VR Photography book announcement

  • Scott Highton
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 9, 2010
      VR friends,

      It is with great pleasure that I announce the completion of my book
      Virtual Reality Photography. It is headed to press at the end of this
      month, and is scheduled to ship (worldwide) in April.

      The book includes 24 chapters in four sections:
      1) Photography Basics
      2) Panoramic VR Imaging
      2) Object VR Imaging
      4) Business Practices

      Virtual Reality Photography
      8.5"x11" softcover format, 320 pages with over 300 illustrations,
      full color
      $44.95 (USD)

      We are offering a special limited time pre-order discount of 15% until
      January 31 ($38.20 USD + S&H).

      To take a look inside the book, and to place orders, please go to:

      http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html

      I wanted to extend special thanks to all the experts and friends in
      the VR community who helped make this book happen. I am thrilled to
      finally have it completed, and to be able to share it with you all.

      Regards,

      Scott Highton
      Author, Virtual Reality Photography
      http://www.vrphotography.com

    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 9, 2010
        I'm a little sad that when I went on to order what seems to be a very
        thorough and well-illustrated book on every aspect of our work, the
        cost of P&P to Japan was much higher than the 15% discount... more
        like 40%! So I will wait until it is available from Amazon here, as
        they will bulk up orders from the US and offer a discount from the
        list price anyway...

        That peeve aside, well done! I look forward to reading the book when
        it comes out.

        Roger W.

        On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:03:54 +0900, Scott Highton <scott@...>
        wrote:

        > VR friends,
        >
        > It is with great pleasure that I announce the completion of my book
        > Virtual Reality Photography. It is headed to press at the end of this
        > month, and is scheduled to ship (worldwide) in April.
        >
        > The book includes 24 chapters in four sections:
        > 1) Photography Basics
        > 2) Panoramic VR Imaging
        > 2) Object VR Imaging
        > 4) Business Practices
        >
        > Virtual Reality Photography
        > 8.5"x11" softcover format, 320 pages with over 300 illustrations,
        > full color
        > $44.95 (USD)
        >
        > We are offering a special limited time pre-order discount of 15% until
        > January 31 ($38.20 USD + S&H).
        >
        > To take a look inside the book, and to place orders, please go to:
        >
        > http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html
        >

        > I wanted to extend special thanks to all the experts and friends in
        > the VR community who helped make this book happen. I am thrilled to
        > finally have it completed, and to be able to share it with you all.
        >
        > Regards,
        >

        > Scott Highton
        > Author, Virtual Reality Photography
        > http://www.vrphotography.com

        Business: www.adex-japan.com
        Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      • luca vascon
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 10, 2010
          hehehe.. 67.7$ in Italy!!!
          :-))

          2010/1/10 Roger D. Williams <roger@...>

          > I'm a little sad that when I went on to order what seems to be a very
          > thorough and well-illustrated book on every aspect of our work, the
          > cost of P&P to Japan was much higher than the 15% discount... more
          > like 40%! So I will wait until it is available from Amazon here, as
          > they will bulk up orders from the US and offer a discount from the
          > list price anyway...
          >
          > That peeve aside, well done! I look forward to reading the book when
          > it comes out.
          >
          > Roger W.
          >
          > On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:03:54 +0900, Scott Highton <scott@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > VR friends,
          > >
          > > It is with great pleasure that I announce the completion of my book
          > > Virtual Reality Photography. It is headed to press at the end of this
          > > month, and is scheduled to ship (worldwide) in April.
          > >
          > > The book includes 24 chapters in four sections:
          > > 1) Photography Basics
          > > 2) Panoramic VR Imaging
          > > 2) Object VR Imaging
          > > 4) Business Practices
          > >
          > > Virtual Reality Photography
          > > 8.5"x11" softcover format, 320 pages with over 300 illustrations,
          > > full color
          > > $44.95 (USD)
          > >
          > > We are offering a special limited time pre-order discount of 15% until
          > > January 31 ($38.20 USD + S&H).
          > >
          > > To take a look inside the book, and to place orders, please go to:
          > >
          > > http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html
          > >

          > > I wanted to extend special thanks to all the experts and friends in
          > > the VR community who helped make this book happen. I am thrilled to
          > > finally have it completed, and to be able to share it with you all.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >

          > > Scott Highton
          > > Author, Virtual Reality Photography
          > > http://www.vrphotography.com

          > Business: www.adex-japan.com

          Luca Vascon.

          www.canalview.it
          www.officinepanottiche.com

        • Tom Sparks
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 10, 2010
            where else well this book be sold?

            tom_a_sparks

[...]

            See what's on at the movies in your area. Find out now: http://au.movies.yahoo.com/session-times/
          • Paulo Fernandes
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 10, 2010
              haha

              Luca, to Portugal it's "only" 67,15$ :)

              Sorry Scott, the book looks very nice (judging from the content table), but
              the shipping is quite expensive for non US readers :(

              Guess we'll have to wait for amazon ;)

              Com os melhores cumprimentos,

              Paulo Fernandes
              Multimedia

              ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
              Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multim�dia
              Cal�ada do Lidador, 22, 1�Andar
              4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
              Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
              :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

              On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 9:12 AM, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

              > hehehe.. 67.7$ in Italy!!!
              > :-))
              >
              > 2010/1/10 Roger D. Williams <roger@... <roger%40adex-japan.com>
              > >

              > > I'm a little sad that when I went on to order what seems to be a very
              > > thorough and well-illustrated book on every aspect of our work, the
              > > cost of P&P to Japan was much higher than the 15% discount... more
              > > like 40%! So I will wait until it is available from Amazon here, as
              > > they will bulk up orders from the US and offer a discount from the
              > > list price anyway...
              > >
              > > That peeve aside, well done! I look forward to reading the book when
              > > it comes out.
              > >
              > > Roger W.
              > >
              > > On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:03:54 +0900, Scott Highton <scott@...<scott%40highton.com>
              > >
              > > wrote:
              > >
              > > > VR friends,
              > > >
              > > > It is with great pleasure that I announce the completion of my book
              > > > Virtual Reality Photography. It is headed to press at the end of this
              > > > month, and is scheduled to ship (worldwide) in April.
              > > >
              > > > The book includes 24 chapters in four sections:
              > > > 1) Photography Basics
              > > > 2) Panoramic VR Imaging
              > > > 2) Object VR Imaging
              > > > 4) Business Practices
              > > >
              > > > Virtual Reality Photography
              > > > 8.5"x11" softcover format, 320 pages with over 300 illustrations,
              > > > full color
              > > > $44.95 (USD)
              > > >
              > > > We are offering a special limited time pre-order discount of 15% until
              > > > January 31 ($38.20 USD + S&H).
              > > >
              > > > To take a look inside the book, and to place orders, please go to:
              > > >
              > > > http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html
              > > >

              > > > I wanted to extend special thanks to all the experts and friends in
              > > > the VR community who helped make this book happen. I am thrilled to
              > > > finally have it completed, and to be able to share it with you all.
              > > >
              > > > Regards,
              > > >

              > > > Scott Highton
              > > > Author, Virtual Reality Photography
              > > > http://www.vrphotography.com

              > > --
              > > Business: www.adex-japan.com
              > > Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
              > >

              > > ------------------------------------
              > >
              > > --
              > >

              > --
              > Luca Vascon.
              >
              > www.canalview.it
              > www.officinepanottiche.com

            • A Kielcz
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 10, 2010
                Amazon will sell it cheaper

                A Kielcz

                Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                Sorry Scott, the book looks very nice (judging from the content table), but
                the shipping is quite expensive for non US readers :(

                Guess we'll have to wait for amazon ;)

                Com os melhores cumprimentos,

                Paulo Fernandes
                Multimedia

                ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multimédia
                Calçada do Lidador, 22, 1ºAndar

              • Matthew Rogers
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 10, 2010
                  Why not just read this for free ?

                  http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/panorama/TOC.html

                  anything else you need can be found online using Google in a few minutes.

                  Matt

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 10, 2010
                    Hi all,

                    I do understand the discouragement about the high international
                    shipping costs for the book. I feel the same way.

                    Unfortunately, the book is necessarily being distributed initially
                    from the United States, and U.S. Postal Service fees are quite high
                    for a 3 pound shipment. The S&H fee being charged for international
                    customers are virtually at cost.

                    If we can find a way to reduce these in the future, we absolutely will
                    do so. At this time, unfortunately, there are no contracts for Amazon
                    distribution, as initital distribution is being done exclusively
                    through the vrphotography.com web site.

                    We are looking at the possibility of electronic book format
                    distribution as an option (a download -- so no shipping & handling
                    costs), and will let everyone know if/when that becomes an option.

                    I am also very much hoping to attend the Tucson 2010 conference (IVRPA
                    and IAPP), and am looking in to having these books -- fresh off the
                    presses -- available there. That might be an advantage for
                    international buyers who are attending to save the high shipping
                    costs. However, until the books are actually off the press, we won't
                    know for sure if we can make the Tucson 2010 schedule. I am working
                    on it, though.

                    Thank you for your understanding and support.

                    Regards,

                    Scott

                    Scott Highton
                    Author, Virtual Reality Photography
                    Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

                  • tom_a_sparks
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 10, 2010
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Highton <scott@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > We are looking at the possibility of electronic book format
                      > distribution as an option (a download -- so no shipping & handling
                      > costs), and will let everyone know if/when that becomes an option.

                      have you looked at http://www.lulu.com ?

                      tom sparks
                    • Steve Morton
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 10, 2010
                        Hi Scott,

                        Congratulations on your publication

                        An option for international shipping could be the USPS Priority Mail®
                        International Flat Rate Envelope which is 9 1/2" x 12 1/2" and accepts a
                        maximum weight 4 pounds. Price is $13.45 (or $12.78 online) to most
                        places and USPS supplies the cardboard envelope. These flat rate
                        cardboard envelopes were designed for shipping books, see:

                        http://ircalc.usps.gov/default.aspx?Mode=Intl_Single&CID=10013

                        All the best
                        Steve

                        Melbourne
                        Australia
                      • Scott Highton
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 10, 2010
                          Hi all,

                          Thanks so much for the excellent suggestions. This sort of support is
                          one of the great values to being a part of online communities such as
                          this PanoTools group.

                          Tom, we looked into the Lulu (and other international on-demand)
                          publishing option early on, but unfortunately, the base cost just to
                          manufacture each book is 200% - 300% as much as our current full
                          retail price. We'd have to add shipping and profit to that. While I
                          have no doubt that this book will be very well received, I really
                          don't think a price tag of $100.00 USD (or more) would generate too
                          many sales.

                          For those of you who haven't looked at all the detail and information
                          provided at http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html yet, consider
                          that the book is 320 pages, 8.5"x11" in format, and full color
                          throughout -- rich with over 300 illustrations. It also covers far
                          more than just the panoramic side of VR photography that most other
                          books on the subject have been limited to.

                          Steve, the size of the book -- particularly its thickness -- also
                          prohibits it from being shipped via the USPS Priority International
                          Flat Rate envelope. The book just doesn't quite fit inside these
                          envelopes, and if crammed in, tends to make the seams come apart --
                          meaning damaged or missing books when they arrive. I have also
                          received a number of softcover books mailed with this sort of
                          packaging in the past, and damage rates are pretty high. Therefore,
                          we necessarily had to choose a more durable cardboard (box-type)
                          packaging for shipments.

                          We continue to explore all options, and if we can find a better one,
                          will gladly pass the savings on to customers.

                          Thank you again to everyone for your support and suggestions.

                          Regards,

                          Scott Highton
                          Author, Virtual Reality Photography
                          Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

                        • Manfred Kroeger
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 10, 2010
                            I sometimes order used books (mainly coffee table books) on Amazon. All books are shipped for 3 EUR and it does not matter where they come from. For the customer that's really great as I often buy english books that come from the US, GB, NZ, AU... They are ususally sent in envelopes, sometimes shrink-wrapped in a thick durable plastic foil, sometimes bubble wrap padded and sometimes those envelopes are simply made out of cardboard. It all worked well for me.

                            Two times in the last few years I received a large (white) bag made out of some kind of woven plastic fabric with a book in cardboard packaging inside, shipped from the US to Germany. When I asked the guy at the customs office where I had to collect those "suspicious" bags what this is all about and that I have never seen this before, he told me that this is most probably a special and very cheap way of shipping.

                            Unfortunately I don't know the shipping costs for this because I never kept those bags, but maybe you can look into this. I don't know if it's cheap because of the low value content or because of lower priority air freight.

                            Manfred

                            -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                            > Datum: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:58:39 -0800
                            > Von: Scott Highton <scott@...>
                            > An: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                            > Betreff: [PanoToolsNG] Re: VR Photography book announcement

                            > Hi all,
                            >
                            > Thanks so much for the excellent suggestions. This sort of support is
                            > one of the great values to being a part of online communities such as
                            > this PanoTools group.
                            >

                            > Tom, we looked into the Lulu (and other international on-demand)
                            > publishing option early on, but unfortunately, the base cost just to
                            > manufacture each book is 200% - 300% as much as our current full
                            > retail price. We'd have to add shipping and profit to that. While I
                            > have no doubt that this book will be very well received, I really
                            > don't think a price tag of $100.00 USD (or more) would generate too
                            > many sales.
                            >
                            > For those of you who haven't looked at all the detail and information
                            > provided at http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html yet, consider
                            > that the book is 320 pages, 8.5"x11" in format, and full color
                            > throughout -- rich with over 300 illustrations. It also covers far
                            > more than just the panoramic side of VR photography that most other
                            > books on the subject have been limited to.
                            >

                            > Steve, the size of the book -- particularly its thickness -- also
                            > prohibits it from being shipped via the USPS Priority International
                            > Flat Rate envelope. The book just doesn't quite fit inside these
                            > envelopes, and if crammed in, tends to make the seams come apart --
                            > meaning damaged or missing books when they arrive. I have also
                            > received a number of softcover books mailed with this sort of
                            > packaging in the past, and damage rates are pretty high. Therefore,
                            > we necessarily had to choose a more durable cardboard (box-type)
                            > packaging for shipments.
                            >

                            > We continue to explore all options, and if we can find a better one,
                            > will gladly pass the savings on to customers.
                            >
                            > Thank you again to everyone for your support and suggestions.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            >

                            > Scott Highton
                            > Author, Virtual Reality Photography
                            > Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

                          • Don Bain
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 10, 2010
                              Come ON, everybody!

                              It's not about the shipping fees, or the price of the book. Scott has
                              been a leader in VR panoramas since before anybody on the outside had
                              even heard of it. Before some of you ever clicked a shutter. He has
                              written this book as a historical marker, the authoritative view of VR
                              in 2010. I ordered my copy instanter.

                              Either you are interested, or not. Don't quibble about it, just buy it
                              or not! (Or wait for Amazon to ship worldwide.)

                              Or maybe you want to write your own? Start now and get it published in
                              2015, I'll buy a copy, I promise.

                              Don
                            • mrjimbo
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 10, 2010
                                thanks Don,
                                Truth is we all get a little noise about something or other at times.. The book seems to me to be a great reference piece and also a snapshot in time.

                                jimbo

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 11, 2010
                                  :-)
                                  I want Scott's book, and I'll write mine.
                                  I'm panoraming digitally since 1998, and got my hand on a horizon in 92, so
                                  I'm one of the "historical" ones too....
                                  But I hate those postal fees, even cause I'll have to pay a 25% import
                                  duties, calculated on the item plus shipping cost...
                                  If the item is sent as "book" it will have lower duties and special postage
                                  treatment...

                                  2010/1/11 Don Bain <dbain@...>

                                  > Come ON, everybody!
                                  >
                                  > It's not about the shipping fees, or the price of the book. Scott has
                                  > been a leader in VR panoramas since before anybody on the outside had
                                  > even heard of it. Before some of you ever clicked a shutter. He has
                                  > written this book as a historical marker, the authoritative view of VR
                                  > in 2010. I ordered my copy instanter.
                                  >
                                  > Either you are interested, or not. Don't quibble about it, just buy it
                                  > or not! (Or wait for Amazon to ship worldwide.)
                                  >
                                  > Or maybe you want to write your own? Start now and get it published in
                                  > 2015, I'll buy a copy, I promise.
                                  >
                                  > Don

                                  Luca Vascon.

                                  www.canalview.it
                                  www.officinepanottiche.com

                                • AYRTON
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 11, 2010
                                    hahaha :-)
                                    Luca don't worry about your 25% duties
                                    in Brazil they're 60% !!!
                                    just for duties :-)

                                    best
                                    abraços
                                    AYRTON

                                    On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 6:29 AM, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

                                    > :-)
                                    > I want Scott's book, and I'll write mine.
                                    > I'm panoraming digitally since 1998, and got my hand on a horizon in 92, so
                                    > I'm one of the "historical" ones too....
                                    > But I hate those postal fees, even cause I'll have to pay a 25% import
                                    > duties, calculated on the item plus shipping cost...
                                    > If the item is sent as "book" it will have lower duties and special postage
                                    > treatment...
                                    >

                                    > 2010/1/11 Don Bain <dbain@...>
                                    >
                                    > > Come ON, everybody!
                                    > >
                                    > > It's not about the shipping fees, or the price of the book. Scott has
                                    > > been a leader in VR panoramas since before anybody on the outside had
                                    > > even heard of it. Before some of you ever clicked a shutter. He has
                                    > > written this book as a historical marker, the authoritative view of VR
                                    > > in 2010. I ordered my copy instanter.
                                    > >
                                    > > Either you are interested, or not. Don't quibble about it, just buy it
                                    > > or not! (Or wait for Amazon to ship worldwide.)
                                    > >
                                    > > Or maybe you want to write your own? Start now and get it published in
                                    > > 2015, I'll buy a copy, I promise.
                                    > >
                                    > > Don
                                    > >

                                    > > ------------------------------------
                                    > >
                                    > > --
                                    > >

                                    > --
                                    > Luca Vascon.
                                    >
                                    > www.canalview.it
                                    > www.officinepanottiche.com

                                    ------------
                                    | A Y R |
                                    | T O N |
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 11, 2010
                                      Roftl!
                                      :-D

                                      2010/1/11 AYRTON <avi@...>

                                      > hahaha :-)
                                      > Luca don't worry about your 25% duties
                                      > in Brazil they're 60% !!!
                                      > just for duties :-)
                                      >
                                      > best
                                      > abraços
                                      > AYRTON
                                      >

                                      > On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 6:29 AM, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > :-)
                                      > > I want Scott's book, and I'll write mine.
                                      > > I'm panoraming digitally since 1998, and got my hand on a horizon in 92,
                                      > so
                                      > > I'm one of the "historical" ones too....
                                      > > But I hate those postal fees, even cause I'll have to pay a 25% import
                                      > > duties, calculated on the item plus shipping cost...
                                      > > If the item is sent as "book" it will have lower duties and special
                                      > postage
                                      > > treatment...
                                      > >

                                      > > 2010/1/11 Don Bain <dbain@...>
                                      > >
                                      > > > Come ON, everybody!
                                      > > >
                                      > > > It's not about the shipping fees, or the price of the book. Scott has
                                      > > > been a leader in VR panoramas since before anybody on the outside had
                                      > > > even heard of it. Before some of you ever clicked a shutter. He has
                                      > > > written this book as a historical marker, the authoritative view of VR
                                      > > > in 2010. I ordered my copy instanter.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Either you are interested, or not. Don't quibble about it, just buy it
                                      > > > or not! (Or wait for Amazon to ship worldwide.)
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Or maybe you want to write your own? Start now and get it published in
                                      > > > 2015, I'll buy a copy, I promise.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Don
                                      > > >

                                      > > > ------------------------------------
                                      > > >
                                      > > > --
                                      > > >

                                      > > --
                                      > > Luca Vascon.
                                      > >
                                      > > www.canalview.it
                                      > > www.officinepanottiche.com

                                      > > --
                                      > >

                                      > --
                                      > ------------
                                      > | A Y R |
                                      > | T O N |

                                      Luca Vascon.

                                      www.canalview.it
                                      www.officinepanottiche.com

                                    • John Riley
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 11, 2010
                                        On Jan 10, 2010, at 11:42 PM, Manfred Kroeger wrote:

                                        > Two times in the last few years I received a large (white) bag made out of some kind of woven plastic fabric with a book in cardboard packaging inside, shipped from the US to Germany. When I asked the guy at the customs office where I had to collect those "suspicious" bags what this is all about and that I have never seen this before, he told me that this is most probably a special and very cheap way of shipping.

                                        Those were probably Tyvek (see Wikipedia.) Those envelopes are amazing - almost impossible to rip, waterproof, but breathable, etc. I have used them to ship books many times and have never lost one. Since it is flexible, you need something to protect the book so that the corners aren't dented.

                                        John

                                        John Riley
                                        johnriley@...
                                        (h)864-461-3504
                                        (c)864-431-7075
                                        (w)864-503-5775

                                      • mrjimbo
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 11, 2010
                                          Ok I hope what follows is helpful..
                                          Yes the bags are probably Tyvek.. However their are different types of them some are Tyvek with bubble wrap liners.
                                          ANyway teh best way I've found to ship books is bty using teh USPS .. what they call media mail.. (use dto be called book rate). We do work for an artist which in this case includes drop shipping his art work and also his books.. We ship all over the world and us the USPS to do it.. unless the customer specifies using fedex which is the only otehr way we do it.
                                          Anyway, here are a couple of urls that will let you get a sense or what the actual ship cost will be....... http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm & http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm100/dmm100.pdf .. The advantage of using the USPS is that they bring far better value to the ship cost relative to weight. So this stuff should get you pretty close to your ship cost .. the rest is for handling fees.. also note these slick tyvek bags arn't free they have a cost..

                                          jimbo