Re: [PanoToolsNG] oh God they're using GSV already :-(

  • Wim Koornneef
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
      I like the description of the author on the website:

      ‘the world captured by
      google appears to be more truthful and more transparent because of the
      weight accorded to external
      reality, the perception of a neutral, unbiased recording, and even the
      vastness of the project’

      IMO, only the words above are real art ;-)

      Wim

      AYRTON - avi wrote:

      > Ge
      > read this about
      > a photo exposition using scenes and parts from GSV scenes:
      >
      > <
      > http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/10/view/8402/jon-rafman-google-street-views.html
      >>

      > [ ]s
      > AYRTON
      >

      > ------------
      > | A Y R |
      > | T O N |

    • Greg Nuspel
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
        I guess he should be called the Accidental Artist.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
          Sometime around 2/1/10 (at 01:06 -0800) Wim Koornneef said:

          >IMO, only the words above are real art ;-)

          I'll add my tuppence if that's ok, as this is an area that's not
          disconnected with what I do in my day job. ;-)

          Part of what can turn something into art is the conscious selection
          and change of context.

          Take, for example, Eugenie Scrase's 'Trunkated Trunk', which is the
          remains of a treetrunk and the metal fence it fell on. This artwork,
          the winning piece of the recent School of Saatchi reality TV show, is
          the result of seeing the thing itself, imagining it in the context of
          art rather than mundane physical object or event, and finally
          actually taking it from the original location and presenting it in
          its new context.

          Although it is fun to argue the toss of what makes art 'art', and
          also the perceived value difference between 'found' art and year-long
          painting or sculpting efforts, this was clearly the best piece of the
          whole show.

          BBC news article:
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/8412705.stm

          Insightful comment responding to a slightly bitchy blog post:
          http://coxsoft.blogspot.com/2009/12/trunk-wins-saatchi.html#c6305851199802655674

          -

          Anyway, I found the GSV-sourced artwork to be interesting and
          provocative. Selecting images and presenting them out of context in
          this way, not to mention using them to provoke debate, is a worthy
          effort. What's interesting, as well, is how this underlines the need
          to consider the artist as someone not necessarily involved in the
          original creation of the source image.

          This also raises interesting questions about copyright - but whatever
          the result of *that* debate, it doesn't change the fact that Rafman
          applied some creative thinking, selection and context-changing ideas
          in a way that, I feel, qualifies as art. Much like Marcel Duchamp did
          with his 'fountain'
          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_%28Duchamp%29) in 1917,
          although I don't mean to drawn any kind of qualitative comparison.

          Whether you *like* what Rafman has done or not is a separate issue;
          that is a totally individual subjective thing. And whether the
          GSV-sourced work is *great* (or even good) art is yet another
          question, of course, and one I'm not about to jump into! But, again,
          I don't feel that it is *not* art.

        • Wim Koornneef
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
            Hello Keith,

            You made your point ;-) and you are right, it is impossible to discuss if
            something is art or not because Art is in the mind of the beholder.

            I found the words that described the use of GSV for art funny and over the
            top. When I read this kind of text (this author isn't unique for doing so) I
            always have the feeling that those people are using there well choosen
            combination of words to pimp there products up to a "higher level".
            Making people accept this is for me real Art :-)

            Wim

            Keith Martin-2 wrote:

            > ....I don't feel that it is *not* art.....

          • Keith Martin
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
              Sometime around 2/1/10 (at 04:32 -0800) Wim Koornneef said:

              >well choosen
              >combination of words to pimp there products up to a "higher level".

              Yes, there is definitely a lot of "pimp my art" going on in this
              industry. Sometimes the descriptions really *are* the most creative
              thing. :-)

            • luca vascon
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
                montreal based artist jon rafman has been working on a series of
                photographic pieces that use images
                sourced from google�s street view map system. afman has selected odd and
                intriguing still frames
                captured by the car-mounted cameras google uses to take images of cities
                with. each work is mounted
                and blown up to larger scale for the final presentation. rafman isn�t the
                original photographer but instead
                searches through google street views, taking screenshots of images. he
                explains, �the world captured by
                ----

                >well choosen
                > >combination of words to pimp there products up to a "higher level".

                I reject New Topography
                Please, go and watch Wim Veinders'movie Lisbon Story once again.
                And two times the worlds by Manoel de Oliveira. at the end of the movie.
                My friend Lewis Baltz, however would find it "interesting". Let's ask him...