oh God they're using GSV already :-(

  • AYRTON
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2010
      Ge
      read this about
      a photo exposition using scenes and parts from GSV scenes:

      <
      http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/10/view/8402/jon-rafman-google-street-views.html

      [ ]s
      AYRTON

      ------------
      | A Y R |
      | T O N |
    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2010
        On 1/1/2010 10:51 PM, AYRTON's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
        typed ...:
        > Ge
        > read this about
        > a photo exposition using scenes and parts from GSV scenes:
        >
        > <
        > http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/10/view/8402/jon-rafman-google-street-views.html

        Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.................

        > [ ]s
        > AYRTON
        >

        > ------------
        > | A Y R |
        > | T O N |
        > ------------
        > + 55 21 9982 6313
        > http://ayrton360.com
        > follow-me : twitter.com/ayrton360

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • jrgen_schrader
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
          Well, it's only natural.
          Someone had to do it.
          No envy, guys.
          We always can go out and take our own pictures ;)

          Jürgen

          > Ge
          > read this about
          > a photo exposition using scenes and parts from GSV scenes:
          >
          > <
          > http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/10/view/8402/jon-rafman-google-street-views.html
          > >

          > [ ]s
          > AYRTON
          >

          > ------------
          > | A Y R |
          > | T O N |

        • Wim Koornneef
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
            I like the description of the author on the website:

            ‘the world captured by
            google appears to be more truthful and more transparent because of the
            weight accorded to external
            reality, the perception of a neutral, unbiased recording, and even the
            vastness of the project’

            IMO, only the words above are real art ;-)

            Wim

            AYRTON - avi wrote:

            > Ge
            > read this about
            > a photo exposition using scenes and parts from GSV scenes:
            >
            > <
            > http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/10/view/8402/jon-rafman-google-street-views.html
            >>

            > [ ]s
            > AYRTON
            >

            > ------------
            > | A Y R |
            > | T O N |

          • Greg Nuspel
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
              I guess he should be called the Accidental Artist.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
                Sometime around 2/1/10 (at 01:06 -0800) Wim Koornneef said:

                >IMO, only the words above are real art ;-)

                I'll add my tuppence if that's ok, as this is an area that's not
                disconnected with what I do in my day job. ;-)

                Part of what can turn something into art is the conscious selection
                and change of context.

                Take, for example, Eugenie Scrase's 'Trunkated Trunk', which is the
                remains of a treetrunk and the metal fence it fell on. This artwork,
                the winning piece of the recent School of Saatchi reality TV show, is
                the result of seeing the thing itself, imagining it in the context of
                art rather than mundane physical object or event, and finally
                actually taking it from the original location and presenting it in
                its new context.

                Although it is fun to argue the toss of what makes art 'art', and
                also the perceived value difference between 'found' art and year-long
                painting or sculpting efforts, this was clearly the best piece of the
                whole show.

                BBC news article:
                http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/8412705.stm

                Insightful comment responding to a slightly bitchy blog post:
                http://coxsoft.blogspot.com/2009/12/trunk-wins-saatchi.html#c6305851199802655674

                -

                Anyway, I found the GSV-sourced artwork to be interesting and
                provocative. Selecting images and presenting them out of context in
                this way, not to mention using them to provoke debate, is a worthy
                effort. What's interesting, as well, is how this underlines the need
                to consider the artist as someone not necessarily involved in the
                original creation of the source image.

                This also raises interesting questions about copyright - but whatever
                the result of *that* debate, it doesn't change the fact that Rafman
                applied some creative thinking, selection and context-changing ideas
                in a way that, I feel, qualifies as art. Much like Marcel Duchamp did
                with his 'fountain'
                (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_%28Duchamp%29) in 1917,
                although I don't mean to drawn any kind of qualitative comparison.

                Whether you *like* what Rafman has done or not is a separate issue;
                that is a totally individual subjective thing. And whether the
                GSV-sourced work is *great* (or even good) art is yet another
                question, of course, and one I'm not about to jump into! But, again,
                I don't feel that it is *not* art.

              • Wim Koornneef
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
                  Hello Keith,

                  You made your point ;-) and you are right, it is impossible to discuss if
                  something is art or not because Art is in the mind of the beholder.

                  I found the words that described the use of GSV for art funny and over the
                  top. When I read this kind of text (this author isn't unique for doing so) I
                  always have the feeling that those people are using there well choosen
                  combination of words to pimp there products up to a "higher level".
                  Making people accept this is for me real Art :-)

                  Wim

                  Keith Martin-2 wrote:

                  > ....I don't feel that it is *not* art.....

                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
                    Sometime around 2/1/10 (at 04:32 -0800) Wim Koornneef said:

                    >well choosen
                    >combination of words to pimp there products up to a "higher level".

                    Yes, there is definitely a lot of "pimp my art" going on in this
                    industry. Sometimes the descriptions really *are* the most creative
                    thing. :-)

                  • luca vascon
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
                      montreal based artist jon rafman has been working on a series of
                      photographic pieces that use images
                      sourced from google�s street view map system. afman has selected odd and
                      intriguing still frames
                      captured by the car-mounted cameras google uses to take images of cities
                      with. each work is mounted
                      and blown up to larger scale for the final presentation. rafman isn�t the
                      original photographer but instead
                      searches through google street views, taking screenshots of images. he
                      explains, �the world captured by
                      ----

                      >well choosen
                      > >combination of words to pimp there products up to a "higher level".

                      I reject New Topography
                      Please, go and watch Wim Veinders'movie Lisbon Story once again.
                      And two times the worlds by Manoel de Oliveira. at the end of the movie.
                      My friend Lewis Baltz, however would find it "interesting". Let's ask him...