Samyang 8mm depth of field

  • RobLee
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 28, 2009
      My problem is that this lens doesn't have a proper scale to show DOF. How am I supposed to know DOF, if I set F stop to 8 and focus on the subject 1m away? What is the best setting for this lens to shoot panos?

      RobLee

      Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

    • Paulo Fernandes
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 28, 2009
        Hi Rob,

        hope you had a nice Christmas :)

        Quoting Michel Thoby (
        http://michel.thoby.free.fr/SAMYANG/Early%20test%20report.html)

        "Shooting with the distance of focus ring set at just a tiny bit below the
        "Infinity" mark is probably the best all around setting that can be. Closing
        the aperture ring to f/5.6 or f/8 and every thing should be as sharp as it
        can be!"

        So, set your focus to a bit before infinity, close the aperture to about
        f/5,6 or f/8, and forget about it :) (glue them in position or something).
        We're talking about a fish eye lens the depth of field is huge ;)

        And happy New Year...

        Com os melhores cumprimentos,

        Paulo Fernandes
        Multimedia

        ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multim�dia
        Cal�ada do Lidador, 22, 1�Andar
        4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
        Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

        On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 6:28 PM, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

        > My problem is that this lens doesn't have a proper scale to show DOF. How
        > am I supposed to know DOF, if I set F stop to 8 and focus on the subject 1m
        > away? What is the best setting for this lens to shoot panos?
        >
        > RobLee
        >
        > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

      • Ron Rack
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 28, 2009
          Hi Rob,
          The best way to know anything about any lens is pop it on your camera
          and shoot a few test shots with varied apertures and focus settings
          then examine the files in photoshop or equivalent at 100% to see what
          the best settings for your own situation is. Never trust any else's
          info until you have tested it with your own equipment.

          Merry Christmas,

          ron rack

          On Dec 28, 2009, at 1:28 PM, RobLee wrote:

          > My problem is that this lens doesn't have a proper scale to show
          > DOF. How am I supposed to know DOF, if I set F stop to 8 and focus
          > on the subject 1m away? What is the best setting for this lens to
          > shoot panos?
          >
          > RobLee
          >
          > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

        • RobLee
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 28, 2009
            Happy NEW YEAR!
            This lens is really surprisingly good for the money. I wanted a start point from someone who already has it.

            RobLee

            Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

            The best way to know anything about any lens is pop it on your camera
            and shoot a few test shots with varied apertures and focus settings
            then examine the files in photoshop  or equivalent at 100% to see what
            the best settings for your own situation is. Never trust any else's
            info until you have tested it with your own equipment.

            Merry Christmas,

            ron rack

            On Dec 28, 2009, at 1:28 PM, RobLee wrote:

            > My problem is that this lens doesn't have a proper scale to show
            > DOF. How am I supposed to know DOF, if I set F stop to 8 and focus
            > on the subject 1m away? What is the best setting for this lens to
            > shoot panos?
            >
            > RobLee
            >
            > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

            ------------------------------------

          • Paulo Fernandes
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 28, 2009
              We told you you would like the lens ;)

              I was also a little fearful when I bought mine, I never heard about Samyang,
              and the low price got me suspicious about the quality....

              Trust me, set it at f/8, focus to about halfway between 10ft (8m) and
              infinity and start shooting some panos :)

              Don't forget to show us your results....

              On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 7:53 PM, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

              > Happy NEW YEAR!
              > This lens is really surprisingly good for the money. I wanted a start point
              > from someone who already has it.
              >

              > RobLee
              >
              > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.
              >
              > --- On Mon, 12/28/09, Ron Rack <ronrack@... <ronrack%40mac.com>>
              > wrote:
              >
              > From: Ron Rack <ronrack@... <ronrack%40mac.com>>
              > Subject: Re: [PanoToolsNG] Samyang 8mm depth of field
              > To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
              > Date: Monday, December 28, 2009, 2:01 PM
              >

              > Hi Rob,
              > The best way to know anything about any lens is pop it on your camera
              > and shoot a few test shots with varied apertures and focus settings
              > then examine the files in photoshop or equivalent at 100% to see what
              > the best settings for your own situation is. Never trust any else's
              > info until you have tested it with your own equipment.
              >
              > Merry Christmas,
              >
              > ron rack
              >
              > On Dec 28, 2009, at 1:28 PM, RobLee wrote:
              >
              > > My problem is that this lens doesn't have a proper scale to show
              > > DOF. How am I supposed to know DOF, if I set F stop to 8 and focus
              > > on the subject 1m away? What is the best setting for this lens to
              > > shoot panos?
              > >
              > > RobLee
              > >
              > > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

            • Hans
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 28, 2009
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

                > Happy NEW YEAR!
                > This lens is really surprisingly good for the money. I wanted a start point from someone who already has it.

                Rob

                Focus scales are not very relyable with digital cameras and very short lenses.
                You can use the dofmaster as a beginning point.
                http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

                From that you can see that if you set the focus at 1m you will have depth of field from 0.5m to infinity even at full aperture 3.5

                Do some test shots and see if that it is the case and if it is you just put a large peace of ducktape to lock it and you never need to touch the focus again.

                Hans