Is possible to create a spherical panorama at night on a polecam?

  • felipe
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
      I have been asked today to take some polecam spherical panoramas at night, does any one have some experience on it?

      I believe that I will have to use long exposures and the polecam will not be a stable plantform, also the camera have to use a rotation system with "stations" to allow for the long exposures.

      is possible to get professional images?

      Thanks
    • luca vascon
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
        http://www.360cities.net/image/4th-bridge-on-grand-canal-19-5-in-venice-italy-by-luca-vascon
        Yes.
        Canon 20D.
        :0)

        2009/11/30 felipe <felipe_ing@...>:
        > I have been asked today to take some polecam spherical panoramas at night, does any one have some experience on it?
        >
        > I believe that I will have to use long exposures and the polecam will not be a stable plantform, also the camera have to use a rotation system with "stations" to allow for the long exposures.
        >
        > is possible to get professional images?
        >
        > Thanks

        Luca Vascon.

        www.canalview.it
        www.officinepanottiche.com
      • felipe
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
          Nice pictures, but I have to provide higher pictures, as www.rvv.com.au

          Regards

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

          > http://www.360cities.net/image/4th-bridge-on-grand-canal-19-5-in-venice-italy-by-luca-vascon
          > Yes.
          > Canon 20D.
          > :0)
          >
          > 2009/11/30 felipe <felipe_ing@...>:
          > > I have been asked today to take some polecam spherical panoramas at night, does any one have some experience on it?
          > >
          > > I believe that I will have to use long exposures and the polecam will not be a stable plantform, also the camera have to use a rotation system with "stations" to allow for the long exposures.
          > >
          > > is possible to get professional images?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >

          > > ------------------------------------
          > >
          > > --
          > >

          > --
          > Luca Vascon.
          >
          > www.canalview.it
          > www.officinepanottiche.com

        • Ron Rack
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
            Felipe,
            I use a tall pole up to 6m BUT it is attached to a heavy duty tripod
            stand, would not work for crowd scenes but I use it for panos where I
            can set up equipment. Even so it is very shaky up there for long
            exposures and requires a pretty long time to settle down after I turn
            the pole to each new position. See results here at about 4m tall:
            http://rackphoto.com/pp/prayerplaces/holy-cross-immaculata/
            scroll down to the pano at the bottom of the list

            ron rack

            On Nov 30, 2009, at 4:26 PM, felipe wrote:

            > I have been asked today to take some polecam spherical panoramas at
            > night, does any one have some experience on it?
            >
            > I believe that I will have to use long exposures and the polecam
            > will not be a stable plantform, also the camera have to use a
            > rotation system with "stations" to allow for the long exposures.
            >
            > is possible to get professional images?
            >
            > Thanks

          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ron Rack <ronrack@...> wrote:

              > Felipe,
              > I use a tall pole up to 6m BUT it is attached to a heavy duty tripod
              > stand, would not work for crowd scenes but I use it for panos where I
              > can set up equipment. Even so it is very shaky up there for long
              > exposures and requires a pretty long time to settle down after I turn
              > the pole to each new position. See results here at about 4m tall:
              > http://rackphoto.com/pp/prayerplaces/holy-cross-immaculata/
              > scroll down to the pano at the bottom of the list
              >
              > ron rack
              >

              > On Nov 30, 2009, at 4:26 PM, felipe wrote:
              >
              > > I have been asked today to take some polecam spherical panoramas at
              > > night, does any one have some experience on it?
              > >
              > > I believe that I will have to use long exposures and the polecam
              > > will not be a stable plantform, also the camera have to use a
              > > rotation system with "stations" to allow for the long exposures.
              > >
              > > is possible to get professional images?
              > >
              > > Thanks

              You need to clamp the pole to a tripod. You need to have a motorized camera rotator. You need guy ropes or cables. You need a calm night.
              I often use the Pod beanbag thing at the base to provide some counter weight and a high friction interface with an uneven ground.
              http://www.praimaging.com.au/l274-the-pod.html

              Peter m
            • jrgen_schrader
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
                Depends on what one calls professional and how nightish night really is.
                A usual streetview at high ISO is no problem from a pole.
                Just go out and make a test on your own.

                Cheers
                Jürgen

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "felipe" <felipe_ing@...> wrote:

                > I have been asked today to take some polecam spherical panoramas at night, does any one have some experience on it?
                >
                > I believe that I will have to use long exposures and the polecam will not be a stable plantform, also the camera have to use a rotation system with "stations" to allow for the long exposures.
                >
                > is possible to get professional images?
                >
                > Thanks

              • jrgen_schrader
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
                  I even found an example I shot years ago.
                  Nikon 10.5 EOS 5D ISO 1600.
                  Probably thats not "professional" enough :) but one could do much better now with a MkII.

                  jürgen

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "felipe" <felipe_ing@...> wrote:

                  > I have been asked today to take some polecam spherical panoramas at night, does any one have some experience on it?
                  >
                  > I believe that I will have to use long exposures and the polecam will not be a stable plantform, also the camera have to use a rotation system with "stations" to allow for the long exposures.
                  >
                  > is possible to get professional images?
                  >
                  > Thanks

                • Hans
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "felipe" <felipe_ing@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have been asked today to take some polecam spherical panoramas at night, does any one have some experience on it?
                    > >
                    > > I believe that I will have to use long exposures and the polecam will not be a stable plantform, also the camera have to use a rotation system with "stations" to allow for the long exposures.
                    > >
                    > > is possible to get professional images?

                    Here is one made by Gilles Vidal a couple of years ago.
                    http://www.gillesvidal.com/st-etienne%5b1].htm

                    As far as I remember it is with a Canon 5D + 15mm fisheye
                    The pole is the Giant Manfrotto Lightstand 7.5m and rotation is simply done by turning it on the bottom extension.

                    Hans
                  • Hans
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009

                      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "felipe" <felipe_ing@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I have been asked today to take some polecam spherical panoramas at night, does any one have some experience on it?
                      > > >
                      > > > I believe that I will have to use long exposures and the polecam will not be a stable plantform, also the camera have to use a rotation system with "stations" to allow for the long exposures.
                      > > >
                      > > > is possible to get professional images?
                      >
                      > Here is one made by Gilles Vidal a couple of years ago.
                      > http://www.gillesvidal.com/st-etienne%5b1].htm
                      >
                      > As far as I remember it is with a Canon 5D + 15mm fisheye
                      > The pole is the Giant Manfrotto Lightstand 7.5m and rotation is simply done by turning it on the bottom extension.

                      And here are the data from his original post.

                    • luca vascon
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
                        I'd use BigAgnos. 4 pieces are 6m. 8mm sigma on hi-res apsc