Shooting Panos Underwater ??

  • onezebra1
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 18, 2009
      I have a job coming up at a large exotic animal compound. They also have a large pool for the animals to swim in and if I have the equipment I can get shots of tigers swimming and diving along with some other types of animals in it.

      I'm looking for is some advice on shooting underwater panos.
      What type of equipment are other people using for doing panos with only 4 shots?

      My best bet my be to just get an underwater camera with a fisheye lens, or I could try a underwater camera housing for my Canon 5D with a Nikon 10.5mm lens like the 2 items below.

      Nimar NI303D Underwater Housing
      NI31N Dome Port f/ All Nimar NI303D Housings f/ Nikon SLR Cameras

      I would be shooting these from above and using the camera on a pole sticking down into the water.

      Thanks
      Roger Berry
      IndiaVRtours.com
    • ptgroup
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 18, 2009
        Hm Roger,
        Digideep says you housin is for Canon D300, not for the 5D
        http://www.digideep.com/deutsch/digital/foto/kamera/Canon/EOS-5D/7/2141/

        You cant switch the language to English :) (upper right corner)

        Maybe you have investigated that the N300 housing will fit for the 5D too ??

        Ciao
        Mike
        ----------------------------
        ----------------------------
        360° VR Fotografie:
        http://www.360de.de

        NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
        http://www.abstraktfoto.de
        -----------------------------
        Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
        http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 18, 2009
          This one looks pretty ccol:
          http://www.panorama-community.net/wbb/wettbewerb/fullscreen.php?quartal=2009
          _3&pano=12

          I cant get info´s from the user "dafort" - contacted him.
          Maybe he´ll join this list an give you some answers.

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 18, 2009
            Would you be able to run a "live view" video feed from the camera up the pole to a little monitor? I think that would help enormously in getting a nice underwater VR shot with a bit of action in it.

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 18, 2009
              Here's the links to the housing and dome.

              Nimar NI303D Underwater Housing
              http://tinyurl.com/ybqxdcj

              Nimar NI31N Dome Port
              http://tinyurl.com/ybnbdnx

              I would rather use something smaller however this may be the best setup and I think the wireless remote will fit in the housing too.

              I don't see much need for a monitor.
              You can see fairly well into the water.
              Everything will be in the photo when shooting 4 around for 360 degrees.
              With multiple shots rotating the camera, just keep shooting when things look good, later you can pick out the best ones.
              Really not much different from shooting high overhead and seeing what you got later.

              Roger Berry
              IndiaVRtours.com

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bohonus" <bradford@...> wrote:

              > Would you be able to run a "live view" video feed from the camera up the pole to a little monitor? I think that would help enormously in getting a nice underwater VR shot with a bit of action in it.

            • Rick Drew
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 18, 2009
                Actually, I'm working on a pano system for a friend with a Canon camera.
                We're making a bar shaped like a [ (only not on it's side like that) that
                will bridge the two handles under the housing. Then we can connect a cross
                bar from front to back. This will allows us to drill a hole centered under
                the camera, then move the housing back and forth to adjust the nodal point
                (please, no arguments on that term!)

                Then we're making a few different "tripods" - a rod to push into the sandy /
                muddy bottom, a couple of powerful magnet options so we can latch the magnet
                to a shipwreck - we're welding a couple of sleeves to the magnet so the rod
                can be slid into it. Probably one horizontal and one vertical, so we have
                various options on attaching the magnet. We're looking at those extra
                powerful fishing magnets that can be easily removed with a built-in lever.

                You could probably do something similar to the [ bar, only have it bridge
                over instead of under the housing. I's suggest some type of weight for
                under the housing, as they tend to be buoyant. Could youmake it free
                floating, so you lower it into the water, line it up, shoot, and rotate?
                Such as an inner tube? This will reduce pitch/yaw/roll - as long as the
                water is calm!

                I'd also shoot as many images as possible - not just 4 - a re-do in this
                case would be difficult!

                Rick Drew

              • Keith Martin
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 19, 2009
                  Sometime around 19/12/09 (at 01:02 +0000) onezebra1 said:

                  >Nimar NI303D Underwater Housing
                  >http://tinyurl.com/ybqxdcj

                  thanks - but jeepers! These things don't get any cheaper no matter
                  how long I wait. :-(

                • hh20355
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 19, 2009
                    It may me difficult to find a housing and a dome port for a fisheye lens on a canon 5D and if you find it is very expensive.
                    I have a housing from UK-Germany for a Canon 1ds mkII and a 15mm
                    canon fisheye. This will work with 6 shots plus Zenith and Nadir
                    --- http://projekte.360p.de/unterwasser/--- for some examples
                    If you shoot underwater take enough lead with you otherwise even tiny movements near the tripod will knock it down.
                    Greetings
                    dafort

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

                    > I have a job coming up at a large exotic animal compound. They also have a large pool for the animals to swim in and if I have the equipment I can get shots of tigers swimming and diving along with some other types of animals in it.
                    >
                    > I'm looking for is some advice on shooting underwater panos.
                    > What type of equipment are other people using for doing panos with only 4 shots?
                    >
                    > My best bet my be to just get an underwater camera with a fisheye lens, or I could try a underwater camera housing for my Canon 5D with a Nikon 10.5mm lens like the 2 items below.
                    >
                    > Nimar NI303D Underwater Housing
                    > NI31N Dome Port f/ All Nimar NI303D Housings f/ Nikon SLR Cameras
                    >
                    > I would be shooting these from above and using the camera on a pole sticking down into the water.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > Roger Berry
                    > IndiaVRtours.com

                  • onezebra1
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 19, 2009
                      Next week I'm heading over to Backscatter Underwater Video and Photo,
                      They have a few different underwater camera housings for my Canon 5D-II that I can try putting my camera with the Nikon 10.5 mm and wireless remote into.
                      Not sure how far the wireless remote will work when under 4 to 8 feet of water.
                      http://www.backscatter.com/

                      Roger Berry
                      IndiaVRtours.com
                    • Uri Cogan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 19, 2009
                        On 12/19/09 1:53 PM, onezebra1 wrote:

                        > Not sure how far the wireless remote will work when under 4 to 8 feet
                        > of water.

                        Probably not at all. :-(

                        --

                        Uri Cogan
                        http://www.uricogan.com

                        *** My Karma Ran Over My Dogma ***

                      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 20, 2009
                          Quoting Uri Cogan <uri@...>:

                          > On 12/19/09 1:53 PM, onezebra1 wrote:
                          >

                          > > Not sure how far the wireless remote will work when under 4 to 8 feet
                          > > of water.
                          > >

                          > Probably not at all. :-(
                          http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9901E6DC1E3BE03ABC4B51DFB467838C609EDE

                        • onezebra1
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 20, 2009
                            I looked at articles like this about Underwater Radio Communication
                            http://www.qsl.net/vk5br/UwaterComms.htm

                            Another thing is my pole is carbon fiber which is a conductor; this may help the radio waves to travel down to the camera if I'm holding the transmitter against it. Nevertheless, I will test it out before buying the underwater camera housing.

                            Roger Berry

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 20, 2009
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

                              > I looked at articles like this about Underwater Radio Communication
                              > http://www.qsl.net/vk5br/UwaterComms.htm
                              >
                              > Another thing is my pole is carbon fiber which is a conductor; this may help the radio waves to travel down to the camera if I'm holding the transmitter against it. Nevertheless, I will test it out before buying the underwater camera housing.
                              >
                              > Roger Berry

                              In case the wireless doesn't work out- If your camera has a built-in intervalometer, you can set it to start shooting x number of shots spaced out however you like after you drop it down into the water. You will feel the shutter go off through the body of the pole and thus know when to turn it for the next shot (a rare occasion when the Nikon's monstrous mirror-slap is actually helpful).

                              I had to do my NFL game shots this way, because they did not allow wireless transmitters on the field during game time.

                              See:

                              http://tinyurl.com/yb4am2w

                              for an example shot using this method.
                            • Uri Cogan
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 20, 2009
                                On 12/20/09 8:32 AM, crane@... wrote:

                                > Quoting Uri Cogan <uri@... <mailto:uri%40uricogan.com>>:
                                >
                                > > On 12/19/09 1:53 PM, onezebra1 wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > Not sure how far the wireless remote will work when under 4 to 8 feet
                                > > > of water.
                                > >
                                > > Probably not at all. :-(
                                >
                                > http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9901E6DC1E3BE03ABC4B51DFB467838C609EDE
                                > <http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9901E6DC1E3BE03ABC4B51DFB467838C609EDE>

                                Yes, WWII submarines used radio but only on the surface, or with the antennae extended to the air while submerged. The quoted article mentions that fact. Whatever underwater radio communications is used by modern navies is done at extremely low frequencies and requires megawatts of power and vast antenna arrays on land. This allows a submerged modern submarine to receive radio signals, but it still has to stick an antenna out of the water in order to send anything.

                                Another reply by onezebra1@... referred to the article in http://www.qsl.net/vk5br/UwaterComms.htm where it clearly states:

                                Attenuation in sea water is very high and to communicate at any depth at all,
                                it is necessary to use very low frequencies (10 to 30 kHz) where
                                attenuation is in the order of 3.5 to 5 dB per metre. Operation in
                                the lowest frequency amateur band (1.8 MHz) is out of the question
                                at 46 dB per metre.

                                Well, the frequencies used by radio remote controllers, etc. are much, much higher than 30 to 40 kHZ; I am guessing more like 2-6 gHZ - a billion times higher.

                                So my answer remains: not a chance. but... does anybody know about the behaviour of infra-red remote controllers underwater? I imagine the attenuation will be great there too.

                                A more promising area would be underwater remote control of the camera by using ultrasound which travels very well under water, but I'm unaware of such any devices.

                                Uri (Ex-submariner, HAM radio call sign VA7COG)

                              • onezebra1
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 20, 2009
                                  I have an old Canon IR remote that I believe is rated for 100 meters. The transmitter part is rather large and looks like it has a strobe light in the front. The receiver is most likely too large to fit in any underwater camera housing with the camera.
                                  Some of the underwater camera housings use a spring loaded lever for the shutter button, hooking a small line to the lever and pulling on it would work.
                                  I hope to come up with something better than pulling on a string; it will just take some playing around with.

                                  Roger Berry
                                • Uri Cogan
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 20, 2009
                                    On 12/20/09 12:34 PM, onezebra1 wrote:

                                    > I have an old Canon IR remote that I believe is rated for 100 meters.
                                    > The transmitter part is rather large and looks like it has a strobe
                                    > light in the front. The receiver is most likely too large to fit in
                                    > any underwater camera housing with the camera.
                                    > Some of the underwater camera housings use a spring loaded lever for
                                    > the shutter button, hooking a small line to the lever and pulling on
                                    > it would work.
                                    > I hope to come up with something better than pulling on a string; it
                                    > will just take some playing around with.

                                    First, you will have to test how well IR travels underwater. My
                                    experience is that the red part of the spectrum is quickly attenuated,
                                    so the prospects may not be so good. Having said that, many camera
                                    remotes use IR; the Nikon D80 and D70 use such an IR remote that may or
                                    may not work underwater, but it's worth a try.

                                    Some old Polaroid cameras used an ultraonic device to measure the
                                    distance for auto-focusing; such devices should be converted relatively
                                    easily for remote control applications. See:

                                    *http://tinyurl.com/ydvda77*

                                    check out the SensComp package - two of them at $55 apiece ought to do
                                    the job (after some surgery).

                                    --

                                    Uri Cogan
                                    http://www.uricogan.com