stitching focus bracketed images

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2009
      It's obvious that the main barrier to producing images any larger than about
      20 gigapixels with any decent depth of field, is to use focus bracketing.

      please comment on my post, if you have any thoughts about it :)

      http://blog.360cities.net/focus-bracketing-and-stitching/

      I really am at a loss. and while I love experiments, I don't see the need to
      spend time on something if someone has the answer already :-)

      thanks!
      Jeffrey

    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2009
        Hi Jeffrey,

        I think what you want is a Magic Lantern and a Canon 5D MkII. :o)

        http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Focus

        This is why I bought the 5D MkII, but I haven't had a chance to test the
        focus stacking.

        Mark
        www.pinnacle-vr.com
        www.northernlight.net

      • bohonus
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 2009
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...> wrote:

          > It's obvious that the main barrier to producing images any larger than about
          > 20 gigapixels with any decent depth of field, is to use focus bracketing.
          >
          > please comment on my post, if you have any thoughts about it :)
          >
          > http://blog.360cities.net/focus-bracketing-and-stitching/
          >
          > I really am at a loss. and while I love experiments, I don't see the need to
          > spend time on something if someone has the answer already :-)
          >
          > thanks!
          > Jeffrey

          For Nikon & Canon. Download the free demo-

          http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconremote.html
        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 30, 2009
            Quoting "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...>:

            > It's obvious that the main barrier to producing images any larger than about
            > 20 gigapixels with any decent depth of field, is to use focus bracketing.
            >
            > please comment on my post, if you have any thoughts about it :)

            panoramatools tho'
            regards

            mick

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 30, 2009
              Am 30.12.2009 15:21, schrieb Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net:
              > please comment on my post, if you have any thoughts about it:)
              >
              > http://blog.360cities.net/focus-bracketing-and-stitching/
              >
              > I really am at a loss. and while I love experiments, I don't see the need to
              > spend time on something if someone has the answer already:-)

              Well, you got the link to Magic Lantern already. Our focus stacking
              expert is Rik Littlefield:
              http://www.janrik.net/Indexes/PMForumStackingIndex1.html

              However, he specializes in macro photo stacking. Telephoto stacking
              might be different, since there you don't vary object distance but you
              change focusing. This results in a change in FoV, which you must take
              into account when aligning the images. Both PTGui and Hugin can do the
              job, Hugin even has an automatic tool "align_image_stack". But if you
              need to stack a lot of images all shot at the same focus settings you'll
              probably be better off if you use a batch tool.

              Once the images are aligned, you can use enfuse or tufuse to focus
              bracket them but of course one of the commercial programs would do as
              well. Tufuse would determine which images are for focus and which for
              exposure bracketing and do both in one go.