Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: lens for panorama images

  • AYRTON
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
      It seems to be a very good lens
      Mitchel Toby did some great tests with it

      Search on the list archives for old msgs about this lens
      You'll find a lot of infos

      I'm thinking to buy one too :-)

      best
      AYRTON

      On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:03 PM, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

      > Is Samyang 8mm lens a good lens or should I buy Nikkor 10.5 or Sigma at 3x
      > the price?
      > I'm still learning from all in this group, so I need as much help as I can
      > get. I want you to know that I appreciate it a lot. I maybe a little slow
      > for some of you, but I'm not "a spring chicken" anymore.
      > Thank you!
      >
      > RobLee

      ------------
      | A Y R |
      | T O N |
    • Paulo Fernandes
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
        I have one and I absolutely love it ;) for it's price its a great lens. a
        bit problematic with direct sunlight (flare) but quite sharp.
        Read Michel Toby tests, great info....
        http://michel.thoby.free.fr/SAMYANG/Early%20test%20report.html
        Or this review:
        http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=160

        Here's a panorama I made when I bought it:
        http://go360.gogopixel.pt/samyang/

        Com os melhores cumprimentos,

        Paulo Fernandes
        Multimedia

        ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multim�dia
        Cal�ada do Lidador, 22, 1�Andar
        4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
        Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

        On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:39 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

        > It seems to be a very good lens
        > Mitchel Toby did some great tests with it
        >
        > Search on the list archives for old msgs about this lens
        > You'll find a lot of infos
        >
        > I'm thinking to buy one too :-)
        >
        > best
        > AYRTON
        >

        > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:03 PM, RobLee <roblee007@...<roblee007%40yahoo.com>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > Is Samyang 8mm lens a good lens or should I buy Nikkor 10.5 or Sigma at
        > 3x
        > > the price?
        > > I'm still learning from all in this group, so I need as much help as I
        > can
        > > get. I want you to know that I appreciate it a lot. I maybe a little slow
        > > for some of you, but I'm not "a spring chicken" anymore.
        > > Thank you!
        > >
        > > RobLee
        > >
        > > --- On Tue, 12/1/09, Eduardo Hutter <montreal360@...<montreal360%40gmail.com>>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > From: Eduardo Hutter <montreal360@... <montreal360%40gmail.com>>
        > > Subject: Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: lens for panorama images
        > > To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
        > > Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2009, 8:54 AM

        > > That way you can cover the panohead arm that holds the camera: put
        > > them
        > >
        > > together in one same file > two layers > top layer in difference mode >
        > >
        > > rotate and nudge upper layer carefully matching details on the region
        > >
        > > you are going to cover/mask > create a mask > paint it with a brush to
        > >
        > > hide the arm. Now you have a nadir shot without the arm, just the tripod
        > >
        > > and part of the head below. The same goes for the remnant tripod if you
        > >
        > > shot a nadir w/o the tripod. In this case you'll would probably use
        > >
        > > transform/distort/ warp/skew quite a bit to match things.
        > >

        > > I'm sure that at the wiki we have a tutorial about it, the address is
        > >
        > > down below PTNG messages. Hans also has a couple of tutorials about it.

        > > * RobLee wrote, On 01/12/2009 10:34 AM:
        > >

        > > > I d'l zip and then deleted your message. Played with images in APP.
        > > Getting old here, so wanted
        > >
        > > > to make sure. Can you tell me why nadir was shot twice in reversed
        > > direction? Thank you!
        > >

        > > > RobLee

        > > --

      • Hans
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

          > I d'l zip and then deleted your message. Played with images in APP. Getting old here, so wanted to make sure. Can you tell me why nadir was shot twice in reversed direction?
          > Thank you!

          There is absolutely no need to take those images with the rotator in them.
          Try and stitch without them and you will see that you cover down to the tripod even with the 6 around not tilted down.

          With other fullframe fisheyes we take the 6 around at -10 or -15 so that we cover it all down to the rotator.
          The vertical field of the Samyang is 152 degrees so you do not need more than -5 t see the rotator at the bottom edge of the images.

          It also means that you can do it with 45 or even 4 images around.

          Hans

          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
            RobLee wrote:

            > If resolution will be 20% lower than does it that image wont be as good?

            Which lens with which sensor size and pixel count will give which
            maximum resolution can be found on
            http://wiki.panotools.org/DSLR_spherical_resolution

            best regards
          • RobLee
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
              So, if I read all your messages correctly, you are saying that my pano images would benefit if I had Samyang 8mm lens vs Tokina 116?
              Just want to make sure before I commit $300.
              Thank you!

              RobLee

            • Hans
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

                > So, if I read all your messages correctly, you are saying that my pano images would benefit if I had Samyang 8mm lens vs Tokina 116?
                > Just want to make sure before I commit $300.
                > Thank you!

                I would express it different.

                Your workflow would benefit a lot as you do not need to take as many images.

                Quality of the final panoramas in the size you need for fullscreen display will be practically the same.

                Hans
              • RobLee
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 2, 2009
                  I just found this photos taken with Samyang 8mm lens.
                  It looks to me like it is DX lens. Am I correct? Will I be able to produce good enough pano images for printing?
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/5y12u3k...7619250695100/
                  Thank you!

                  RobLee