Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Plugins for Defishing

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 30, 2009
      Thanks, John. Maybe these have improved since I tried them a few
      years ago? I found them quite confusing to use and would not
      recommend them to my friend, who just wants a quick and simple
      way to convert equiangular to rectilinear.

      Roger W.

      On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 23:02:59 +0900, panostar <j.houghton@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> A photographer friend has borrowed my Zenitar full-frame fisheye
      >> lens with M42 mount for his new Pentax K-7 camera. ...
      >>
      >> Can someone please recommend a plugin that will help him to do
      >> the necessary de-fishing?
      >
      > Roger, He could use the Panorama Tools plugins.
      >
      > John

      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
    • Eduardo Hutter
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 30, 2009
        PTLens? http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

        * Roger D. Williams wrote, On 30/12/2009 6:06 AM:
        > Can someone please recommend a plugin that will help him to do
        > the necessary de-fishing?
      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 30, 2009
          Hans, this movie doesn't deal with fisheye distortion, i.e., the extreme
          barrel distortion that makes straight lines curve unless they pass
          through the center of the image.

          So it looks as if he needs a plugin after all...

          Roger

          On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 01:15:56 +0900, Roger D. Williams
          <roger@...> wrote,
          quoting Hans:

          --
          Business: www.adex-japan.com
          Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
        • Hans
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 31, 2009

            > Hans, this movie doesn't deal with fisheye distortion, i.e., the extreme
            > barrel distortion that makes straight lines curve unless they pass
            > through the center of the image.
            >
            > So it looks as if he needs a plugin after all...

            Roger

            A 16mm fisheye on an APS camera does not give much distortion.
            It should easy be handled by any distortion tool like Photoshop standard filter.

            But if he needs some easy free tool to do it with why not use HUGIN.
            He just need to make a template for it once. 1 for landscape and one for portrait probably.

            Hans

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 31, 2009
              Thanks, Hans, but he tried and liked PTLens. He gets 10 free images
              processed and the cost is reasonable if he likes and decides to buy
              it (and also likes my Zenitar). I just saw his first result and the
              image quality is really excellent.

              Roger W.

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 31, 2009

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hans, this movie doesn't deal with fisheye distortion, i.e., the extreme
                > > barrel distortion that makes straight lines curve unless they pass
                > > through the center of the image.
                > >
                > > So it looks as if he needs a plugin after all...
                >
                > Roger
                >
                > A 16mm fisheye on an APS camera does not give much distortion.
                > It should easy be handled by any distortion tool like Photoshop standard filter.
                >
                > But if he needs some easy free tool to do it with why not use HUGIN.
                > He just need to make a template for it once. 1 for landscape and one for portrait >probably.

                I had a look at the distortion tool in my Photoshop and I have to say it is to simple even for standard rectilinear. There is only one slider which means you can only correct if there is an even distortion. Most wideangles including fisheyes needs to have a special slider for the corners also. corresponding to the a and b settings in PTGui.

                There is no problem with the amount of distortion a 16mm APS cropped fisheye has but correcting the outer parts will give you to much in the center.

                PTGui or Hugin is the best for this.

                Hans
              • Uri Cogan
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 31, 2009
                  defish is a good, free stand-alone app for the Mac.

                  Download from: *http://tinyurl.com/yacjl29*

                  --

                  Uri Cogan
                  http://www.uricogan.com

                  *** My Karma Ran Over My Dogma ***

                • Roger D. Williams
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 31, 2009
                    Thank you, Uri. My friend is a MAC user, so this is good for him.

                    Roger W.