Panorama people in Vancouver Island?

  • Daniel M. German
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
      Is there anybody in this list who resides in Vancouver Island?
      Canadian West Cost? Canadian Western Provinces?

      Given that it is very difficult for most of us to go to the Panotools
      meetings in Europe, we might want to organize one in this side of the world.

      --
      Daniel (in Victoria)

      --
      Daniel M. German "The only bad press is an obituary."
      Dennis Rodman
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
        Daniel M. German wrote:

        > Is there anybody in this list who resides in Vancouver Island?
        > Canadian West Cost? Canadian Western Provinces?
        >
        > Given that it is very difficult for most of us to go to the Panotools
        > meetings in Europe, we might want to organize one in this side of the world.
        >
        > --
        > Daniel (in Victoria)

        sorry Daniel, Canada is a big country and I'm closer to the other ocean. Never been west though and I am always looking for an excuse to travel :-)

        The Europeans have a Yahoo Group to organize their meetings at [Panotools-Meeting].

        We are trying to set up a meeting before the snow comes back somewhere between Toronto and Montreal, though some friends from the South have suggested locations on the Southern side of the border.

        I had great fun at the mini-meeting in Davos, Switzerland two months ago <www.dativ.at/davos2006/tour.html> as well as meeting other panoheads all over the place - Matthias Taugwalder in Zurich, Jean-Marc Paratte in Neuchatel, Andy Alpern in Safed during my last trip to Europe.

        Panomeetings are fun, and there should be more of them!

        Yuv
      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
          Daniel M. German wrote:

          > Is there anybody in this list who resides in Vancouver Island?
          > Canadian West Cost? Canadian Western Provinces?

          No, but Victoria or Vancouver or Seattle is a *lot* closer to LA than
          England is.

          > Given that it is very difficult for most of us to go to the Panotools
          > meetings in Europe, we might want to organize one in this side of the
          > world.

          Cool, PanoTools West! I'm in.

          > --
          > Daniel (in Victoria)

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large
        • Andrew G
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
            Hi Daniel,

            I'm moving to Vancouver next year, May or June 1st (depending which
            has the better weather!) Would love to attend a meeting if one is
            organised through out the year

            I'm driving across from Kingston, Ontario and will be taking a 360
            shot roughly every 200km to capture the scenery/terrain change. I'd
            like to do it evey 100 km but my wife would probably throw the camera
            out the window ;-)

            Andrew

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel M. German" <dmgerman@...>
            wrote:

            > Is there anybody in this list who resides in Vancouver Island?
            > Canadian West Cost? Canadian Western Provinces?
            >
            > Given that it is very difficult for most of us to go to the
            Panotools
            > meetings in Europe, we might want to organize one in this side of
            the world.

            > --
            > Daniel (in Victoria)
            >

            > --
            > Daniel M. German "The only bad press is an
            obituary."
            > Dennis Rodman
            > http://turingmachine.org/
            > http://silvernegative.com/
            > dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
            > replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .

          • James Scancella
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
              Daniel,
              I live in Seattle but I am in Victoria for work all the time, (I work
              on one of the ferries that services downtown Victoria). I would love
              to attend/meet other panographers in our area. Let me know when and
              where.
              Jim
            • dmgalpha
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew G"
                <conanthedestroya222@...> wrote:

                > Hi Daniel,
                >
                > I'm moving to Vancouver next year, May or June 1st (depending which
                > has the better weather!) Would love to attend a meeting if one is
                > organised through out the year
                >
                > I'm driving across from Kingston, Ontario and will be taking a 360
                > shot roughly every 200km to capture the scenery/terrain change. I'd
                > like to do it evey 100 km but my wife would probably throw the camera
                > out the window ;-)
                >
                > Andrew

                It is not clear if you are moving to Vancouver of Vancouver Island.

                I don't know if there is anybody else in this list living in Victoria.
                But sure, we can always plan a day of pano shooting. Is there interest
                in having such a day out?

                I am in Paris for the next 10 days but we could aim for a day in the
                second half of Oct.

                --daniel
              • Bill Acosta
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                  Hi Andrew,

                  My Name is Guillermo(Bill) Acosta and Yes I live here in Victoria, BC, Canada (Vancouver Island). There are a few pano lovers who are professional photographers, enthusiast and hobbies (like myself) is just matter of them stepping out.

                  I could be of assistance in a limited way; nonetheless better than nothing.

                  What are your plans?

                  Guillermo(Bill) Acosta

                  dmgalpha <dmgerman@...> wrote: --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew G"
                  <conanthedestroya222@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Daniel,
                  >
                  > I'm moving to Vancouver next year, May or June 1st (depending which
                  > has the better weather!) Would love to attend a meeting if one is
                  > organised through out the year
                  >
                  > I'm driving across from Kingston, Ontario and will be taking a 360
                  > shot roughly every 200km to capture the scenery/terrain change. I'd
                  > like to do it evey 100 km but my wife would probably throw the camera
                  > out the window ;-)
                  >
                  > Andrew

                  It is not clear if you are moving to Vancouver of Vancouver Island.

                  I don't know if there is anybody else in this list living in Victoria.
                  But sure, we can always plan a day of pano shooting. Is there interest
                  in having such a day out?

                  I am in Paris for the next 10 days but we could aim for a day in the
                  second half of Oct.

                  --daniel

                • uri-cogan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bill Acosta <tazu1000@...> wrote:

                    > My Name is Guillermo(Bill) Acosta and Yes I live here in Victoria,
                    BC, Canada (Vancouver Island). There are a few pano lovers who are
                    professional photographers, enthusiast and hobbies (like myself) is
                    just matter of them stepping out.

                    I live on Salt Spring Island, between Vancouver (the city) and
                    Vancouver Island (Victoria).

                    A West Coast gathering? nice idea, but I'm no organizer. Meanwhile
                    I'll be happy to meet with other panographers who live or are visiting
                    our area.
                  • Andrew G
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
                      Sorry about that, it's not clear to us either where we'll be moving
                      to :-)

                      We were thinking of somewhere on the mainland first near Vancouver to
                      stand a better chance of getting work and then will check out
                      Vancouver Island during the first 6 months and weigh up the benefits.

                      It's a bit early now but I would be more than happy to come over to
                      the island for a panorama meeting. Can I bring my Pentax K1000!

                      Andrew

                      > It is not clear if you are moving to Vancouver of Vancouver Island.
                      >
                      > I don't know if there is anybody else in this list living in
                      Victoria.
                      > But sure, we can always plan a day of pano shooting. Is there
                      interest
                      > in having such a day out?
                      >
                      > I am in Paris for the next 10 days but we could aim for a day in the
                      > second half of Oct.
                      >
                      > --daniel

                    • Bill Acosta
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
                        Hi Uri,
                        I am not an organizer too, but I am willing to learn ho to put this events together.
                        The key here is, how many people are willing to come to the West Coast. Lets entertain this thought!

                        Any comments?
                        Bill

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 4, 2007
                          Andrew, Daniel,
                          If we are taking votes as to where to meet, I would vote for
                          Victoria, it is smaller than Vancouver and easy to get around, with
                          plenty of great places to meet and many places that would look great
                          captured in a pano.
                          Jim

                          jim@...