Re: oh God they're using GSV already :-(

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
      Well, it's only natural.
      Someone had to do it.
      No envy, guys.
      We always can go out and take our own pictures ;)

      Jürgen

      > Ge
      > read this about
      > a photo exposition using scenes and parts from GSV scenes:
      >
      > <
      > http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/10/view/8402/jon-rafman-google-street-views.html
      > >

      > [ ]s
      > AYRTON
      >

      > ------------
      > | A Y R |
      > | T O N |

    • Wim Koornneef
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
        I like the description of the author on the website:

        ‘the world captured by
        google appears to be more truthful and more transparent because of the
        weight accorded to external
        reality, the perception of a neutral, unbiased recording, and even the
        vastness of the project’

        IMO, only the words above are real art ;-)

        Wim

        AYRTON - avi wrote:

        > Ge
        > read this about
        > a photo exposition using scenes and parts from GSV scenes:
        >
        > <
        > http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/10/view/8402/jon-rafman-google-street-views.html
        >>

        > [ ]s
        > AYRTON
        >

        > ------------
        > | A Y R |
        > | T O N |

      • Greg Nuspel
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
          I guess he should be called the Accidental Artist.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
            Sometime around 2/1/10 (at 01:06 -0800) Wim Koornneef said:

            >IMO, only the words above are real art ;-)

            I'll add my tuppence if that's ok, as this is an area that's not
            disconnected with what I do in my day job. ;-)

            Part of what can turn something into art is the conscious selection
            and change of context.

            Take, for example, Eugenie Scrase's 'Trunkated Trunk', which is the
            remains of a treetrunk and the metal fence it fell on. This artwork,
            the winning piece of the recent School of Saatchi reality TV show, is
            the result of seeing the thing itself, imagining it in the context of
            art rather than mundane physical object or event, and finally
            actually taking it from the original location and presenting it in
            its new context.

            Although it is fun to argue the toss of what makes art 'art', and
            also the perceived value difference between 'found' art and year-long
            painting or sculpting efforts, this was clearly the best piece of the
            whole show.

            BBC news article:
            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/8412705.stm

            Insightful comment responding to a slightly bitchy blog post:
            http://coxsoft.blogspot.com/2009/12/trunk-wins-saatchi.html#c6305851199802655674

            -

            Anyway, I found the GSV-sourced artwork to be interesting and
            provocative. Selecting images and presenting them out of context in
            this way, not to mention using them to provoke debate, is a worthy
            effort. What's interesting, as well, is how this underlines the need
            to consider the artist as someone not necessarily involved in the
            original creation of the source image.

            This also raises interesting questions about copyright - but whatever
            the result of *that* debate, it doesn't change the fact that Rafman
            applied some creative thinking, selection and context-changing ideas
            in a way that, I feel, qualifies as art. Much like Marcel Duchamp did
            with his 'fountain'
            (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_%28Duchamp%29) in 1917,
            although I don't mean to drawn any kind of qualitative comparison.

            Whether you *like* what Rafman has done or not is a separate issue;
            that is a totally individual subjective thing. And whether the
            GSV-sourced work is *great* (or even good) art is yet another
            question, of course, and one I'm not about to jump into! But, again,
            I don't feel that it is *not* art.

          • Wim Koornneef
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
              Hello Keith,

              You made your point ;-) and you are right, it is impossible to discuss if
              something is art or not because Art is in the mind of the beholder.

              I found the words that described the use of GSV for art funny and over the
              top. When I read this kind of text (this author isn't unique for doing so) I
              always have the feeling that those people are using there well choosen
              combination of words to pimp there products up to a "higher level".
              Making people accept this is for me real Art :-)

              Wim

              Keith Martin-2 wrote:

              > ....I don't feel that it is *not* art.....

            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
                Sometime around 2/1/10 (at 04:32 -0800) Wim Koornneef said:

                >well choosen
                >combination of words to pimp there products up to a "higher level".

                Yes, there is definitely a lot of "pimp my art" going on in this
                industry. Sometimes the descriptions really *are* the most creative
                thing. :-)

              • luca vascon
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
                  montreal based artist jon rafman has been working on a series of
                  photographic pieces that use images
                  sourced from google�s street view map system. afman has selected odd and
                  intriguing still frames
                  captured by the car-mounted cameras google uses to take images of cities
                  with. each work is mounted
                  and blown up to larger scale for the final presentation. rafman isn�t the
                  original photographer but instead
                  searches through google street views, taking screenshots of images. he
                  explains, �the world captured by
                  ----

                  >well choosen
                  > >combination of words to pimp there products up to a "higher level".

                  I reject New Topography
                  Please, go and watch Wim Veinders'movie Lisbon Story once again.
                  And two times the worlds by Manoel de Oliveira. at the end of the movie.
                  My friend Lewis Baltz, however would find it "interesting". Let's ask him...