Samyang lens and PTGui

  • RobLee
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2009
      Somehow this program doesn't read correct focal length from EXIF? When I play with lens parameters I can obtain good results. Is there something I can do to prevent it from happening and save sometime processing.
      How do I zoom in PTGui"
      Thank you all and have a happy 2010.

      RobLee

      Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

    • panostar
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 31, 2009
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

        > Somehow this program doesn't read correct focal length from EXIF?

        There's no electrical connection between the camera and lens, so the camera is unable to set up any lens data in the EXIF. See:

        > When I play with lens parameters I can obtain good results. Is
        > there something I can do to prevent it from happening and save
        > sometime processing.

        Use a template or save the lens parameters in the lens database.

        > How do I zoom in PTGui"

        In what context?

        John

      • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
          Hi Rob,

          You're good at asking questions, which is GREAT. However you need to be
          equally good at following the resulting advice you get from people.

          So, here is the answer: RTFM :-) Read the PTGui documentation!!!! it is
          extremely well-written and will answer many more questions than you have at
          this point. If you DON'T read the PTGui documentation, you're wasting lots
          of people's time asking questions that have already been answered for you.

          Have fun, and happy new year. And when will you post some of your panos for
          us to see?

          Samyang lens and
          PTGui<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/36228;_ylc=X3oDMTJzYml0ZTBlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMzNjIyOARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjYyMzUwNjE2>
          Posted
          by: "RobLee" roblee007@...
          <roblee007@...?Subject=+Re%3ASamyang%20lens%20and%20PTGui>
          roblee007 <http://profiles.yahoo.com/roblee007> Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:30 pm
          (PST)

          Somehow this program doesn't read correct focal length from EXIF? When I
          play with lens parameters I can obtain good results. Is there something I
          can do to prevent it from happening and save sometime processing.
          How do I zoom in PTGui"
          Thank you all and have a happy 2010.

          RobLee

          Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

        • Abraham Kielcz
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
            Let say, when you aligned images and want check if alignment is good

            Abraham Kielcz

            Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

            http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ PanoToolsNG/ message/35841

            > When I play with lens parameters I can obtain good results. Is

            > there something I can do to prevent it from happening and save

            > sometime processing.

            Use a template or save the lens parameters in the lens database.

            > How do I zoom in PTGui"

            In what context?

            John

            http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ PanoToolsNG/ message/35841

          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
              Quoting Abraham Kielcz <roblee007@...>:

              > Let say, when you aligned images and want check if alignment is good
              you can't as far as I know zoom in on the panorama editor. you should rely on
              the control point distance but you can generally see if something is off unless
              you are using an itsy bitsy teeny weeny monitor.
              mick

            • Paulo Fernandes
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                Or you can use the preview tab for a quick render, it isn't the best
                way but it should give you an idea if something is completly off.

                But you should learn to use the optimizer results as a indication if
                something is wrong, aim for a distance at least bellow 10px.

                Com os melhores cumprimentos,

                Paulo Fernandes
                Multimedia

                Enviado desde o meu telemóvel.
                Sent from my mobile phone.
                ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia
                e Multimédia
                Calçada do Lidador, 22, 1ºAndar
                4480-690 Vila do Conde Portugal
                Tel. +351 252 119 375
                Fax. +351 252 119 375
                ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

                No dia 2010/01/01, às 16:21, crane@... escreveu:

                > Quoting Abraham Kielcz <roblee007@...>:
                >
                > > Let say, when you aligned images and want check if alignment is good
                > you can't as far as I know zoom in on the panorama editor. you
                > should rely on
                > the control point distance but you can generally see if something is
                > off unless
                > you are using an itsy bitsy teeny weeny monitor.
                > mick

              • Ken Warner
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                  Or you could make a preview image and zoom in the viewer.....

                  crane@... wrote:
                  > Quoting Abraham Kielcz <roblee007@...>:
                  >
                  >> Let say, when you aligned images and want check if alignment is good
                  > you can't as far as I know zoom in on the panorama editor. you should rely on
                  > the control point distance but you can generally see if something is off unless
                  > you are using an itsy bitsy teeny weeny monitor.
                  > mick

                • Uri Cogan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                    On 1/1/10 7:41 AM, Abraham Kielcz wrote:

                    > Let say, when you aligned images and want check if alignment is good

                    Look at the Control Points Table, it will let you know. You can erase
                    the worst offenders, place new control points if necessary, and run the
                    Optimizer again until it will report "Good" or "Very Good".

                    Use the Preview function in PTGui. Set the preview width to something
                    like 3000 pixels and you will get a slow, but fairly high resolution
                    preview of your panorama.

                    You can also let PTGui do its job and output the final equirectangular
                    pano that you can feed back to PTGui Pro (Tools/Convert to QTVR/cubic)
                    and quickly create a QTVR panorama at the resolution that you specified.

                    And as Jeffrey wrote earlier:

                    RTFM :-) Read the PTGui documentation!!!! it is extremely well-written
                    and will answer many more questions than you have at this point.

                    Also:

                    1. Go to Google.com
                    2. Enter the search term "PTGui Tutorial"
                    3. Go explore!

                    Happy New Year!
                    --

                    Uri Cogan
                    http://www.uricogan.com

                    *** My Karma Ran Over My Dogma ***

                  • panostar
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:

                      > you can't as far as I know zoom in on the panorama editor.

                      No, you can't. You can just drag the window out to fill the screen and make the angle of view smaller. But the alignment and blending are only approximate. Short cuts are made in the processing so as to refresh the screen as quickly as possible. Zooming in would not really gain you much.

                      John
                    • John Riley
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                        On Jan 1, 2010, at 8:05 AM, Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net wrote:

                        > Hi Rob,
                        >
                        > You're good at asking questions, which is GREAT. However you need to be
                        > equally good at following the resulting advice you get from people.
                        >
                        > So, here is the answer: RTFM :-) Read the PTGui documentation!!!! it is
                        > extremely well-written and will answer many more questions than you have at
                        > this point. If you DON'T read the PTGui documentation, you're wasting lots
                        > of people's time asking questions that have already been answered for you.

                        Eric S. Raymond, one of the leading people in the open-source/hacker community, has a great essay titled "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". It could be very useful for anyone who has lots of questions 8-) Find it at:

                        I wish it existed back when I was a mere youngling in grad school. I remember having many questions I wanted to ask the computer jockeys/hackers. After about two simple questions, they would just point to the shelves of manuals and say RTFM - and not using the acronym, LOL! I guess it shows my age that there were many shelves filled with impenetrable paper manuals on all things computerese.

                        Enjoy,

                        John

                        John Riley
                        johnriley@...