Plugins for Defishing

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 30, 2009
      A photographer friend has borrowed my Zenitar full-frame fisheye
      lens with M42 mount for his new Pentax K-7 camera. He wants to
      be able to de-fish the images and he tells me he uses PhotoShop
      Elements to process his photos. He found a good adaptor that
      allows this lens to be used in full manual mode with stopped
      down metering.

      Can someone please recommend a plugin that will help him to do
      the necessary de-fishing?

      Thanks...

      Roger W.

      PS I will be interested to see how well the new dynamic-range
      enhancing features of this camera work. It has a lot of other
      advantages for panorama taking--light weight among them--and
      if these new features work as well as claimed they will reduce
      or maybe even in many cases eliminate the need for bracketing.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 30, 2009

        > A photographer friend has borrowed my Zenitar full-frame fisheye
        > lens with M42 mount for his new Pentax K-7 camera. He wants to
        > be able to de-fish the images and he tells me he uses PhotoShop
        > Elements to process his photos. He found a good adaptor that
        > allows this lens to be used in full manual mode with stopped
        > down metering.
        >
        > Can someone please recommend a plugin that will help him to do
        > the necessary de-fishing?

        I guess he can use the built in functions of Elements.
        Here is a video about it from PS Elememnts 5.0
        http://digg.com/u3Ive5

        > PS I will be interested to see how well the new dynamic-range
        > enhancing features of this camera work. It has a lot of other
        > advantages for panorama taking--light weight among them--and
        > if these new features work as well as claimed they will reduce
        > or maybe even in many cases eliminate the need for bracketing.

        Actually it is bracketing 3 images which are dynamically processed in camera.
        From what I can see it uses 3 images with zero and +-3 stops.
        You have to take them on tyripod of course just like any other bracketing.

        I have actually thought of buying one just to experimet with this even if I just got the 5DMark II.

        The K-x is very cheap and with a Samyang 8mm it would be the perfect camera for fast and easy shooting VR with HDR. Unfortunately this inside HDR is only for JPG but with the quality you get with noise in the same class as the best expensive DSL up to 1600 ISO it might still be a very useable camera.

        > Business: www.adex-japan.com
        > Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

      • panostar
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 30, 2009

          > A photographer friend has borrowed my Zenitar full-frame fisheye
          > lens with M42 mount for his new Pentax K-7 camera. ...
          >
          > Can someone please recommend a plugin that will help him to do
          > the necessary de-fishing?

          Roger, He could use the Panorama Tools plugins.

          John
        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 30, 2009
            Thank you for the PS Elements information. I have never used the
            program. He will be pleased to know this. I will interleave
            some other comments below.

            On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:48:51 +0900, Hans <hans@...> wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> A photographer friend has borrowed my Zenitar full-frame fisheye
            >> lens with M42 mount for his new Pentax K-7 camera. He wants to
            >> be able to de-fish the images and he tells me he uses PhotoShop
            >> Elements to process his photos. He found a good adaptor that
            >> allows this lens to be used in full manual mode with stopped
            >> down metering.
            >>
            >> Can someone please recommend a plugin that will help him to do
            >> the necessary de-fishing?
            >
            > I guess he can use the built in functions of Elements.
            > Here is a video about it from PS Elememnts 5.0
            > http://digg.com/u3Ive5
            >
            >> PS I will be interested to see how well the new dynamic-range
            >> enhancing features of this camera work. It has a lot of other
            >> advantages for panorama taking--light weight among them--and
            >> if these new features work as well as claimed they will reduce
            >> or maybe even in many cases eliminate the need for bracketing.
            >
            > Actually it is bracketing 3 images which are dynamically processed in
            > camera.
            > From what I can see it uses 3 images with zero and +-3 stops.
            > You have to take them on tyripod of course just like any other
            > bracketing.

            I was not referring to the actual HDR bracketing, which has only
            the virtue of convenience over ordinary bracketing, but to three
            additional functions, or rather two functions with one of them
            having two levels of effect. There are two settings for enhancing
            shadow detail, and another for suppressing highlights. The curves
            illustrating this look as if they might make a worthwhile
            difference. The HDR does not attempt to deal with ghosts, making
            it useful only for scenes either without people or with people
            who hold VERY STILL. <grin>

            > I have actually thought of buying one just to experimet with this even
            > if I just got the 5DMark II.
            >
            > The K-x is very cheap and with a Samyang 8mm it would be the perfect
            > camera for fast and easy shooting VR with HDR. Unfortunately this
            > inside HDR is only for JPG but with the quality you get with noise in
            > the same class as the best expensive DSL up to 1600 ISO it might still
            > be a very useable camera.

            The K-7 is a newer, more expensive version. And my friend was
            rather less than delighted with the noise at 1600 ISO, although
            he said it held up very well until an ISO equivalent of 800. He
            said that I should get a K-X!

            And the price, with a Samyang is, as you say, very attractive, and
            would make a lovely lightweight piece of equipment.

            Roger W.

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 30, 2009
              Thanks, John. Maybe these have improved since I tried them a few
              years ago? I found them quite confusing to use and would not
              recommend them to my friend, who just wants a quick and simple
              way to convert equiangular to rectilinear.

              Roger W.

              On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 23:02:59 +0900, panostar <j.houghton@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> A photographer friend has borrowed my Zenitar full-frame fisheye
              >> lens with M42 mount for his new Pentax K-7 camera. ...
              >>
              >> Can someone please recommend a plugin that will help him to do
              >> the necessary de-fishing?
              >
              > Roger, He could use the Panorama Tools plugins.
              >
              > John

              Business: www.adex-japan.com
              Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            • Eduardo Hutter
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 30, 2009
                PTLens? http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

                * Roger D. Williams wrote, On 30/12/2009 6:06 AM:
                > Can someone please recommend a plugin that will help him to do
                > the necessary de-fishing?
              • Roger D. Williams
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 30, 2009
                  Hans, this movie doesn't deal with fisheye distortion, i.e., the extreme
                  barrel distortion that makes straight lines curve unless they pass
                  through the center of the image.

                  So it looks as if he needs a plugin after all...

                  Roger

                  On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 01:15:56 +0900, Roger D. Williams
                  <roger@...> wrote,
                  quoting Hans:

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 31, 2009

                    > Hans, this movie doesn't deal with fisheye distortion, i.e., the extreme
                    > barrel distortion that makes straight lines curve unless they pass
                    > through the center of the image.
                    >
                    > So it looks as if he needs a plugin after all...

                    Roger

                    A 16mm fisheye on an APS camera does not give much distortion.
                    It should easy be handled by any distortion tool like Photoshop standard filter.

                    But if he needs some easy free tool to do it with why not use HUGIN.
                    He just need to make a template for it once. 1 for landscape and one for portrait probably.

                    Hans

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 31, 2009
                      Thanks, Hans, but he tried and liked PTLens. He gets 10 free images
                      processed and the cost is reasonable if he likes and decides to buy
                      it (and also likes my Zenitar). I just saw his first result and the
                      image quality is really excellent.

                      Roger W.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 31, 2009

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hans, this movie doesn't deal with fisheye distortion, i.e., the extreme
                        > > barrel distortion that makes straight lines curve unless they pass
                        > > through the center of the image.
                        > >
                        > > So it looks as if he needs a plugin after all...
                        >
                        > Roger
                        >
                        > A 16mm fisheye on an APS camera does not give much distortion.
                        > It should easy be handled by any distortion tool like Photoshop standard filter.
                        >
                        > But if he needs some easy free tool to do it with why not use HUGIN.
                        > He just need to make a template for it once. 1 for landscape and one for portrait >probably.

                        I had a look at the distortion tool in my Photoshop and I have to say it is to simple even for standard rectilinear. There is only one slider which means you can only correct if there is an even distortion. Most wideangles including fisheyes needs to have a special slider for the corners also. corresponding to the a and b settings in PTGui.

                        There is no problem with the amount of distortion a 16mm APS cropped fisheye has but correcting the outer parts will give you to much in the center.

                        PTGui or Hugin is the best for this.

                        Hans
                      • Uri Cogan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 31, 2009
                          defish is a good, free stand-alone app for the Mac.

                          Download from: *http://tinyurl.com/yacjl29*

                          --

                          Uri Cogan
                          http://www.uricogan.com

                          *** My Karma Ran Over My Dogma ***

                        • Roger D. Williams
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 31, 2009
                            Thank you, Uri. My friend is a MAC user, so this is good for him.

                            Roger W.