just a few months (or beyond the next software
              revisions).

              Consider also that over the last year or so, the industry has shifted
              primarily from QTVR to Flash for delivery of VR panoramas and objects,
              but it is widely agreed that within the next year, it will probably
              shift again away from Flash (which is Adobe's proprietary format) to
              HTML5.

              I wish this book could be all things to all people, but instead I
              chose to present the subject matter which I know best and which will
              endure over time -- virtual reality photography. It will make an
              excellent guide to accompany the User Guides and software manuals for
              many of the VR authoring applications on the market today.

              You can see details of the book's content by looking through the
              samples (including the Table of Contents and Index) provided at:
              http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html

              Thanks for your interest.

              Regards,

              Scott Highton
              Author, Virtual Reality Photography
              Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

            • bohonus
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 22, 2010
                Much of this is true. However, ongoing new developments and capabilities in software has to a certain degree, certainly had an effect on expanding the techniques we all use to shoot VR panoramic VR to begin with. Even using the same old equipment, or in some cases- modifying it.

                Perhaps these could be nice things to cover in an online addendum to the book no?

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Highton <scott@...> wrote:

                > The Virtual Reality Photography book is about, well, virtual reality
                > photography -- primarily the photography side of things. I made the
                > decision early on not to delve too deeply into the software side for
                > two reasons.
                >
                > 1) There are countless other books and online resources providing
                > software support, instruction, help, tips, techniques, FAQ's, forums,
                > and online discussion groups for users.
                >
                > 2) The software world changes so fast that if I included much of
                > this, these portions of the book would have been outdated by the time
                > the book came off the press. So instead, I focused on the actual
                > photography and image capture side. These techniques and methods
                > remain far more consistent over time, and that helps keep the book
                > relevant for more than just a few months (or beyond the next software
                > revisions).
                >
                > Consider also that over the last year or so, the industry has shifted
                > primarily from QTVR to Flash for delivery of VR panoramas and objects,
                > but it is widely agreed that within the next year, it will probably
                > shift again away from Flash (which is Adobe's proprietary format) to
                > HTML5.
                >
                > I wish this book could be all things to all people, but instead I
                > chose to present the subject matter which I know best and which will
                > endure over time -- virtual reality photography. It will make an
                > excellent guide to accompany the User Guides and software manuals for
                > many of the VR authoring applications on the market today.
                >

                > You can see details of the book's content by looking through the
                > samples (including the Table of Contents and Index) provided at:
                > http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html
                >
                > Thanks for your interest.
                >
                > Regards,
                >

                > Scott Highton
                > Author, Virtual Reality Photography
                > Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

              • Jim Watters
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 30, 2010
                  Just want to say that my copy of "Virtual Reality Photography" arrived
                  yesterday. I spent a couple hours flipping through the book and am very
                  impressed with coverage, detail, and quality. This is going to be a
                  very valuable tool. Especialy to someone just starting out.

                  Jim Watters
                  http://photocreations.ca