Re: [PanoToolsNG] 'nuther mirrorless DSLR...

  • Fulvio Senore
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 4 10:16 AM
      Keith Martin ha scritto:
      > Sometime around 4/1/10 (at 17:44 +0100) Raphaƫl Jacquot said:
      >
      >> technically, with no mirror, it's NOT a DSLR...
      >
      > I bit my tongue, thanks for saying it for me. ;-)
      > It is a dSL - there's no Reflex, in the SLR sense.
      >
      > Does that matter? Well... there are people who
      > are happy with digital/electronic viewfinders and
      > people who aren't. I'm definitely one of the
      > latter. A 640x480px screen cannot be as accurate
      > or precise as a purely optical view through a
      > traditional pentaprism, and it must have *some*
      > impact on battery life too.
      >
      > Ah well, different horses for different courses, as the saying goes.

      I have bought a Panasonic G1 for Christmas and I am very fond of it. I
      mainly shoot mountain landscapes so I must carry the camera on my
      shoulders. The G1 and its lenses are really lightweight: you can feel
      the difference in the backpack.

      About the viewfinder, it is surely different from an SRL one but I like
      it. It reminds me of the finder in the old twin lenses Rolleifexes,
      looking from the top of the camera: grainy and low resolution. Sorry but
      I miss some English words to explain this better.
      Anyway, the world through the G1 viewfinder looks uglier than through an
      SRL viewfinder. This can seem a bad thing, but the viewfinder is not
      designed to look at the world, but to compose the photo. I feel that the
      G1 look remembers me that I must compose the photo, not look at the
      world outside. I always struggled to look at the image in the finder,
      not at the world through it: this helped me at least to keep the horizon
      leveled...

      The finder looks also rather large, probably larger than many DSRL cameras.

      Of course different people have different tastes, but I think that it is
      worth trying that viewfinder.

      About battery life, it looks like the battery life is rather long.
      Yesterday I hiked with the G1 hanging "naked" from the backpack, and the
      temperature was several celsius degrees under zero: the battery lasted
      without problems, even in that cold.

      Fulvio Senore
    • luca vascon
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 6 2:31 AM
        No. Not any single 4/3 around.
        But in agnos site you can get D80 raws...

        2010/1/6 bohonus <bradford@...>

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I tested tthe sigma, and the results were terryfingly good.
        > > :-)
        > >

        > Was it the Sigma 4.5mm? Have you any RAW shots done with m4/3 I can take a
        > look at?

        Luca Vascon.

        www.canalview.it
        www.officinepanottiche.com