Re: Samyang lens and PTGui

  • panostar
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31 11:34 PM
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

      > Somehow this program doesn't read correct focal length from EXIF?

      There's no electrical connection between the camera and lens, so the camera is unable to set up any lens data in the EXIF. See:

      > When I play with lens parameters I can obtain good results. Is
      > there something I can do to prevent it from happening and save
      > sometime processing.

      Use a template or save the lens parameters in the lens database.

      > How do I zoom in PTGui"

      In what context?

      John

    • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
        Hi Rob,

        You're good at asking questions, which is GREAT. However you need to be
        equally good at following the resulting advice you get from people.

        So, here is the answer: RTFM :-) Read the PTGui documentation!!!! it is
        extremely well-written and will answer many more questions than you have at
        this point. If you DON'T read the PTGui documentation, you're wasting lots
        of people's time asking questions that have already been answered for you.

        Have fun, and happy new year. And when will you post some of your panos for
        us to see?

        Samyang lens and
        PTGui<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/36228;_ylc=X3oDMTJzYml0ZTBlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMzNjIyOARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjYyMzUwNjE2>
        Posted
        by: "RobLee" roblee007@...
        <roblee007@...?Subject=+Re%3ASamyang%20lens%20and%20PTGui>
        roblee007 <http://profiles.yahoo.com/roblee007> Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:30 pm
        (PST)

        Somehow this program doesn't read correct focal length from EXIF? When I
        play with lens parameters I can obtain good results. Is there something I
        can do to prevent it from happening and save sometime processing.
        How do I zoom in PTGui"
        Thank you all and have a happy 2010.

        RobLee

        Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

      • Abraham Kielcz
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
          Let say, when you aligned images and want check if alignment is good

          Abraham Kielcz

          Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

          http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ PanoToolsNG/ message/35841

          > When I play with lens parameters I can obtain good results. Is

          > there something I can do to prevent it from happening and save

          > sometime processing.

          Use a template or save the lens parameters in the lens database.

          > How do I zoom in PTGui"

          In what context?

          John

          http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ PanoToolsNG/ message/35841

        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
            Quoting Abraham Kielcz <roblee007@...>:

            > Let say, when you aligned images and want check if alignment is good
            you can't as far as I know zoom in on the panorama editor. you should rely on
            the control point distance but you can generally see if something is off unless
            you are using an itsy bitsy teeny weeny monitor.
            mick

          • Paulo Fernandes
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
              Or you can use the preview tab for a quick render, it isn't the best
              way but it should give you an idea if something is completly off.

              But you should learn to use the optimizer results as a indication if
              something is wrong, aim for a distance at least bellow 10px.

              Com os melhores cumprimentos,

              Paulo Fernandes
              Multimedia

              Enviado desde o meu telemóvel.
              Sent from my mobile phone.
              ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
              Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia
              e Multimédia
              Calçada do Lidador, 22, 1ºAndar
              4480-690 Vila do Conde Portugal
              Tel. +351 252 119 375
              Fax. +351 252 119 375
              ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

              No dia 2010/01/01, às 16:21, crane@... escreveu:

              > Quoting Abraham Kielcz <roblee007@...>:
              >
              > > Let say, when you aligned images and want check if alignment is good
              > you can't as far as I know zoom in on the panorama editor. you
              > should rely on
              > the control point distance but you can generally see if something is
              > off unless
              > you are using an itsy bitsy teeny weeny monitor.
              > mick

            • Ken Warner
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                Or you could make a preview image and zoom in the viewer.....

                crane@... wrote:
                > Quoting Abraham Kielcz <roblee007@...>:
                >
                >> Let say, when you aligned images and want check if alignment is good
                > you can't as far as I know zoom in on the panorama editor. you should rely on
                > the control point distance but you can generally see if something is off unless
                > you are using an itsy bitsy teeny weeny monitor.
                > mick

              • Uri Cogan
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                  On 1/1/10 7:41 AM, Abraham Kielcz wrote:

                  > Let say, when you aligned images and want check if alignment is good

                  Look at the Control Points Table, it will let you know. You can erase
                  the worst offenders, place new control points if necessary, and run the
                  Optimizer again until it will report "Good" or "Very Good".

                  Use the Preview function in PTGui. Set the preview width to something
                  like 3000 pixels and you will get a slow, but fairly high resolution
                  preview of your panorama.

                  You can also let PTGui do its job and output the final equirectangular
                  pano that you can feed back to PTGui Pro (Tools/Convert to QTVR/cubic)
                  and quickly create a QTVR panorama at the resolution that you specified.

                  And as Jeffrey wrote earlier:

                  RTFM :-) Read the PTGui documentation!!!! it is extremely well-written
                  and will answer many more questions than you have at this point.

                  Also:

                  1. Go to Google.com
                  2. Enter the search term "PTGui Tutorial"
                  3. Go explore!

                  Happy New Year!
                  --

                  Uri Cogan
                  http://www.uricogan.com

                  *** My Karma Ran Over My Dogma ***

                • panostar
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:

                    > you can't as far as I know zoom in on the panorama editor.

                    No, you can't. You can just drag the window out to fill the screen and make the angle of view smaller. But the alignment and blending are only approximate. Short cuts are made in the processing so as to refresh the screen as quickly as possible. Zooming in would not really gain you much.

                    John
                  • John Riley
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                      On Jan 1, 2010, at 8:05 AM, Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net wrote:

                      > Hi Rob,
                      >
                      > You're good at asking questions, which is GREAT. However you need to be
                      > equally good at following the resulting advice you get from people.
                      >
                      > So, here is the answer: RTFM :-) Read the PTGui documentation!!!! it is
                      > extremely well-written and will answer many more questions than you have at
                      > this point. If you DON'T read the PTGui documentation, you're wasting lots
                      > of people's time asking questions that have already been answered for you.

                      Eric S. Raymond, one of the leading people in the open-source/hacker community, has a great essay titled "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". It could be very useful for anyone who has lots of questions 8-) Find it at:

                      I wish it existed back when I was a mere youngling in grad school. I remember having many questions I wanted to ask the computer jockeys/hackers. After about two simple questions, they would just point to the shelves of manuals and say RTFM - and not using the acronym, LOL! I guess it shows my age that there were many shelves filled with impenetrable paper manuals on all things computerese.

                      Enjoy,

                      John

                      John Riley
                      johnriley@...