Re: [PanoToolsNG] Immersive video camera

  • Matthew Rogers
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
      Build your own :)

      Matt

      On 1 Dec 2009, at 09:16, Bostjan Burger wrote:

      > I am
      > planning to buy a camera for a hi quality immersive video. I have tested a
      > Ladbug2 but it is a poor quality. Even Ladybug3 with 2Mpix is not with a good quality for my
      > work. Any suggestions?

    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
        Thinking about that...but if there is a chance that it already exist, why wasting my time ;)
        :) Bostjan

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
          I see some serious misunderstandings about panoramic video cameras. People complain about the resolution of the ladybug cameras, yet even those videos published on the web are too big load and enjoy by most people.

          what is it that you want exactly, bostjan?
          who do you want to show these videos to?
          on the web? or in a cinema on a 4k projector? they'd require completely different hardware.
          can your computer really handle the raw streams of multiple cameras that are 2 or 4 megapixels each (which I presume is what you need, bostjan, if the sensors of the ladybug 3 are too low)

          (I'm not defending Ladybug btw - their stitching and colors for me leave a lot to be desired)

          in reality, if you want to actually show 360 video to people, you're stuck with the Web, and thus a low resolution.

          otherwise, you can buy 2 or 3 canon 5d mk2 cameras - cheaper than ladybug, higher rez. here is a sample:

          interactive -
          http://vrlog.net/temp/panoramic-video/atlanta
          flat -
          http://vrlog.net/temp/panoramic-video/atlanta/video.avi
          (THANKS to sacha griffin for shooting it.)
          (warning, big-ass heavy file (as I said - this is higer resolution than needed for web, using a codec that isn't meant for this application.))

          Finally - if you want higher resolution than ladybug3, using cameras you're going to source yourself, you will pay more than $20,000, and you'll have a LOT of unforeseen problems. I know ;-)

          Jeffrey

          > I am
          > planning to buy a camera for a hi quality immersive video. I have tested a
          > Ladbug2 but it is a poor quality. Even Ladybug3 with 2Mpix is not with a good quality for my
          > work. Any suggestions?

        • luca vascon
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
            I would go for a number of RED cameras with 4.5 Sigma or Nikon 10.5
            fisheyes on them.
            :-)
            They are small enough to be compacted in a small package.
            OR, a big RED camera facing a mirror. Selfbuilt one. www.ottichezen.it

            2009/12/1 prague <360cities@...>:

            > I see some serious misunderstandings about panoramic video cameras. People complain about the resolution of the ladybug cameras, yet even those videos published on the web are too big load and enjoy by most people.
            >
            > what is it that you want exactly, bostjan?
            > who do you want to show these videos to?
            > on the web? or in a cinema on a 4k projector? they'd require completely different hardware.
            > can your computer really handle the raw streams of multiple cameras that are 2 or 4 megapixels each (which I presume is what you need, bostjan, if the sensors of the ladybug 3 are too low)
            >
            > (I'm not defending Ladybug btw - their stitching and colors for me leave a lot to be desired)
            >

            > in reality, if you want to actually show 360 video to people, you're stuck with the Web, and thus a low resolution.
            >
            > otherwise, you can buy 2 or 3 canon 5d mk2 cameras - cheaper than ladybug, higher rez. here is a sample:
            >
            > interactive -
            > http://vrlog.net/temp/panoramic-video/atlanta
            > flat -
            > http://vrlog.net/temp/panoramic-video/atlanta/video.avi
            > (THANKS to sacha griffin for shooting it.)
            > (warning, big-ass heavy file (as I said - this is higer resolution than needed for web, using a codec that isn't meant for this application.))
            >
            > Finally - if you want higher resolution than ladybug3, using cameras you're going to source yourself, you will pay more than $20,000, and you'll have a LOT of unforeseen problems. I know ;-)
            >
            > Jeffrey
            >

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> I am
            >> planning to buy a camera for a hi quality immersive video. I have tested a
            >> Ladbug2 but it is a poor quality. Even Ladybug3 with 2Mpix is not with a good quality for my
            >> work. Any suggestions?

            Luca Vascon.

            www.canalview.it
            www.officinepanottiche.com
          • Jim Watters
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
              You could try a bunch of Elphel cameras
              http://community.elphel.com/pictures/elphel354-10-open.jpg

              --
              Jim Watters
              http://photocreations.ca
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
                Thanks......what I saw is a very good quality video but I found only wide panoramic samples with smooth streaming (btw.. I don't need it for a web, so heavy files are not a problem). Still digging Elphel to find some full 360° immersive video samples.
                :) Bostjan

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009

                  > Thanks......what I saw is a very good quality video but I found only wide panoramic samples with smooth streaming (btw.. I don't need it for a web, so heavy files are not a problem). Still digging Elphel to find some full 360° immersive video samples.
                  > :) Bostjan

                  the was/is a discount if you can submit source code back to elphel under gpl :)

                  if you could write this under gpl
                  http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20081120/161500/

                  there is your discount :)

                  tom sparks
                  PS: see http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/27945 for early talk about this idea
                • jrgen_schrader
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                    Probably you meant these:
                    http://www.costruzioniottichezen.com/

                    Would love to browse their waste bin, though ;)

                    Jürgen

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                      Yesss..
                      Here he is..
                      :-)

                      2009/12/2 jrgen_schrader <panorama@...>:
                      > Probably you meant these:
                      > http://www.costruzioniottichezen.com/
                      >
                      > Would love to browse their waste bin, though ;)
                      >
                      > Jürgen
                      >
                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I would go for a number of RED cameras with 4.5 Sigma or Nikon 10.5
                      >> fisheyes on them.
                      >> :-)
                      >> They are small enough to be compacted in a small package.
                      >> OR, a big RED camera facing a mirror. Selfbuilt one. www.ottichezen.it
                      >>
                      >> 2009/12/1 prague <360cities@...>:
                      >> >
                      >> > I see some serious misunderstandings about panoramic video cameras. People complain about the resolution of the ladybug cameras, yet even those videos published on the web are too big load and enjoy by most people.
                      >> >
                      >> > what is it that you want exactly, bostjan?
                      >> > who do you want to show these videos to?
                      >> > on the web? or in a cinema on a 4k projector? they'd require completely different hardware.
                      >> > can your computer really handle the raw streams of multiple cameras that are 2 or 4 megapixels each (which I presume is what you need, bostjan, if the sensors of the ladybug 3 are too low)
                      >> >
                      >> > (I'm not defending Ladybug btw - their stitching and colors for me leave a lot to be desired)
                      >> >

                      >> > in reality, if you want to actually show 360 video to people, you're stuck with the Web, and thus a low resolution.
                      >> >
                      >> > otherwise, you can buy 2 or 3 canon 5d mk2 cameras - cheaper than ladybug, higher rez. here is a sample:
                      >> >
                      >> > interactive -
                      >> > http://vrlog.net/temp/panoramic-video/atlanta
                      >> > flat -
                      >> > http://vrlog.net/temp/panoramic-video/atlanta/video.avi
                      >> > (THANKS to sacha griffin for shooting it.)
                      >> > (warning, big-ass heavy file (as I said - this is higer resolution than needed for web, using a codec that isn't meant for this application.))
                      >> >
                      >> > Finally - if you want higher resolution than ladybug3, using cameras you're going to source yourself, you will pay more than $20,000, and you'll have a LOT of unforeseen problems. I know ;-)
                      >> >
                      >> > Jeffrey

                      >> > --
                      >> >

                      >> --
                      >> Luca Vascon.
                      >>
                      >> www.canalview.it
                      >> www.officinepanottiche.com

                      Luca Vascon.

                      www.canalview.it
                      www.officinepanottiche.com
                    • Roger D. Williams
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                        I was interested in this (Elphel camera) too, but the prices page was
                        broken.

                        Roger W.

                        On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:28:20 +0900, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Thanks......what I saw is a very good quality video but I found only
                        > wide panoramic samples with smooth streaming (btw.. I don't need it for
                        > a web, so heavy files are not a problem). Still digging Elphel to find
                        > some full 360° immersive video samples.
                        > :) Bostjan

                        Business: www.adex-japan.com
                        Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                      • Jim Watters
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                          Bostjan Burger wrote:
                          > Still digging Elphel to find some full 360° immersive video samples.
                          > :) Bostjan

                          I found this blog entry talking about using Elphel cameras for panoramic
                          video.
                          http://blogs.elphel.com/2009/11/temporary-diversion/#more-703

                          --
                          Jim Watters

                          jwatters@...
                          http://photocreations.ca
                        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                            Quoting Jim Watters <jwatters@...>:

                            > Bostjan Burger wrote:
                            > > Still digging Elphel to find some full 360° immersive video samples.
                            > > :) Bostjan
                            > >
                            > I found this blog entry talking about using Elphel cameras for panoramic
                            > video.
                            > http://blogs.elphel.com/2009/11/temporary-diversion/#more-703

                            I was thinking about this again the other day and I wondered about 2 mirrors
                            like a periscope spinning in the centre and at right angles to a stationary
                            circular array of cameras which it triggers to fire in sequence. It would need
                            to spin at whatever the frame rate was per second. eg 25.
                            I hadn't thought about a window to protect the mirror but I guess that could be
                            spinning as well.

                            regards

                            Mick

                          • Bostjan Burger
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                              Thanks ...Andrey sent is to me today to my p.e. It is interesting concept.
                              :) Bostjan

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                                Sort of like this?
                                http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Research/ConcaveSurroundOptics/

                              • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                                  Quoting Christian Bloch <Blochi@...>:

                                  > Sort of like this?
                                  > http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Research/ConcaveSurroundOptics/

                                  sort of the right shape. the circular mirror would be the cameras and the camera
                                  a mirror.
                                  cheers
                                  mick