Day #1 with Samyang 8mm and 5DMkII

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2009
      After reading the review of Michel Thoby and more after examining his examples I had to order one of these to see it with my own eyes. It arrived yesterday and so far I can confirm all of Michel's findings.

      Compared to the Nikon 10.5 the image quality of the Samyang is absolutely equal in the center and superior at the edges which is important for zenith and nadir areas and which is what finally made me jump onto it.

      With the settings for the LPP for 90 degrees I got a perfect stitch in PTGui with 4 and also just 3 around at a maximum size of app. 9,200 px; leaving an inelegant but for now neglectable coin-sized gap at zenith and nadir. I will see if I can get around this after a proper calibration of the lens. Maybe I also have to chamfer the rim of the sunshade which I didn't remove completely like Michel but trimmed it just to the edge of the barrel to leave something to stick the lenshood on.

      As the LPP for 90° is right at the edge of the glass the lens should be used with a ringmount or a panoramic rig with very narrow vertical arm. Mine is 5 cm and visible at the left edge of the frame but afaik with no negative effect on the final output.

      As Michel also found out the only drawback might be, that this baby is prone to flare. With a single lightsource one might get away with this, but I'd like to see how that turns out in a well lit show room :)

      Stay tuned.
      Jürgen
    • Paulo Fernandes
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2009
        Thanks for the info :)

        how much did you have to trim the lens hood? This appears to be a nice
        solution to avoid shaving it completely off.

        keep us posted please ;)

        Com os melhores cumprimentos,

        Paulo Fernandes
        Multimedia

        ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multim�dia
        Cal�ada do Lidador, 22, 1�Andar
        4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
        Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

        On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:39 PM, jrgen_schrader
        <panorama@...>wrote:

        > After reading the review of Michel Thoby and more after examining his
        > examples I had to order one of these to see it with my own eyes. It arrived
        > yesterday and so far I can confirm all of Michel's findings.
        >
        > Compared to the Nikon 10.5 the image quality of the Samyang is absolutely
        > equal in the center and superior at the edges which is important for zenith
        > and nadir areas and which is what finally made me jump onto it.
        >
        > With the settings for the LPP for 90 degrees I got a perfect stitch in
        > PTGui with 4 and also just 3 around at a maximum size of app. 9,200 px;
        > leaving an inelegant but for now neglectable coin-sized gap at zenith and
        > nadir. I will see if I can get around this after a proper calibration of the
        > lens. Maybe I also have to chamfer the rim of the sunshade which I didn't
        > remove completely like Michel but trimmed it just to the edge of the barrel
        > to leave something to stick the lenshood on.
        >
        > As the LPP for 90� is right at the edge of the glass the lens should be
        > used with a ringmount or a panoramic rig with very narrow vertical arm. Mine
        > is 5 cm and visible at the left edge of the frame but afaik with no negative
        > effect on the final output.
        >
        > As Michel also found out the only drawback might be, that this baby is
        > prone to flare. With a single lightsource one might get away with this, but
        > I'd like to see how that turns out in a well lit show room :)
        >
        > Stay tuned.
        > J�rgen

      • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2009
          Could you post some comparison example pictures?

          Please.

          Best Regards from the subtropical regions of M�xico

          --
          L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez C.
          felipe@...