Saint Paul de Vence (French Riviera - France) - End of visit

  • Philippe Laval
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2006
      Hello,

      I have added two new panoramas of the old village.
      This closes for now this virtual visit.

      http://philippe.laval.free.fr/SaintPaulVence/index.php

      I plan to continue with Menton and Roquebrune Cap Martin near Monaco.

      Best regards
      Philippe Laval

      PS : I liked the panorama with the Formula 1 (well done - chapeau !)
    • John Riley
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2006
        I have enjoyed this series of panoramas tremendously. The colors of
        the cobblestones, mortar, stones and walls evoke many pleasant
        memories of the south of France. How did you handle white balance/
        color? It seems very true to life.

        I can't wait to see the next ones; I only wish I were there myself.

        John

        John Riley
        johnriley@...
        jriley@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2006
          Le 26 oct. 06 à 00:30, John Riley a écrit :

          > I have enjoyed this series of panoramas tremendously.
          Thank you.

          > The colors of
          > the cobblestones, mortar, stones and walls evoke many pleasant
          > memories of the south of France. How did you handle white balance/
          > color? It seems very true to life._,_._,___

          Well, nothing complicated.
          I have set the D200 to manual white balance (day light).
          You only have to set the manual setting to be sure that the white
          balance will not change when you
          take the pictures around. I check the result on the D200 and the
          colors I have in front of me to be sure to have
          the right setting. As you take picture in raw the white balance can
          be changed afterwards too.

          Also, the color are now better (end of september/october). When
          taking pictures
          in july/august you need to wait until 4/5 or even 6 hour pm.
          This enable you to have light in the houses at almost the same level
          than outside light level.
          You get the warm color in the houses because of white balance set on
          "day light".

          For post processing the raw images, I am using Nikon Capture with D-
          Light on.
          if you set the parameters to have a small modification, this will
          enable to decrease the contrast between the shadow and high light.
          If the amount of modification is too high you will get a "strange"
          picture (well exposed but strange because you don't have shadows).

          I hope my english is good enought so that you understood.

          Philippe

        • John Riley
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 26, 2006
            I guess I was wondering if you shot a white card to use for getting
            the white-balance in RAW conversion or if you just rely on memory.
            In either case, you have made it look very pleasing.

            John

            John Riley
            johnriley@...
            jriley@...