PTGui and stitching symmetrical rooms

  • david_in_sb
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2006
      My first post to this list...

      Hello everyone!

      I am using PTGuiMac and am having trouble stitching symmetrical rooms. I shoot a lot of
      hotel ballrooms and every side is very similar. I find that PTGui is unable to stitch these so I
      have to use Stitcher. Have any of you run into this kind of problem? I don't have time to
      manually check each pair of control points!

      It would be nice if PTGui looked at pairs of images and then placed control points down for
      that pair. It doesn't seem to do that.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated!

      Thank you all!

      David
    • 360 Precision
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 31, 2006
        Hi David,

        You can do that quite easily, from the Control Points menu just
        select Generate Control Points for selected images and PTGui will
        generate the correct control points. Obviously you will have to do
        this manually for each image pair.

        Matt

        On 31 Oct 2006, at 10:55, david_in_sb wrote:

        > My first post to this list...
        >
        > Hello everyone!
        >
        > I am using PTGuiMac and am having trouble stitching symmetrical
        > rooms. I shoot a lot of
        > hotel ballrooms and every side is very similar. I find that PTGui
        > is unable to stitch these so I
        > have to use Stitcher. Have any of you run into this kind of
        > problem? I don't have time to
        > manually check each pair of control points!
        >
        > It would be nice if PTGui looked at pairs of images and then placed
        > control points down for
        > that pair. It doesn't seem to do that.
        >
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
        >
        > Thank you all!
        >
        > David

      • ptgroup
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 31, 2006
          David:
          I don´t understand what you mean:
          JUST selecting PAIR of images and setting conreol points to THAT PAIR is a
          feature of the new version of PTGUI -- if I am not completey wrong.

          Just try to optimze manualle / advance and ask someone in the PANOTOOLANG- group at yahoo.
          You can ask John Houghton directly (hope John doesn´t come down on me now !!)- but he helped me a lot - and still does.

          Ciao
          Mike

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 31, 2006
            I find that sticking bright post-it notes on difficult walls makes stitching
            a lot easier. My camera bag has various sizes and colors of post-it notes.
            It makes automatic and manual stitching a lot easier.

            Rick Drew

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 31, 2006
              On Tuesday, October 31, 2006 at 10:55, david_in_sb wrote:

              > I am using PTGuiMac and am having trouble stitching symmetrical rooms. I
              > shoot a lot of hotel ballrooms and every side is very similar. I find that
              > PTGui is unable to stitch these [...]

              I suspect you use PTGui in assistant mode. Don't do that. In
              assistant mode PTGui tries to align the images for you. Try to pre-
              align images instead.

              This could be either done by hand in pano editor, by "fill yaw" in
              images tab or using a template. Then run "Generate control points for
              all images" from the menu. Could be you must switch to "Advanced"
              first to see the tab pages.

              best regards
              http://www.erik-krause.de/
            • david_in_sb
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 31, 2006
                Mike - You are correct however the goal is to not have to manually stitch. I was hoping
                PTGui could look at a pair of images and figure out where control points should go. In a
                symmetrical room such as a hotel ballroom with a lot of detail but very similar detail it is
                almost impossible for a human to find similar control that match up. There is carpeting
                and walls that are very detailed but very similar to each other. I am not a programmer
                (any more) but I would think it's possible to program such that it could figure out the
                common points on the overlap of two images... after it's finished with the first 2 images it
                could do the next pair and so on... this way it would eliminate having to do it manually
                and trying to get as close as possible. In some images it is just not possible to do so
                manually.

                I like the post-it note idea and may explore that - the trouble with that is sometimes the
                ballroom is very large and the post it notes would be very hard to see. Not to mention the
                retouching later.

                Thanks!

                David

                > David:
                > I don´t understand what you mean:
                > JUST selecting PAIR of images and setting conreol points to THAT PAIR is a
                > feature of the new version of PTGUI -- if I am not completey wrong.
                >
                > Just try to optimze manualle / advance and ask someone in the PANOTOOLANG- group
                at yahoo.
                > You can ask John Houghton directly (hope John doesn´t come down on me now !!)- but
                he helped me a lot - and still does.

                > Ciao
                > Mike
                Auftrag von david_in_sb
                > Gesendet: Dienstag, 31. Oktober 2006 11:55
                > An: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                > Betreff: [PanoToolsNG] PTGui and stitching symmetrical rooms
                >

                > My first post to this list...
                >
                > Hello everyone!
                >
                > I am using PTGuiMac and am having trouble stitching symmetrical rooms. I shoot a lot
                of
                > hotel ballrooms and every side is very similar. I find that PTGui is unable to stitch these
                so I
                > have to use Stitcher. Have any of you run into this kind of problem? I don't have time to
                > manually check each pair of control points!
                >
                > It would be nice if PTGui looked at pairs of images and then placed control points
                down for
                > that pair. It doesn't seem to do that.
                >
                > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
                >
                > Thank you all!
                >
                > David

              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 31, 2006
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "david_in_sb" <david@...> wrote:

                  > Mike - You are correct however the goal is to not have to manually stitch. I was hoping
                  > PTGui could look at a pair of images and figure out where control points should go. In a
                  > symmetrical room such as a hotel ballroom with a lot of detail but very similar detail it is
                  > almost impossible for a human to find similar control that match up. There is carpeting
                  > and walls that are very detailed but very similar to each other.

                  PTgui does this very good. You do not say what lens/camera you use and how many
                  images you take. This may be important.
                  The only type of images you should get problems with are rooms with just plain white
                  walls and very limited contrast.
                  If you use the advanced stitching you should use a template containg your optimized lens
                  data + crop and yaw. It take 2 seconds to apply it and than you can just optimize and
                  usually you have a perfect result immidiatelly.

                  > I am not a programmer
                  > (any more) but I would think it's possible to program such that it could figure out the
                  > common points on the overlap of two images... after it's finished with the first 2 images
                  it
                  > could do the next pair and so on...

                  Well that is exactly what PTGui does. In less than 30 seconds.

                  >this way it would eliminate having to do it manually
                  > and trying to get as close as possible. In some images it is just not possible to do so
                  > manually.

                  If you can not find manual controlpoints PTGui or any other autocontrolpoint generator
                  can not find it.

                  > I like the post-it note idea and may explore that - the trouble with that is sometimes the
                  > ballroom is very large and the post it notes would be very hard to see. Not to mention

                  This method is only to generate a good template with optimized data for the corrections
                  of your lens.
                  When you have a perfect lens optimizing you usually do not need to optimize anything
                  else than yaw, pitch and roll.

                  Hans
                  www.panoramas.dk
                • ptgroup
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 31, 2006
                    Yes: if you have your template set up, it´s easy to stitch.
                    As Hans said: only yaw, pitch and roll and that´s it for most of the shots.
                    Ciao
                    Mike
                    -------------------------

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
                      Hmmm ok it sounds like I need to learn about making a template. That may solve my
                      problem with symmetrical rooms. I will try it and let you all know my progress. Thank you
                      all for your help! By the way I am using a Nikon and a 10.5mm lens for my pans.

                      Thanks again!

                      David Palermo
                    • ptgroup
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
                        If you want I can send you my template.
                        Works fine - just YPR and that´s it,
                        used it sometimes with PTGUI 5.6 (??)
                        I think John could have an even better one though.
                        Ciao
                        Mike

                        Mit freundlichen Grüßen
                        HMS
                        M. Hundrieser

                        Neu:
                        Unsere Virtugrafien im Stern- Online Magazin "View":
                        http://view.stern.de/fc/user/23807/

                        Besuchen sie doch unsere neue "Sphärische Galerie" unter:
                        http://www.netzserver1.de/pg
                        -------------------------
                        http://www.compulanz.de
                        http://www.virtugraf.de
                        mailto: hmsmail@...

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 3, 2006
                          I am carrying a roll of the blue painters masking tape with me. Like
                          Post Its, it shouldn't harm a painted surface. I had a stitching problem
                          once with a large plain surface, so now I hope I am prepared.

                          --
                          LOOKING GLASS FILMS
                          Steve Slocomb