Re:Announcement: PTStitcherNG03b

  • Roberto Gómez Torres
    Message 1 of 93 , Dec 30, 2009
      Hello Helmut,

      Here Roberto Gomez from Mexico City.
      First let me thank you so much this new release and all your efforts (past
      and present) for this panoramic community.
      I really appreciated it.

      Well, I downloaded the PTStitcherNG app and want to share with you and the
      list my findings.
      Here are the specs of my Windows PC System:

      Processor: Intel Core i7 920 running at 2.8GHz ( can be over clocked to
      4.2GHz ).
      RAM: 6 GB of DDR3
      OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
      Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 285

      With this setup (not over clocked ) I was able to test PTStitcherNG and
      PTStitcherNG_Cuda with the project included on your distribution file.

      PTStitcherNG.exe
      ===========

      Trying to run the stitcher with the following command line:
      PTStitcherNG.exe -o output.tif project.txt

      Running PTStitcherNG.exe most of the time shows the following error:

      PTStitcherNG.exe has stopped working
      A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
      Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

      Strange is that a few time the command line runs all the way and finished
      the task.
      On my system when it finished, it reports a total processing time of
      2.480404s.

      In order to run PTStitcherNG.exe without the error message I tried to run
      the program in compatibility mode.
      Running PTStitcherNG.exe as administrator does not makes any difference.

      On Windows 7 you can run an executable in the following compatibility modes:

      Windows 95
      Windows 98 / Windows Me
      Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)
      Windows 2000
      Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
      Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
      Windows Server 20003 (Service Pack 1)
      Windows Vista
      Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
      Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)

      On my system all the compatibility modes shown the same behavior ( error
      message most of the times and a few times finished the task without error )
      except Windows 95 and Windows 98 / Windows Me modes. On those PTStitcherNG
      always runs fine without a problem (sans not using all the resources of my
      system like all memory available and not all the multiprocessing installed
      on the CPU).

      So we can run PTStitcherNG in a reliable manner using Windows 95 and Windows
      98 / Windows Me compatibility mode.
      Using this modes my system reports a total processing time of 5.959210s (
      more than double the time ).

      PTStitcherNG_cuda.exe
      ===============

      In order to run and test PTStitcherNG_cuda first I had to download to files
      from the nVidia web site.
      For my system first the Cuda Driver:
      cudadriver_2.3_winvista_64_190.38_general.exe (138 MB).
      And later you have to download the CUDA Toolkit: cudatoolkit_2.3_win_64.exe
      and not the CUDA SDK code samples as you pointed on your documentation.

      From the CUDA Toolkit all that is needed is the file cudart.dll located on
      the 32 bit folder, not the 64 bit one since PTStitcherNG_cuda.exe is a 32
      bit application.

      Once I copied the cudart.dll into the PTStitcherNG_cuda folder I was ready
      to test the following command line:
      PTStitcherNG_cuda.exe -o output.tif project.txt

      Same problem as with PTStitcherNG.exe.
      It shows compatibility mode errors, but since the process will be run at the
      graphics card hardware, it does not matter since the running time will be
      the same no matter which mode is used.

      Without error message was successfully on Windows 95 and Windows 98 /
      Windows Me compatibility modes.
      Using this modes my system reports a total CUDA processing time of
      2.433604s.

      Hope this report could be of help.
      Best regards from Mexico City.

      And a happy new year for all of us.