Immersive video camera

  • Bostjan Burger
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
      I am
      planning to buy a camera for a hi quality immersive video. I have tested a
      Ladbug2 but it is a poor quality. Even Ladybug3 with 2Mpix is not with a good quality for my
      work. Any suggestions?

    • Matthew Rogers
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
        Build your own :)

        Matt

        On 1 Dec 2009, at 09:16, Bostjan Burger wrote:

        > I am
        > planning to buy a camera for a hi quality immersive video. I have tested a
        > Ladbug2 but it is a poor quality. Even Ladybug3 with 2Mpix is not with a good quality for my
        > work. Any suggestions?

      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
          Thinking about that...but if there is a chance that it already exist, why wasting my time ;)
          :) Bostjan

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
            I see some serious misunderstandings about panoramic video cameras. People complain about the resolution of the ladybug cameras, yet even those videos published on the web are too big load and enjoy by most people.

            what is it that you want exactly, bostjan?
            who do you want to show these videos to?
            on the web? or in a cinema on a 4k projector? they'd require completely different hardware.
            can your computer really handle the raw streams of multiple cameras that are 2 or 4 megapixels each (which I presume is what you need, bostjan, if the sensors of the ladybug 3 are too low)

            (I'm not defending Ladybug btw - their stitching and colors for me leave a lot to be desired)

            in reality, if you want to actually show 360 video to people, you're stuck with the Web, and thus a low resolution.

            otherwise, you can buy 2 or 3 canon 5d mk2 cameras - cheaper than ladybug, higher rez. here is a sample:

            interactive -
            http://vrlog.net/temp/panoramic-video/atlanta
            flat -
            http://vrlog.net/temp/panoramic-video/atlanta/video.avi
            (THANKS to sacha griffin for shooting it.)
            (warning, big-ass heavy file (as I said - this is higer resolution than needed for web, using a codec that isn't meant for this application.))

            Finally - if you want higher resolution than ladybug3, using cameras you're going to source yourself, you will pay more than $20,000, and you'll have a LOT of unforeseen problems. I know ;-)

            Jeffrey

            > I am
            > planning to buy a camera for a hi quality immersive video. I have tested a
            > Ladbug2 but it is a poor quality. Even Ladybug3 with 2Mpix is not with a good quality for my
            > work. Any suggestions?

          • luca vascon
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
              I would go for a number of RED cameras with 4.5 Sigma or Nikon 10.5
              fisheyes on them.
              :-)
              They are small enough to be compacted in a small package.
              OR, a big RED camera facing a mirror. Selfbuilt one. www.ottichezen.it

              2009/12/1 prague <360cities@...>:

              > I see some serious misunderstandings about panoramic video cameras. People complain about the resolution of the ladybug cameras, yet even those videos published on the web are too big load and enjoy by most people.
              >
              > what is it that you want exactly, bostjan?
              > who do you want to show these videos to?
              > on the web? or in a cinema on a 4k projector? they'd require completely different hardware.
              > can your computer really handle the raw streams of multiple cameras that are 2 or 4 megapixels each (which I presume is what you need, bostjan, if the sensors of the ladybug 3 are too low)
              >
              > (I'm not defending Ladybug btw - their stitching and colors for me leave a lot to be desired)
              >

              > in reality, if you want to actually show 360 video to people, you're stuck with the Web, and thus a low resolution.
              >
              > otherwise, you can buy 2 or 3 canon 5d mk2 cameras - cheaper than ladybug, higher rez. here is a sample:
              >
              > interactive -
              > http://vrlog.net/temp/panoramic-video/atlanta
              > flat -
              > http://vrlog.net/temp/panoramic-video/atlanta/video.avi
              > (THANKS to sacha griffin for shooting it.)
              > (warning, big-ass heavy file (as I said - this is higer resolution than needed for web, using a codec that isn't meant for this application.))
              >
              > Finally - if you want higher resolution than ladybug3, using cameras you're going to source yourself, you will pay more than $20,000, and you'll have a LOT of unforeseen problems. I know ;-)
              >
              > Jeffrey
              >

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> I am
              >> planning to buy a camera for a hi quality immersive video. I have tested a
              >> Ladbug2 but it is a poor quality. Even Ladybug3 with 2Mpix is not with a good quality for my
              >> work. Any suggestions?

              Luca Vascon.

              www.canalview.it
              www.officinepanottiche.com
            • Jim Watters
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
                You could try a bunch of Elphel cameras
                http://community.elphel.com/pictures/elphel354-10-open.jpg

                --
                Jim Watters
                http://photocreations.ca
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
                  Thanks......what I saw is a very good quality video but I found only wide panoramic samples with smooth streaming (btw.. I don't need it for a web, so heavy files are not a problem). Still digging Elphel to find some full 360° immersive video samples.
                  :) Bostjan

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009

                    > Thanks......what I saw is a very good quality video but I found only wide panoramic samples with smooth streaming (btw.. I don't need it for a web, so heavy files are not a problem). Still digging Elphel to find some full 360° immersive video samples.
                    > :) Bostjan

                    the was/is a discount if you can submit source code back to elphel under gpl :)

                    if you could write this under gpl
                    http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20081120/161500/

                    there is your discount :)

                    tom sparks
                    PS: see http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/27945 for early talk about this idea
                  • jrgen_schrader
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                      Probably you meant these:
                      http://www.costruzioniottichezen.com/

                      Would love to browse their waste bin, though ;)

                      Jürgen

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                        Yesss..
                        Here he is..
                        :-)

                        2009/12/2 jrgen_schrader <panorama@...>:
                        > Probably you meant these:
                        > http://www.costruzioniottichezen.com/
                        >
                        > Would love to browse their waste bin, though ;)
                        >
                        > Jürgen
                        >
                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I would go for a number of RED cameras with 4.5 Sigma or Nikon 10.5
                        >> fisheyes on them.
                        >> :-)
                        >> They are small enough to be compacted in a small package.
                        >> OR, a big RED camera facing a mirror. Selfbuilt one. www.ottichezen.it
                        >>
                        >> 2009/12/1 prague <360cities@...>:
                        >> >
                        >> > I see some serious misunderstandings about panoramic video cameras. People complain about the resolution of the ladybug cameras, yet even those videos published on the web are too big load and enjoy by most people.
                        >> >
                        >> > what is it that you want exactly, bostjan?
                        >> > who do you want to show these videos to?
                        >> > on the web? or in a cinema on a 4k projector? they'd require completely different hardware.
                        >> > can your computer really handle the raw streams of multiple cameras that are 2 or 4 megapixels each (which I presume is what you need, bostjan, if the sensors of the ladybug 3 are too low)
                        >> >
                        >> > (I'm not defending Ladybug btw - their stitching and colors for me leave a lot to be desired)
                        >> >

                        >> > in reality, if you want to actually show 360 video to people, you're stuck with the Web, and thus a low resolution.
                        >> >
                        >> > otherwise, you can buy 2 or 3 canon 5d mk2 cameras - cheaper than ladybug, higher rez. here is a sample:
                        >> >
                        >> > interactive -
                        >> > http://vrlog.net/temp/panoramic-video/atlanta
                        >> > flat -
                        >> > http://vrlog.net/temp/panoramic-video/atlanta/video.avi
                        >> > (THANKS to sacha griffin for shooting it.)
                        >> > (warning, big-ass heavy file (as I said - this is higer resolution than needed for web, using a codec that isn't meant for this application.))
                        >> >
                        >> > Finally - if you want higher resolution than ladybug3, using cameras you're going to source yourself, you will pay more than $20,000, and you'll have a LOT of unforeseen problems. I know ;-)
                        >> >
                        >> > Jeffrey

                        >> > --
                        >> >

                        >> --
                        >> Luca Vascon.
                        >>
                        >> www.canalview.it
                        >> www.officinepanottiche.com

                        Luca Vascon.

                        www.canalview.it
                        www.officinepanottiche.com
                      • Roger D. Williams
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                          I was interested in this (Elphel camera) too, but the prices page was
                          broken.

                          Roger W.

                          On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:28:20 +0900, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Thanks......what I saw is a very good quality video but I found only
                          > wide panoramic samples with smooth streaming (btw.. I don't need it for
                          > a web, so heavy files are not a problem). Still digging Elphel to find
                          > some full 360° immersive video samples.
                          > :) Bostjan

                          Business: www.adex-japan.com
                          Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                        • Jim Watters
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                            Bostjan Burger wrote:
                            > Still digging Elphel to find some full 360° immersive video samples.
                            > :) Bostjan

                            I found this blog entry talking about using Elphel cameras for panoramic
                            video.
                            http://blogs.elphel.com/2009/11/temporary-diversion/#more-703

                            --
                            Jim Watters

                            jwatters@...
                            http://photocreations.ca
                          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                              Quoting Jim Watters <jwatters@...>:

                              > Bostjan Burger wrote:
                              > > Still digging Elphel to find some full 360° immersive video samples.
                              > > :) Bostjan
                              > >
                              > I found this blog entry talking about using Elphel cameras for panoramic
                              > video.
                              > http://blogs.elphel.com/2009/11/temporary-diversion/#more-703

                              I was thinking about this again the other day and I wondered about 2 mirrors
                              like a periscope spinning in the centre and at right angles to a stationary
                              circular array of cameras which it triggers to fire in sequence. It would need
                              to spin at whatever the frame rate was per second. eg 25.
                              I hadn't thought about a window to protect the mirror but I guess that could be
                              spinning as well.

                              regards

                              Mick

                            • Bostjan Burger
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                                Thanks ...Andrey sent is to me today to my p.e. It is interesting concept.
                                :) Bostjan

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                                  Sort of like this?
                                  http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Research/ConcaveSurroundOptics/

                                • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                                    Quoting Christian Bloch <Blochi@...>:

                                    > Sort of like this?
                                    > http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Research/ConcaveSurroundOptics/

                                    sort of the right shape. the circular mirror would be the cameras and the camera
                                    a mirror.
                                    cheers
                                    mick